Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2024, 10:43 AM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Reputation: 3584

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
To make a long story short, a disgruntled ex-employee has filed a complaint that she was let go because of her Christian faith. No further explanation. I don't have a religious background, but I was surprised by the complaint since everyone in the place is some kind of Christian. I was told no, not Mrs. R, she's Catholic. I was confused by this answer and tried asking another employee who said no, they're different. I agree there are differences between the denominations, but there's no way I can accept that Catholics aren't Christians. What am I missing?
It really depends on what you mean by "Christian". What IS a Christian, in your opinion? I'd also suggest maybe asking the other employee what they meant by it.

 
Old 01-05-2024, 10:46 AM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Reputation: 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This thread invites accusing Christians of not being Christian which is not allowed on this forum and it should be closed, IMO.
Where? Nowhere is that being done. It's not like anyone is calling anyone barbaric.
 
Old 01-05-2024, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Reputation: 32902
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This thread invites accusing Christians of not being Christian which is not allowed on this forum and it should be closed, IMO.
No, it's a good opportunity to get some minds straight on the issue.
 
Old 01-05-2024, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
17,773 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Reputation: 17805
Just another interesting twist on the topic.

I watch Seventh Day Adventist TV quite a bit.

Historically, the SDA has claimed that the Roman Church was "the Beast" of Revelations. And I get the impression that back in the day that included practicing Catholics themselves.

These days it is interesting to watch their television preachers address this topic. These days they go to great care to excuse the Catholic church member from being part of "the Beast" but still adeptly claim that the Roman Church apparatus (as in sort of a detached machine like fashion) is still "the Beast" in a more geopolitical/spiritual sense.
 
Old 01-05-2024, 03:52 PM
 
Location: NSW
3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Reputation: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
To make a long story short, a disgruntled ex-employee has filed a complaint that she was let go because of her Christian faith. No further explanation. I don't have a religious background, but I was surprised by the complaint since everyone in the place is some kind of Christian. I was told no, not Mrs. R, she's Catholic. I was confused by this answer and tried asking another employee who said no, they're different. I agree there are differences between the denominations, but there's no way I can accept that Catholics aren't Christians. What am I missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This thread invites accusing Christians of not being Christian which is not allowed on this forum and it should be closed, IMO.
There is an old thread on this topic:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...catholics.html

And yes, I am very aware that numerous Evangelical groups, some SDAs etc, don’t regard Catholics as their fellow Christians.
This is one of the few forums where anyone who says that they believe in Christ and call themselves Christians, are accepted as such, and not then challenged over their denominational allegiances.
 
Old 01-05-2024, 04:37 PM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Reputation: 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
There is an old thread on this topic:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...catholics.html

And yes, I am very aware that numerous Evangelical groups, some SDAs etc, don’t regard Catholics as their fellow Christians.
This is one of the few forums where anyone who says that they believe in Christ and call themselves Christians, are accepted as such, and not then challenged over their denominational allegiances.
And the irony is, Mr. Agape makes a habit of telling everyone else that they don't know "the mind of Christ" and are inferior, while getting in a twist that someone else MIGHT make the jump to suggest someone else isn't a Christian.
 
Old 01-05-2024, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Reputation: 13118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And the irony is, Mr. Agape makes a habit of telling everyone else that they don't know "the mind of Christ" and are inferior, while getting in a twist that someone else MIGHT make the jump to suggest someone else isn't a Christian.
And neither attitude is better than the other.
 
Old 01-05-2024, 06:59 PM
 
6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Reputation: 13731
Thank you all for the responses and the link. It's helped me sort things out in my head and I appreciate the input.
 
Old 01-06-2024, 05:28 AM
 
323 posts, read 135,129 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
To make a long story short, a disgruntled ex-employee has filed a complaint that she was let go because of her Christian faith. No further explanation. I don't have a religious background, but I was surprised by the complaint since everyone in the place is some kind of Christian. I was told no, not Mrs. R, she's Catholic. I was confused by this answer and tried asking another employee who said no, they're different. I agree there are differences between the denominations, but there's no way I can accept that Catholics aren't Christians. What am I missing?
It's hardly the first time I've heard it. Religions tend to teem with adherents lecturing other adherents about how they're not 'real' members of the faith. It seems to be a natural and expected trait of the utopianism that is religion.
 
Old 01-06-2024, 08:35 AM
 
63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Reputation: 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And the irony is, Mr. Agape makes a habit of telling everyone else that they don't know "the mind of Christ" and are inferior, while getting in a twist that someone else MIGHT make the jump to suggest someone else isn't a Christian.
The irony is that you think any of us can be the judge of whether or not someone else is a Christian! We cannot! Jesus is the only one who can determine that. We are told NOT to judge, but the judgmental self-righteous ones among us "twist" the scriptures to find justification for judging based on what they THINK is righteous.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-06-2024 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top