Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 10:28 AM

966 posts, read 512,238 times

Advertisements

There is no correlation between going to church and being a good "religious" person. In fact it could be argued that it's the opposite.

Didn't Jesus tell people that they should go into their closets and pray? And didn't he say that they shouldn't do it in the synagogues (Christian churches weren't invented yet as he was still alive, but obviously it means them as well) w/ the hypocrites, or like those praying on the street corners?

You can't make a buck off the people if you don't organize it like a business. Never mind what the originator of the Christian faith said, since when did that ever stop these frauds in their mega churches from becoming filthy rich?

Spirituality is a private matter. The only instance I can think of that Jesus ever entered a synagogue was when he got highly pissed at the money changers making money off people on their money exchanges and chased them out w/ a whip he made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 10:33 AM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I know what I'm about to say may upset some, but my belief is...

Most people go to church in an attempt to seek the end results should there be a Heaven and a God, not because they are true in their souls. Yes, there are true Christians, but I have met many, many more church going hypocrites who are thieves, cheats, and womanizers.

I have raised my daughter to believe that the truest gift to God is to be a good honest person and to help others without even the slightest expectation of reward. That is as God-like as anything else we could do.

Only in our own souls do we know our true self.
I was raised religious but quit believing a long time ago. I raised my children the same way you raised your daughter. I have always helped people when I saw a need and sometimes it ended up being for a few years. I won’t change the world but I have made a real difference for some people and that’s good enough. Helping others is its own reward.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:19 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
When I think about all the time we spend going to church, bowing, kneeling and praying to a God that may or may not exist; it makes me wonder why we spend so much time doing this when we really have no proof of God's existence and whether our religion is right in its beliefs. How did humans begin to dwell on such things? Like I said, we have no proof of any of this. Instead, why don't we spend our limited time here on earth trying to live a good life to its fullest. And I don't mean, going out to party and getting drunk. I'm talking about focusing on getting a good career and moving up, building good relationships with friends and your significant other, raising a nice family, helping others in need, etc.. If everyone focuses on just making their life worthwhile, I don't think it really matters what you believe in and how much we worship our God.

Now, keep in mind, I'm no atheist. I'm a Catholic and I go to church every Sunday. But part of me always wonders whether I'm doing it all for nothing should my God not exist. I always have that lingering doubt, admittedly. So am wasting all this time going to church and praying when I could be using that time for other wisely things?

I guess one can argue that going to church makes them a better person and helps them find purpose to living a good life. But I know many people that go to church and are really rotten people. And I know many people that don't go to church but are wonderful, kind-hearted people. So I don't think one has to go to church to be a good person.

So what are your thoughts? Do you think us humans dwell too much on religion/God/afterlife and instead should just focus on just living the best life possible?
Because all the bad things in society come as a result of living for today and not paying attention to God.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:31 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Sure, plenty of people - in church and completely outside of it - following other's ways, other's ideas, following the crowd. There's plenty of that in politics.

Everyone's different, but I see positives in trying to understand ourselves, others, the universe, God or whatever higher power you might consider. It's not about doing anything specific or like anyone else. It's being true to what is within us - our own special DNA and identity - and what we can contribute. Many would say knowing ourselves as best as possible, as well as knowing others and knowing the universe, is the way towards the "good life". Looking around, the most miserable people are those with extremely limiting thinking and understanding. Someone might have a high degree, or be in a prominent position, and yet still essentially know very little beyond a key area.

This is a much broader matter than just applying it to church religion. Look for examples all around you, and even in your own life. Look for the religion of politics, the religion of power, the religion of money, the religion of the online / connected world, the religion of all the trivial matters of the world made somehow important, etc.
What you call "our own special DNA and identity" within us is our Spirit and that is what we are to develop and mature. It is what concerns God, NOT this material existence that we are told to "endure" to the end. We are NOT "pets" who must learn "specific tricks" to obey or avoid doing . . . or else! The "character" of our Spirit is what defines us and our deeds so that is what should concern us.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:45 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
There is no correlation between going to church and being a good "religious" person. In fact it could be argued that it's the opposite.

Didn't Jesus tell people that they should go into their closets and pray? And didn't he say that they shouldn't do it in the synagogues (Christian churches weren't invented yet as he was still alive, but obviously it means them as well) w/ the hypocrites, or like those praying on the street corners?

You can't make a buck off the people if you don't organize it like a business. Never mind what the originator of the Christian faith said, since when did that ever stop these frauds in their mega churches from becoming filthy rich?

Spirituality is a private matter. The only instance I can think of that Jesus ever entered a synagogue was when he got highly pissed at the money changers making money off people on their money exchanges and chased them out w/ a whip he made.
Wrong.

Luke 4

16 And he (Jesus) came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:58 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What you call "our own special DNA and identity" within us is our Spirit and that is what we are to develop and mature.
Yeah. I could have also said soul / spirit, but I left it more undefined. But you're right; all part of that same special and uniquely individual essence we have, whether we choose to sense it or not (and develop it).

Old 02-20-2024, 03:04 PM

2,410 posts, read 1,443,647 times
When it comes to the thought of religion, many see the idea of believing God exists is a plus in and of itself. In fact they equate faith with believing God or a god exists. The truth is, simply believing God exists means nothing. Yet all that said, actions do speak to what a person truly believe. So by going to church or doing similar practices could mean you believe God exists. If one truly didn't believe He existed, they certainly wouldn't go to church. However actually, there are more reasons one could go to church in spite of not believing.

A person could go to church simply because the church is a part of cultural tradition. So in order to keep within one's family and have their connections through the community, they go to church. Also, perhaps some might want to take advantage of church goers. So it's not only wolves being among the congregation, but the wolf could be the pastor of the church themselves, getting paid while performing. Yet ultimately in general, I believe those who go to church, do it as a sense of duty toward believing God's existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zviyufLG7lQ

Old 02-20-2024, 04:33 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Then there is no reason to invoke God.
God was not invoked, merely mentioned. As you folks are fond of saying, pay attention to the context, which is, the religious often invoke god as the only possible path to greater maturity or better behavior and then often end up being surpassed by people with different beliefs. If you want to be more like god is alleged to be then just serve others without expectation of recognition or reward and you are most of the way there.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:08 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
God was not invoked, merely mentioned. As you folks are fond of saying, pay attention to the context, which is, the religious often invoke god as the only possible path to greater maturity or better behavior and then often end up being surpassed by people with different beliefs. If you want to be more like god is alleged to be then just serve others without expectation of recognition or reward and you are most of the way there.
What frustrated me about the poster was the judgmental attitude about people who seek God in a different way from her.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:31 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
What frustrated me about the poster was the judgmental attitude about people who seek God in a different way from her.
yes. that is the case for the opening post also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality