Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-16-2024, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Virginia
10,100 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Reputation: 27665

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I realize that this forum is made up of people that, by and large, are like my neighbor. They don't appreciate being accountable to an authority figure.

If you disagree, please enlighten me. What authority do you base your life on? What rules do you base your life on? What "sin" am I committing in your worldview?
IDK. Is "hubris" a sin? I think that many Christians have hubris about their faith, especially in the belief that theirs is the ONE and ONLY true and correct belief, and that anyone who believes otherwise is pretty much SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2024, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,853 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Reputation: 32978
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I realize that this forum is made up of people that, by and large, are like my neighbor. They don't appreciate being accountable to an authority figure.

If you disagree, please enlighten me. What authority do you base your life on? What rules do you base your life on? What "sin" am I committing in your worldview?
1. Is there an emoji for things going over your head?

2. Perhaps you like slavery. I don't. I much prefer a religion that is based on thought and contemplation, rather than a religion based on following commandments. For me that is Buddhism.

3. You see life as following rules. I see life as making decisions.

4. The sin of egotism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2024, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,853 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Reputation: 32978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
IDK. Is "hubris" a sin? I think that many Christians have hubris about their faith, especially in the belief that theirs is the ONE and ONLY true and correct belief, and that anyone who believes otherwise is pretty much SOL.
I used the word egotism, but your word -- hurbis -- was a better choice of words. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2024, 09:53 AM
 
2,781 posts, read 2,673,933 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I much prefer a religion that is based on thought and contemplation, rather than a religion based on following commandments. For me that is Buddhism.
when we die we will return to Allah
and Allah said

And whoso seeketh as religion other than the Surrender (to Allah) (Islam)
it will not be accepted from him,
and he will be a loser in the Hereafter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2024, 09:55 AM
 
63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Reputation: 7880
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I used the word egotism, but your word -- hubris -- was a better choice of words. Thank you!
Both words better encompass the "sin" or misguided state of mind involved, IMO. Commandments are used with spiritually immature minds incapable of seeing the underlying principles or purposes for the commands, as you frequently emphasize, Phet. The truth is no one KNOWS the kind of specifics and details about God that the Abrahamic religions seem to profess to know. Ironically, even the Christians reject as too "wimpy" the very persona that provided an unambiguous principle from which such specifics COULD be inferred (the "mind of Christ" on the Cross, IMO). That is egoistic hubris!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2024, 10:04 AM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Reputation: 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
IDK. Is "hubris" a sin? I think that many Christians have hubris about their faith, especially in the belief that theirs is the ONE and ONLY true and correct belief, and that anyone who believes otherwise is pretty much SOL.
It's what God has said, so no--it's not hubris. I have never suggested that I am the only correct Christian, or that I am part of the right church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2024, 10:06 AM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Reputation: 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Is there an emoji for things going over your head?


There. Things are going over your head.
Quote:
2. Perhaps you like slavery. I don't. I much prefer a religion that is based on thought and contemplation, rather than a religion based on following commandments. For me that is Buddhism.
I've never suggested it's good, and despite your claims, Christianity doesn't teach it, either. And Buddhism has no authority to declare it bad. So.......
Quote:
3. You see life as following rules. I see life as making decisions.
Of course no. Because you have an issue with authority, as my neighbor did.
Quote:
4. The sin of egotism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2024, 10:07 AM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Reputation: 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
when we die we will return to Allah
and Allah said

And whoso seeketh as religion other than the Surrender (to Allah) (Islam)
it will not be accepted from him,
and he will be a loser in the Hereafter.
By what standard does your God declare sin to be sin? And how does he forgive one sin while holding others accountable? That is unjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2024, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,853 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Reputation: 32978
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's what God has said, so no--it's not hubris. I have never suggested that I am the only correct Christian, or that I am part of the right church.
you project it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2024, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,853 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Reputation: 32978
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post


There. Things are going over your head.

I've never suggested it's good, and despite your claims, Christianity doesn't teach it, either. And Buddhism has no authority to declare it bad. So.......

Of course no. Because you have an issue with authority, as my neighbor did.


That's not even the kind of slavery I was talking about. How odd you bring it up so often.

I have an issue with authority? You say that to a retired school principal. You are laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top