Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2024, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill, FL
4,295 posts, read 1,553,339 times
Reputation: 3484

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why do you believe that a religion should compromise its beliefs because a group that want to adhere to said beliefs?
I don't. They didn't ask about religions for gays. They asked about churches. Churches are a community that should be free of judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2024, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Reputation: 114946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I don't. They didn't ask about religions for gays. They asked about churches. Churches are a community that should be free of judgement.
Correct. The OP was asking about welcoming churches, which I think implies welcoming who they are, not welcoming because they want to correct or fix you. I'm pretty sure she already knows where those churches are.

No church is really free of judgment, though, at least not its members, because we're human. Hopefully, my judgments are petty, like thinking the woman who needs the tables for the potluck to be gussied up like a wedding banquet is overly fussy.

But if it was a gay male church member doing that, I might think it was cute. That's stereotyping.

I see I have work to do on myself...
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2024, 04:55 PM
 
Location: NSW
3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Reputation: 1367
Most Catholic Churches don’t bat an eyelid about who attends church, and who doesn’t.
You could attend a Catholic Church for years and remain virtually unknown and anonymous.
Not suggesting that this is a good thing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2024, 11:11 AM
 
18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Reputation: 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I don't. They didn't ask about religions for gays. They asked about churches. Churches are a community that should be free of judgement.
The Bible says the exact opposite. A pastor's job is to call sinners to repentance, to preach the Word. Yes, anyone is welcome and encouraged to come to my church. I've sat next to men that I know are gay. But no, my pastor does not affirm the sin of anyone and tell them that God made them that way, so continue on in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2024, 11:50 AM
 
63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Reputation: 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Correct. The OP was asking about welcoming churches, which I think implies welcoming who they are, not welcoming because they want to correct or fix you. I'm pretty sure she already knows where those churches are.

No church is really free of judgment, though, at least not its members, because we're human. Hopefully, my judgments are petty, like thinking the woman who needs the tables for the potluck to be gussied up like a wedding banquet is overly fussy.

But if it was a gay male church member doing that, I might think it was cute. That's stereotyping.

I see I have work to do on myself...
Contrary to the presumptuous religious "judges and enforcers" of religious dogma, God does not want or need any such judgment or enforcement. God made EVERYONE the way they are, not just gays. The character of our Spirit (that MUST be agape) is how we BECOME the best of whatever God made us to be. We do NOT BECOME the best we can be by judging others and trying to enforce what we THINK God COMMANDS us to obey . . . or else! Agape love defines what God wants from us, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2024, 05:38 PM
 
14 posts, read 4,996 times
Reputation: 17
From what I can tell, most Christian churches are basically affiliated as rainbow churches, they are welcoming to all.

It is Catholic church that has always been designed to basically say No, gay men or even gay women are not Okay, because Catholicism is old and it is not meant to be changed. A huge foundation and basis of Catholicism is to have a man and woman marry, to have straight sex together to have babies. Furthermore Catholicism does not accept abortions.

So it is not like Catholics hate gays. Many gays attend Catholic mass. But ultimately the Catholic Church has always had that core foundation that men and women are together married, they have kids, and they do not abort life. Gays are not hated by Catholic churches but gay partners have basically never been accepted by Catholicism.

And to say it again: Catholics follow very old rules and the rules are not really meant to be changed. It’s not a changing religion. All of Catholic symbols are basically always the same.

Christian churches are the ones designed to evolve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2024, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Reputation: 9910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkripples View Post
Christian churches are the ones designed to evolve.
I think you meant to say Protestant, not Christian.

But it is a fiction that the Catholic Church does not change.

The Catholic Church has not always required clergy to be celibate.

The Catholic Church no longer teaches the doctrine of limbo.

The Catholic Church apologized for that whole Galileo thing a few years back -- a few hundred years late, but better late than never.

And that speaks to how the Church changes ... very slowly and late. But change it does.

No church, either small or capital c, is designed or intended to change, but churches exist within society, and society has morality, and any church that is too far out of step with societal morals is ... wait for it ... immoral. And then they would face sanctions.

The Catholic Church has a long history of looking the other way while its priests diddle choir boys and now to an extent they are getting sanctioned for it ... whole dioceses have had to declare bankruptcy as a result.

Last edited by mordant; 02-20-2024 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2024, 06:34 PM
 
22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Reputation: 18251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkripples View Post
From what I can tell, most Christian churches are basically affiliated as rainbow churches, they are welcoming to all.

It is Catholic church that has always been designed to basically say No, gay men or even gay women are not Okay, because Catholicism is old and it is not meant to be changed. A huge foundation and basis of Catholicism is to have a man and woman marry, to have straight sex together to have babies. Furthermore Catholicism does not accept abortions.

So it is not like Catholics hate gays. Many gays attend Catholic mass. But ultimately the Catholic Church has always had that core foundation that men and women are together married, they have kids, and they do not abort life. Gays are not hated by Catholic churches but gay partners have basically never been accepted by Catholicism.

And to say it again: Catholics follow very old rules and the rules are not really meant to be changed. It’s not a changing religion. All of Catholic symbols are basically always the same.

Christian churches are the ones designed to evolve.
Catholic churches are Christian churches. Catholicism is a Christian religion. Catholics are Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2024, 08:59 PM
 
14 posts, read 4,996 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Catholic churches are Christian churches. Catholicism is a Christian religion. Catholics are Christian.
In my world, Roman Catholic Churches do not have rainbow flags and woke statements at the entryway. We have the sign of the cross in cathedrals that are generally old buildings. They don’t serve popcorn and coffee before “the service”. At Catholic church we have mass where we are serious and we pray, and we fast before mass and we eat round wafers that represents sacramental bread. There’s no electric guitars and rock and roll bands with fog machines and light shows. We have old church organs and church choirs that sing old songs and we have incense and candles like we have for hundreds of years.

Just stop it already.

You know exactly what I’m saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2024, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Townsville
6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Reputation: 5507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkripples View Post
In my world, Roman Catholic Churches do not have rainbow flags and woke statements at the entryway. We have the sign of the cross in cathedrals that are generally old buildings. They don’t serve popcorn and coffee before “the service”. At Catholic church we have mass where we are serious and we pray, and we fast before mass and we eat round wafers that represents sacramental bread. There’s no electric guitars and rock and roll bands with fog machines and light shows. We have old church organs and church choirs that sing old songs and we have incense and candles like we have for hundreds of years.

Just stop it already.

You know exactly what I’m saying.
You must be word perfect and precise at all times or you can be easily misunderstood. You must also include an appropriate emoji if you might resort to a little humor in your post. Even if you DO insert an appropriate emoji which implies the "Bazinga!" contained in your post, you may still be misunderstood and have to come back to defend yourself and explain that you were just funnin' with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:01 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top