Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-26-2024, 06:29 PM
 
64,159 posts, read 40,515,598 times
Reputation: 7940

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
A lot of churches and businesses (in the US and abroad) use a rainbow flag to signal they are welcoming, not that they are all gay. I know some churches that do this who hardly have any gay members, mostly elderly white straight folks.

It's not pride in "the way you have sex" (where did you get that idea?) but pride in community, and in the progress that has been fought for and earned.
It is an absurd and irrational "abreaction," IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2024, 09:43 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
5,106 posts, read 7,533,735 times
Reputation: 8815
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is an absurd and irrational "abreaction," IMO.
And what is your personal experience of "it"? Is every parade absurd to you? I certainly felt absurd marching in the Memorial Day parade in my hometown, sweating in my school uniform and playing the saxophone.

If you watch "it" (big city pride parades) on the news, you will see the most flamboyant behavior highlighted, not much different from a Mardi Gras celebration. But in reality most of the parades these days are boring and corporatized. There are floats sponsored by banks and businesses, radio stations, politicians, the local hospital employees, health plans, other large employers from the area, all wanting to show support and advertise themselves to get business from the local LGBT community. Like some newspapers, they're more about advertising than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2024, 10:25 AM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,143,355 times
Reputation: 3589
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Poor Baptist Fundie. So glad he wasn't a teacher and principal. He would have had to accept any student (and their parents) who walked through the front door.
Let's be clear. You're as intolerant as anyone on this forum when it comes to those with opposing views.

As for the public school thing, I substitute teach anywhere from 3-10 days a month in my local high school. I interact with a LOT of kids, from a lot of different backgrounds. I interact with the other teachers, principals, and parents. And I don't mean to brag, but I think I'm one of the more well-liked subs. I was told by one student I'm "not as stuffy" as some teachers. So, honestly, you can stick your elitism in your ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2024, 10:29 AM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,143,355 times
Reputation: 3589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The first scenario ...the guy entering the church with two wives ...may well quote areas of the Bible where God appears to approve of polygamy. Me? I couldn't really argue against that. It would also be none of my business although I would personally think it to be an odd scenario. Polygamy is also against common law in most, if not all, countries. 'The church', however, would likely frown on this and in fact veto this couple from becoming members of their church. Some churches may bar them altogether.

Our legal system does not allow for 2 wives, so regardless of what he thinks the bible teaches, he's wrong if he does so, as Christians are commanded to obey the Law. That said, I do believe the Bible teaches 1 man, 1 woman, despite the fact that men have historically done otherwise.
Quote:
The second scenario ...the guy entering the church with his husband ... may well say that marriage to his life-long partner IS approved by the common law of the land and so he/they are not breaking any laws in that regard. He may also say that the Bible nowhere prohibits marriage between two males or two females. If the church insists that the Bible DOES prohibit intimate relations between those of the same gender, it's to be hoped that he would be knowledgeable enough about those half-dozen or so passages of scripture in the ENTIRE Bible to counter their argument. The church, in its ignorance, would likely not agree with his interpretation of those scriptures and would veto this couple from becoming members of their church. Some churches may bar them altogether.
Quote:
He can say that, but he'd be wrong. The Bible does prohibit homosexuality. I don't care what mental gymnastics or word salads you play in order to try to say it doesn't...but it does. If you want to go to a church that teaches otherwise, knock yourself out. But it's obnoxious and condescending to attack those of us who do believe in good conscience that it teaches it's wrong.
Quote:

Don't come at me with that scare tactic. That's a big problem with many professed Christians. They tend to come at you with the Bible as though it's the equivalent of the hanging sword of Damocles.
It wasn't intended as a scare tactic. It was an honest question. Why do you attack those that follow what the Bible teaches? From my perpective, you seemed to be suggesting one was wrong, and the other wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2024, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
51,503 posts, read 24,857,944 times
Reputation: 33337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Let's be clear. You're as intolerant as anyone on this forum when it comes to those with opposing views.

As for the public school thing, I substitute teach anywhere from 3-10 days a month in my local high school. I interact with a LOT of kids, from a lot of different backgrounds. I interact with the other teachers, principals, and parents. And I don't mean to brag, but I think I'm one of the more well-liked subs. I was told by one student I'm "not as stuffy" as some teachers. So, honestly, you can stick your elitism in your ear.
I am intolerant of christian fundamentalism. Yes. In my view the behavior of christian fundamentalists is immoral. And I get to speak up about my view on immorality just as you do. The problem being that you think your "majority" gets to dictate the discussion. Well as people said in response to one of your probable heroes, "The moral majority is neither".

Oh wow. You're not stuffy. Wow...now that's a qualification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2024, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
51,503 posts, read 24,857,944 times
Reputation: 33337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
...

He can say that, but he'd be wrong. The Bible does prohibit homosexuality. I don't care what mental gymnastics or word salads you play in order to try to say it doesn't...but it does. If you want to go to a church that teaches otherwise, knock yourself out. But it's obnoxious and condescending to attack those of us who do believe in good conscience that it teaches it's wrong.


...
It is no more immoral for us to attack the attackers than for the attackers to attack us. You folks don't control the discussion any longer in this age of social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2024, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
89,097 posts, read 85,720,368 times
Reputation: 116082
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
A lot of churches and businesses (in the US and abroad) use a rainbow flag to signal they are welcoming, not that they are all gay. I know some churches that do this who hardly have any gay members, mostly elderly white straight folks.

Yes, I am aware of that, and so is the gay law professor who said it. You missed his meaning. He wanted to be just a person who goes to a Christian church, not a church that is known specifically for welcoming gays. IOW, the sexual orientation of church members should be irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
It's not pride in "the way you have sex" (where did you get that idea?) but pride in community, and in the progress that has been fought for and earned.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2024, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
89,097 posts, read 85,720,368 times
Reputation: 116082
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
And what is your personal experience of "it"? Is every parade absurd to you? I certainly felt absurd marching in the Memorial Day parade in my hometown, sweating in my school uniform and playing the saxophone.

If you watch "it" (big city pride parades) on the news, you will see the most flamboyant behavior highlighted, not much different from a Mardi Gras celebration. But in reality most of the parades these days are boring and corporatized. There are floats sponsored by banks and businesses, radio stations, politicians, the local hospital employees, health plans, other large employers from the area, all wanting to show support and advertise themselves to get business from the local LGBT community. Like some newspapers, they're more about advertising than anything else.
Ha, that is true. My daughter once worked for a bank that had a booth at the city's local Pride event, hoping to get people to open accounts.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2024, 11:00 AM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,143,355 times
Reputation: 3589
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It is no more immoral for us to attack the attackers than for the attackers to attack us. You folks don't control the discussion any longer in this age of social media.
Sounds like the mantra that antifa uses. And we know how they're all such nice, wonderful, loving and tolerant people.

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 02-27-2024 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Fixed a typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2024, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
51,503 posts, read 24,857,944 times
Reputation: 33337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Sounds like the mantra that antifa uses. And we know how they're all such nice, wonderful, loving and tolerant people.
And that shows us where you mind is. There was no need to bring politics into this discussion re morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top