Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2024, 03:17 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Reputation: 130649

Advertisements

Many wonder how the 12 apostles died, but The New Testament tells of the fate of only two of the apostles: Judas, who betrayed Jesus and then went out and hanged himself, and James, the son of Zebedee, who was executed by Herod about 44 AD (Acts 12:2). Read how each of the apostles spread out to minister and evangelize and how many of the apostles died for their faith.
Here is a map where and how they died:



https://www.christianity.com/church/...-11629558.html

https://www.faithonhill.com/blog/wha...e-12-disciples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2024, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Germany
16,578 posts, read 4,861,278 times
Reputation: 2058
Eusebius claimed 11 were killed, with John dying of natural causes. Hippolytus of Rome said 7 were killed, with 5 dying of natural causes.

According to Acts, James, the brother of John was killed with a sword for some unknown reason. Papias says that John the divine and James his brother were killed by Jews.

According to the Gnostic Acts of Peter, Peter was killed for not praying to Roman gods, but also says the resurrection of Jesus was spiritual, so therefore there was no empty tomb.

Matthias died twice, crucified in Ethiopia while also dying of natural causes in Georgia.

Bartholomew died three times, beaten and then drowned, beaten and beheaded, as well as being skinned alive before being then crucified.

Simon the Zealot also died three times, sawn in half in Persia, crucified in Samaria, and martyred in Georgia.

Although not a disciple, Paul was killed in Spain for some unknown reason, but also killed in Rome with Peter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2024, 09:47 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
5,342 posts, read 3,819,066 times
Reputation: 7262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Eusebius claimed 11 were killed, with John dying of natural causes. Hippolytus of Rome said 7 were killed, with 5 dying of natural causes.

According to Acts, James, the brother of John was killed with a sword for some unknown reason. Papias says that John the divine and James his brother were killed by Jews.

According to the Gnostic Acts of Peter, Peter was killed for not praying to Roman gods, but also says the resurrection of Jesus was spiritual, so therefore there was no empty tomb.

Matthias died twice, crucified in Ethiopia while also dying of natural causes in Georgia.

Bartholomew died three times, beaten and then drowned, beaten and beheaded, as well as being skinned alive before being then crucified.

Simon the Zealot also died three times, sawn in half in Persia, crucified in Samaria, and martyred in Georgia.

Although not a disciple, Paul was killed in Spain for some unknown reason, but also killed in Rome with Peter.
Lol at the latter half of the post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2024, 02:29 AM
 
2,690 posts, read 2,607,739 times
Reputation: 228
Christ's disciples, after his ascension, preached in all the cities of Judea.
According to the Book of Acts of the Apostles, they demonstrated many signs and wonders that they performed,
especially the healing of the sick, and based on those signs, people began to listen to their words and respond to them.
However, this did not prevent the Jewish priests and their leaders from intimidating and threatening the disciples.
To stop calling, but that threat did not stop the students’ enthusiasm and activity in calling.
The students’ call and teachings focus on the necessity of repentance, baptism, and faith in Jesus Christ, peace be upon him.
So that their sins may be forgiven, which is the call that Christ, peace be upon him, was calling for, as previously explained.
There was no declaration in their call of the divinity of Christ nor his sonship to God.
Rather, Peter, their elder, declared before the Jews in his first public sermon:
(Jesus of Nazareth is a man confirmed to you by God with mighty powers and wonders and signs that God did with his hand in your midst, just as you are.
You also know), after this, the Jews' anger against the disciples increased, so they arrested one of them - called Stephen -
and stoned him with stones until they killed him, and after him they killed another called James, the brother of John, then they persecuted the rest of the followers,
until many of them were scattered throughout all parts of Judea and Samaria, and the disciples were to At that time,
they limited their advocacy to their fellow Jews, but they saw that non-Jews also accepted their invitation, and a number of Greeks joined them.
This encouraged them to intensify their advocacy among foreigners, so they sent Barnabas to Antioch.
To invite foreigners, and many people also believed in his call.
Paul (Saul the Jew) had joined the disciples, so he and Barnabas were tasked with calling the pagans.
They succeeded in their call with great success, and as a result of the acceptance of the Christian religion by the Greek pagans and others,
a serious problem occurred, which is that some of their preachers began to reject They oblige Christianized pagans to adhere to the teachings of the Mosaic Laws,
and at the forefront of them is Paul. As for the other preachers,
they believed it was necessary to adhere to the teachings of the Mosaic Laws, including circumcision.
A dispute arose between them, after which they gathered in a council in Jerusalem,
and they decided not to demand that the pagans abide by the law,
and that would be sufficient for that to abstain from what was sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from adultery.
So they mentioned. After this, the story of the disciples ends, and it is not known
specifically what happened to them or what happened to them, but it is possible to trace Paul in his calling,
and that he was very active in his calling, visiting many cities in Asia,
and then the conclusion of his trip was in Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2024, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
17,606 posts, read 13,425,275 times
Reputation: 17518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Eusebius claimed 11 were killed, with John dying of natural causes. Hippolytus of Rome said 7 were killed, with 5 dying of natural causes.

According to Acts, James, the brother of John was killed with a sword for some unknown reason. Papias says that John the divine and James his brother were killed by Jews.

According to the Gnostic Acts of Peter, Peter was killed for not praying to Roman gods, but also says the resurrection of Jesus was spiritual, so therefore there was no empty tomb.

Matthias died twice, crucified in Ethiopia while also dying of natural causes in Georgia.

Bartholomew died three times, beaten and then drowned, beaten and beheaded, as well as being skinned alive before being then crucified.

Simon the Zealot also died three times, sawn in half in Persia, crucified in Samaria, and martyred in Georgia.

Although not a disciple, Paul was killed in Spain for some unknown reason, but also killed in Rome with Peter.
Every time I read about what happened to these guys I think about Bill Bright and the first of the four "spiritual laws"...

"God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2024, 11:02 AM
 
63,354 posts, read 39,631,847 times
Reputation: 7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Eusebius claimed 11 were killed, with John dying of natural causes. Hippolytus of Rome said 7 were killed, with 5 dying of natural causes.

According to Acts, James, the brother of John was killed with a sword for some unknown reason. Papias says that John the divine and James his brother were killed by Jews.

According to the Gnostic Acts of Peter, Peter was killed for not praying to Roman gods, but also says the resurrection of Jesus was spiritual, so therefore there was no empty tomb.

Matthias died twice, crucified in Ethiopia while also dying of natural causes in Georgia.

Bartholomew died three times, beaten and then drowned, beaten and beheaded, as well as being skinned alive before being then crucified.

Simon the Zealot also died three times, sawn in half in Persia, crucified in Samaria, and martyred in Georgia.

Although not a disciple, Paul was killed in Spain for some unknown reason, but also killed in Rome with Peter.
What happened to them here PHYSICALLY is irrelevant to where they are now. They are with Jesus as Spirits in Heaven as we will be. (IMO, they are among the multitude of consciousnesses that are part of the consciousness of God that I encountered and was subsumed in. If so, it is a wondrous thing indeed!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2024, 11:52 AM
 
Location: So Cal/AZ
924 posts, read 758,261 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Many wonder how the 12 apostles died, but The New Testament tells of the fate of only two of the apostles: Judas, who betrayed Jesus and then went out and hanged himself, and James, the son of Zebedee, who was executed by Herod about 44 AD (Acts 12:2). Read how each of the apostles spread out to minister and evangelize and how many of the apostles died for their faith.
Here is a map where and how they died:
This is a great story of the Apostles with a lot of information on what happened to them.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...welve-apostles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2024, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,119 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Reputation: 32519
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What happened to them here PHYSICALLY is irrelevant to where they are now. They are with Jesus as Spirits in Heaven as we will be. (IMO, they are among the multitude of consciousnesses that are part of the consciousness of God that I encountered and was subsumed in. If so, it is a wondrous thing indeed!)
I suppose you've had conversations with them, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2024, 01:07 PM
 
63,354 posts, read 39,631,847 times
Reputation: 7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I suppose you've had conversations with them, also.
No, direct consciousness-to-consciousness contact is devoid of any conversations. As I have said before, it is not remotely describable using words. We have no comparable referent to that kind of "knowing." The closest is the sense of "knowing" something in a dream that has no support in the content of the dream itself (if you have ever experienced it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2024, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,119 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Reputation: 32519
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, direct consciousness-to-consciousness contact is devoid of any conversations. As I have said before, it is not remotely describable using words. We have no comparable referent to that kind of "knowing." The closest is the sense of "knowing" something in a dream that has no support in the content of the dream itself (if you have ever experienced it).
I'll choose not to reply with what I'm thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top