Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 03:34 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Similarly social justice concerns like racial or economic equality would be seen as virtuous by, say, a black congregation, and as evil, pernicious, the "social gospel" and, nowadays, likely, "woke" by many white congregations. I believe someone in this sub-forum not long ago mentioned a failed attempt at cooperation between the Mormons and the Church of God involving distributing food to the needy, where the COG folks felt they were just enabling laziness or whatever, and the rank and file people overturned whatever high level decision had been made to cooperate with the Mormons. There were concerns about doctrinal differences as well IIRC, but it was also a difference in what constitutes the set of things that "help" a particular issue.

Just to avoid confusion I think you mean The Church of God in Christ (COGIC). And the objection was theology as the Mormons would be heretical and thus you would not link up with folks that you think might lead people to a heretic path as opposed to leading some other church which just might have a different selection of leadership model. The Church of God, most folks think of the Cleveland Tennessee one, is the organization belonged to by Marcus Lamb of the Daystar Network or Jentezen Franklin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 06:58 PM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Mordant — any news on your wife’s condition yet? We are all hoping the best for you !
We won't know much with certainty for probably a few days ... thanks for asking :-)

Old 02-04-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Just to avoid confusion I think you mean The Church of God in Christ (COGIC). And the objection was theology as the Mormons would be heretical and thus you would not link up with folks that you think might lead people to a heretic path as opposed to leading some other church which just might have a different selection of leadership model. The Church of God, most folks think of the Cleveland Tennessee one, is the organization belonged to by Marcus Lamb of the Daystar Network or Jentezen Franklin.
Thanks for clarifying, I do tend to mix those up.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:41 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Another distinction is that fundamentalism is a predominantly rural and suburban phenomenon. When they try to establish urban/inner city churches they either are laughed out of town or that congregation becomes less fundamentalist and more evangelical because now you have to start dealing with all those icky poor people and their icky problems (e.g., drugs) and you can't be remotely effective at that without developing some blasted empathy and compassion; approaches that emphasize blame and shame don't cut it.
I think this is a bigger part of it than many realize. We are seeing the culture drive the church in many areas.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:24 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
https://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Power...3-ad39db78f1a6

I imagine you might be interested in this relatively recently released book...author's himself a Christian whose dad was an evangelical pastor in Michigan, but the author does not share the politics of the vast majority of his dad's old congregation. Read the first 20-25 pages the other day; I'll probably revisit it within the next month

Old 02-06-2024, 04:33 PM

10,479 posts, read 6,991,011 times
**Deleting my post for politics.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 02-06-2024 at 05:19 PM..

Old 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
OP your entire post is based the lies and misinformation. These are the radicalized talking points of the political left, as evangelism is viewed as threat to their ungodly movement.

Evangelicalism is open to all people, and there are never discussions that it should be, which I find as a ridiculous notion. Churches in white neighborhood are going to be white, churches in black neighborhoods are going to be black, churches in Korean neighborhood are going to Korean and churches at the airport are going to have the people on the plane. Sure there are going to be nuanced differences at churches between different cultures, white churches are going to want to praise God with songs they enjoy with guitars and drums, blacks are going to want to be more soulful. Trying to put the church into the 2024 confides of soulless checkbox DEI initiatives is just ridiculous.

The political left, which I will say has its roots in with Satan try to lie, distort what it fears.
Knock off the politics.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
OP your entire post is based the lies and misinformation. These are the radicalized talking points of the political left, as evangelism is viewed as threat to their ungodly movement.

Evangelicalism is open to all people, and there are never discussions that it should be, which I find as a ridiculous notion. Churches in white neighborhood are going to be white, churches in black neighborhoods are going to be black, churches in Korean neighborhood are going to Korean and churches at the airport are going to have the people on the plane. Sure there are going to be nuanced differences at churches between different cultures, white churches are going to want to praise God with songs they enjoy with guitars and drums, blacks are going to want to be more soulful. Trying to put the church into the 2024 confides of soulless checkbox DEI initiatives is just ridiculous.

The political left, which I will say has its roots in with Satan try to lie, distort what it fears.
You seem to be confusing politics with religion. You will find that threads that talk about politics here are in jeopardy of being closed because the admins don't want to manage political arguments.

I started this thread to discuss trends in evangelicalism. The source was an interview with two evangelicals about how the evangelical world isn't just conservative white authoritarians. And by conservative, I'm talking about religious conservatives, not political parties.

It must be comforting to you to tell yourself that everyone who disagrees with your particular hermeneutics is a child of Satan, but you should be aware that dehumanizing people who disagree with you is a "tell" that you aren't at all confident in your own beliefs. The whole conspiracy theory vibe isn't covering you in glory, either.

Old 02-10-2024, 02:20 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I kind of see the fundamentalist-evangelical thing kind of being similar to the pentecostal-charismatic description. To a large degree you are describing groups of people who have something in common... but they are separated as much by social, financial and education level. This of course is on a general level.

As far as the racial part of the schism among so called "fundamentalists". When did this not exist? Black fundamentalists have always been at odds with their white ones regarding the social agenda. The fact that a Black man has to "explain" how he is not like "those (white) kinds of evangelicals" is maybe a new phenomenon. But I am curious Mr. Mordant can give us an idea of who he the man claimed was asking for an explanation in the article.

I find this post fascinating within the context of the OP in that I have observed that from a political perch... Neither side wants to give the other side credit for the "help" that they provide to people. The OP says that fundamentalists are against "helping the disadvantaged". Meanwhile, Mystic's post says that liberal types (for this board let's say liberal Christians)... just want "money thrown at the problem" and don't want to get their hands dirty. Or they are derisively called "do gooders"... if they actually do get their hands dirty.

I have observed all kinds of people/organizations with all kinds of beliefs step up to help the needy. We have several programs around here that are arch conservative Christians that help people... and we have some that are the opposite who serve people. Heck, when the atheist convention was in town here a few years back, before they dispersed they all assembled 2,000 box lunches for the needy here in OKC.
Funnily enough I’ve always regarded the words Pentecostal and Charismatic as being somewhat interchangeable.
Pentecostals themselves are a branch of Evangelical Christianity., who still believe in the “Gifts of the Spirit”.
In many predominantly Catholic countries, like Latin America and the Philippines, they tend to be attracted to Pentecostalism.
Such groups tend to be conservative, but not at the same level as many so-called white mainline evangelicals.
With continued immigration, obviously these people and groups are much more prevalent and noticeable now.

Old 02-10-2024, 02:29 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Funnily enough I’ve always regarded the words Pentecostal and Charismatic as being somewhat interchangeable.
Pentecostals themselves are a branch of Evangelical Christianity., who still believe in the “Gifts of the Spirit”.
In many predominantly Catholic countries, like Latin America and the Philippines, they tend to be attracted to Pentecostalism.
Such groups tend to be conservative, but not at the same level as many so-called white mainline evangelicals.
With continued immigration, obviously these people and groups are much more prevalent and noticeable now.
I think that when a single sect holds a large enough of a majority the upstart invading sects tend to follow the letter of their book. The existing political liberal and conservative mix begins at different levels due to local social norms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality