Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 02:57 PM

950 posts, read 691,279 times

Advertisements

IS this why Hinduism is the world's Oldest extant religion??
https://youtube.com/shorts/GrjbGh-RC...l0hECjWgnHcqEV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 03:48 PM

950 posts, read 691,279 times
In addition to that Hinduism, even the Christian Bible has accounts of those extraterrestrials, that is, Ezekiel 1:19-21"When the wheels rose, the creatures also rose. Those living creatures were in those wheels."
In that chapter of Ezekiel, those wheels are clearly shown to be a mode of transportation, transportation in the sky. Aerial transportation.
Using the language of that time, they are called flying wheels. But in the current language, they are more well-known as flying saucers.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:06 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Hinduism is just the oldest organized religion that has survived to the present day, and there's no particular significance to that. It isn't the first religion, and won't be the last. In fact animism is almost certainly the first religious concept humans embraced. It is by nature not codified into a large religion with holy books. It is thousand localized variations, and sort of like architecture, works with whatever material is at hand. If you were in a tribe that lived by a lake, you worshiped a lake spirit, maybe tree spirits, or cloud spirits. In the desert you saw the spiritual in wolves and snakes and weird rock formations. All that stuff is way older than Hinduism.

I don't know what Hinduism has to do with extraterrestrials. And if I had a nickel for every time someone claims some wild symbolism in the Bible "clearly" means this or that, I'd be rich.

There's a passage in the Revelation about a plague of hornets with "hair like women". When I was a kid, a Christian chalk artist said this was "clearly" fighter jets and the "hair' was their contrails. You can google about that passage and find a half dozen other completely different interpretations that the writer feels they are "clearly" right about. The same is true regarding Ezekiel's vision.

Holy books are written as vague templates that people can project their needs, hopes and fears upon. They are timeless exactly because they are non-specific and cater to archetypes and symbols, not to actual data or information.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:43 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hinduism is just the oldest organized religion that has survived to the present day, and there's no particular significance to that. It isn't the first religion, and won't be the last. In fact animism is almost certainly the first religious concept humans embraced. It is by nature not codified into a large religion with holy books. It is thousand localized variations, and sort of like architecture, works with whatever material is at hand. If you were in a tribe that lived by a lake, you worshiped a lake spirit, maybe tree spirits, or cloud spirits. In the desert you saw the spiritual in wolves and snakes and weird rock formations. All that stuff is way older than Hinduism.

I don't know what Hinduism has to do with extraterrestrials. And if I had a nickel for every time someone claims some wild symbolism in the Bible "clearly" means this or that, I'd be rich.

There's a passage in the Revelation about a plague of hornets with "hair like women". When I was a kid, a Christian chalk artist said this was "clearly" fighter jets and the "hair' was their contrails. You can google about that passage and find a half dozen other completely different interpretations that the writer feels they are "clearly" right about. The same is true regarding Ezekiel's vision.

Holy books are written as vague templates that people can project their needs, hopes and fears upon. They are timeless exactly because they are non-specific and cater to archetypes and symbols, not to actual data or information.
regarding bold above,
archetypes and symbols though DO convey data, and DO convey information.

they convey vast amounts of data and information. a veritable treasure trove of riches, sparkling and illuminating.
layered meaning is not "vague" except to those who lack the ability to grasp, understand, discover, apply, process, and make use of it.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-07-2024 at 11:02 PM..

Old 03-07-2024, 11:29 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

I just read the bolded, and a dim memory floated into the forefront of my brain. Wow. Something I haven't thought about in years. Christian chalk artist. We had one come to our church.

As far as old religions go, one of the most interesting set of books I ever read were the Earth's Children series, at least the first three. The author dragged it out a bit too much with the subsequent three, in my opinion.

The story takes place 25,000 years ago when the glaciers of the last ice age are still on the earth and both modern humans and Neanderthals exist and sometimes interact. She bases the religions of the Neanderthal characters (the Clan) on Pacific Northwest native spirituality with animal totems and the religion of the Others (modern humans) on archeological finds from what is now the steppes of Ukraine. Of course, we do not know exactly what they believed, but the figures carved from mammoth bones seem to venerate a female fertility goddess, which in the books is the Great Earth Mother. The oceans and rivers are viewed as the birth waters from which we all came.

The story worked because it made sense that these ancient people living in a harsh climate dependent on the whims of the planet might indeed have concluded that such a deity existed.

I was fortunate enough to see some of the artifacts on which Jean Auel based her stories at the American Museum of Natural History when they were on display there. It was a look back through time at our European ancestors, and I got chills looking at pieces of mammoth ivory carved into large-breasted, pregnant figurines and wondering who the person was that made each one and how they survived. Their beliefs, whether they actually aligned with Auel's conjecture or not, helped them to survive.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:15 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
regarding bold above,
archetypes and symbols though DO convey data
Data about different beliefs.

Quote:
and DO convey information.
Information about different beliefs.

Quote:
they convey vast amounts of data and information. a veritable treasure trove of riches, sparkling and illuminating.
layered meaning is not "vague" except to those who lack the ability to grasp, understand, discover, apply, process, and make use of it.
So it is not vague, but you need an alleged ability to grasp, understand, discover, apply, process, and make use of it?

Do you ever check your opinions and assertions with the real world to see if they follow the evidence?

Old 03-08-2024, 05:18 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Data about different beliefs.

Information about different beliefs.

So it is not vague, but you need an alleged ability to grasp, understand, discover, apply, process, and make use of it?

Do you ever check your opinions and assertions with the real world to see if they follow the evidence?
The bolded is key.

In general I personally sort of dislike the use of the term "data" here.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:49 AM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
There is a sacred text and, as usual, I forgot its title, that is part of the Vedas, that is dated to 96 000(thousand) years back, as it describes astronomical events, that happened around that time and, are confirmed by the modern astronomy.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:13 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just read the bolded, and a dim memory floated into the forefront of my brain. Wow. Something I haven't thought about in years. Christian chalk artist. We had one come to our church.
I even remember her name -- Kay Friedrickson. She was actually quite effective. I believe she was a retired or furloughed missionary from "I forget where". She traveled and sometimes drew large (to me as a 6 year old) crowds in public meeting places. My mother, I recall, was quite excited about her.

Old 03-08-2024, 12:25 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
I even remember her name -- Kay Friedrickson. She was actually quite effective. I believe she was a retired or furloughed missionary from "I forget where". She traveled and sometimes drew large (to me as a 6 year old) crowds in public meeting places. My mother, I recall, was quite excited about her.
I believe this is the correct spelling of her name and short bio.

KAY FRIEDERICHSEN was born in China to missionary parents in the early 1900s. She and her husband, Paul, served three terms as missionaries in the Philippines and were imprisoned in Japanese concentration camps during the World War II. Following her family’s return to the United States, she conducted Bible classes and presented chalk-talk messages in churches throughout America. Kay is the author of God’s Relief for Burdens, God’s Way Made Easy, and God’s Word Made Plain. She co-authored Like Them That Dream with her husband. Kay is now home with her Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality