Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 10:15 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I am aware of that, and so is the gay law professor who said it. You missed his meaning. He wanted to be just a person who goes to a Christian church, not a church that is known specifically for welcoming gays. IOW, the sexual orientation of church members should be irrelevant.
Yes, it should be, but people like the OP are looking for "churches for gays" and this is one way they can readily identify them. The professor wants it to be a non-issue, but homophobia and transphobia is an issue in many churches where he would not feel comfortable being "just a person".

Violence against LGBTQ people has increased in recent years, so the distinction is still important to some people.

Over 20 years ago, when I first went to a church convention and set up a booth for LGBT members in a conservative town, I was surprised how friendly the other church people were towards me. It wasn't until later I found out that they assumed I was part of a conversion ministry! A lot has changed since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 11:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
bigotry is a sin
Pot...kettle....

Old 02-28-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
It's not out of context at all, it's literally about looking at your own "faults" before pointing out others'.
So we shouldn't EVER point out hypocrisy in others? We should NEVER say someone else is wrong?

Does that mean you're wrong for telling me I'm wrong?
Quote:
Please enlighten me with when Jesus spoke about homosexuality directly, go ahead.
Romans 1, 1 Cor 6.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:01 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Pot...kettle....
Well, unfortunately for you the Buddhist concept of sin is different from yours. So, irrelevant.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:07 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
So we shouldn't EVER point out hypocrisy in others? We should NEVER say someone else is wrong?
Should we not be free from judgement from others as Jesus himself preached, or is that another thing in bible you can ignore? It's very difficult to know which moral codes in the bible should be followed and which ones are no longer relevant, seems to be pick and choose and hope for the best.

As to whether I'm wrong, I don't particularly care - I haven't decided to live my life via this book full of contradictory rules and regulations. I'm just here for the debate.

Quote:
Romans 1, 1 Cor 6.
So not Jesus saying it then? You said he mentioned it, come on. I'm waiting.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Should we not be free from judgement from others as Jesus himself preached,
Where did Jesus say that? You know he was quite critical of others, right?
Quote:

or is that another thing in bible you can ignore?
You're the one ignoring the fact that Jesus judged others, and told us to judge others.
Quote:

It's very difficult to know which moral codes in the bible should be followed and which ones are no longer relevant, seems to be pick and choose and hope for the best.
It really isn't. Context means a lot.
Quote:
As to whether I'm wrong, I don't particularly care - I haven't decided to live my life via this book full of contradictory rules and regulations. I'm just here for the debate.
No, but you do seem to be intent on hypocritically telling others they are not.
Quote:

So not Jesus saying it then? You said he mentioned it, come on. I'm waiting.
Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:18 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Is there a Christian church that welcomes gays?
The answer is yes in several instances.

The most accepting tend to be the United Church of Christ and Episcopals. Many congregations of the Methodist and Presbyterian churches as well, a quick website search of those local options will confirm that via their websites with key phrases like "welcoming to all". Other less traditional church options such as the Quakers and Metroplitan Community Church are other options. Being in the South you might also investigate the Baptist church as some congregations have modernized to the welcoming 21st century vibe found in the pop-up independent churches seen everywhere.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:41 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
Where did Jesus say that? You know he was quite critical of others, right?
Turns out hypocrisy is an easy trap to fall into, even for a messiah.

Matthew 7 : "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you"

Now, I've provided a direct quote from the man/god himself to back my claim up. Can you do the same about Jesus mentioning homosexuality?

Old 02-28-2024, 12:46 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

You're the one ignoring the fact that Jesus judged others, and told us to judge others.

Then why are you complaining when we judge you?

Old 02-28-2024, 12:56 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
You can use a 2016 Pew survey measuring educational attainment of various religious groups as a barometer of LGBT-friendliness.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...igious-groups/

Here's a selection showing the percentage of adults in each group with a college degree:

Unitarian Universalist - 67%

Episcopalian - 56%

Presbyterian - 47%

Buddhist - 47%

Atheist - 43%

United Methodist - 37%

Lutheran - 36%

(All US adults - 27%)

Catholic - 26%

Southern Baptist - 19%

Jehovah's Witness - 12%

It shows an inverse correlation between education level and the level of biblical literalism and religious extremism. A wrathful God vs. a loving God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality