Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2024, 02:04 PM

1,339 posts, read 650,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I first responded to thrill's post. He posted, "1390 people died in Katrina. If 70% of the nation is Christian, then that's 970 Christians that God let die without helping them.?"

It's as if in thrill's mind, that IF someone says they're Christian, that ALL Christians are alike. They all think the same way, believe the same way... and should get 'help' when calling upon the Lord.

Meanwhile, the Bible doesn't say that. It DOES say that as believers, we WILL go through 'trials'.

God never said, "As long as you're a believer, you'll live FOREVER on this earth, in your human bodies."
I think we, or at least most of us, know what kind of an atheist Thrillo is based on the kind of posts he makes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 02:33 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I think we, or at least most of us, know what kind of an atheist Thrillo is based on the kind of posts he makes.
For the record, if 1,390 people died in Katrina, probably 1,300+ of them were Christian, given geography and demographics

Old 01-05-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
For the record, if 1,390 people died in Katrina, probably 1,300+ of them were Christian, given geography and demographics
I'm not arguing against the statistics.

I was talking about what kind of atheist Thrillo is

Thrillo loves to emphasize how stupid and delusional Christians are and how Jesus doesn't exist and how God does absolutely nothing for anyone. Thrillo is like the grump old man in the neighborhood who's been through some hard **** and doesn't want to smile at anyone. Drinks beer and grumbles whenever he sees kids walking across his front lawn.

I consider myself somewhat of an agnostic Christian. I do believe there is a higher power. I think most Christians confuse prayer with coincidence. If something good happens because someone took action and the outcome was good and there was a person who just so happen to be praying for the good outcome, they would say "God is good! he made the outcome good!" though in reality, the outcome was good because someone took action. I think religious people use God as a way to make themselves feel better when explaining situations.

But I'm not a grumpy old guy who shakes his fist at God.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:31 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not saying it's your own fault. I'm saying, this is what works for me, and it doesn't change my truth and my belief if you say it doesn't work for you. So, in that sense, I don't care what you say, don't care about your demands for proof, this is what works for me and I don't owe you a convincing debate.

Similar, to me saying when I get a tickle or cough in my throat, I pop in a Fisherman's Friend lozenge, and it's GONE, immediately. Someone telling me that doesn't work for them doesn't make me stop buying Fisherman's Friend, or even make me feel compelled to tell you why FF works for me. Or even discover what the ingredients are, and why they work.
I have never demanded any "proof" from you or anyone else, nor do I care to debate.

To reiterate, so you are clear, I am a person who spent much of her life seeking God through Christianity and was just left empty wondering why some of you seem to get the answers and others of us are left with silence.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have never demanded any "proof" from you or anyone else, nor do I care to debate.

To reiterate, so you are clear, I am a person who spent much of her life seeking God through Christianity and was just left empty wondering why some of you seem to get the answers and others of us are left with silence.
I know your post wasn't directed to me but, I wanted to point out this part:

"wondering why some of you seem to get the answers and others of us are left with silence."

That's the challenge. How does a person know if they are getting answers? Maybe they think they are getting answers but they really aren't. For those left in silence, perhaps the answer came to them but they ignored it, missed it, or overlooked it.

Oftentimes, people give up and just live their lives not paying any attention to God or they proclaim themselves as Christians but they choose not to go too deep into their faith. They just go to church, pray, and be happy.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:53 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,852 times
Quote:

My heart goes out to you Mightyqueen. My prayer is that everyone on this forum, and those who never heard of it, will one day feel the Love of God, which passeth all understanding.

As I've posted, I don't believe much in the bible, but I do believe this verse, which is my favorite:

Romans 5:5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God's Love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:32 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
My heart goes out to you Mightyqueen. My prayer is that everyone on this forum, and those who never heard of it, will one day feel the Love of God, which passeth all understanding.

As I've posted, I don't believe much in the bible, but I do believe this verse, which is my favorite:

Romans 5:5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God's Love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
No thanks. I'm a Buddhist.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:48 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post

The verse doesn't mean much if one cannot relate to it.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No thanks. I'm a Buddhist.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
The verse doesn't mean much if one cannot relate to it.
Maybe some people might prefer this prayer for children (written by yours truly with help from my very best friend):

Children's Prayer for the Divine Love

Dear God in Heaven above,
I pray to receive Your Divine Love.

Wishing for my soul to open up nice and wide,
For You to pour Your Love inside.

Please make me strong with faith and care,
As it is Your Love that I wish to share.

I know all my wishes may not be granted,
But Your Love and blessings are firmly planted.

You are my creator and love me as Your child,
Please keep me protected when life gets wild.

I’m happy You watch over me day and night,
And I pray to You, God, with all of my might.

Thank You for loving me and hearing my prayer,
It feels great to know that You really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality