Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 04:58 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
Why couldn't it be something like a revelatory dream. Which I believe can come from God.
Harry posited they are unfamiliar experiences that people make imperfect sense of using whatever cultural referents they are familiar with. Your explanation is way more complex and fraught and full of assumptions. Yes messages from Beyond could explain it, but then you bring in a whole supernatural element that can't be verified or assessed in any way. But the advantage of doing it your way is that it first your beliefs -- so there'e that.

Some people look for the most economical explanation that needs the fewest actors / entities to account for it. Some people contort themselves to make the explanation fit their pre-existing beliefs or assumptions. [shrug]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 05:09 PM

34 posts, read 3,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Harry posited they are unfamiliar experiences that people make imperfect sense of using whatever cultural referents they are familiar with. Your explanation is way more complex and fraught and full of assumptions. Yes messages from Beyond could explain it, but then you bring in a whole supernatural element that can't be verified or assessed in any way. But the advantage of doing it your way is that it first your beliefs -- so there'e that.

Some people look for the most economical explanation that needs the fewest actors / entities to account for it. Some people contort themselves to make the explanation fit their pre-existing beliefs or assumptions. [shrug]
"They're coming down the backstretch, aaaaannnnd...... Occam's Razor, for the win!!"

Old 04-04-2024, 05:11 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodNightGracie View Post
"They're coming down the backstretch, aaaaannnnd...... Occam's Razor, for the win!!"
Lol

Old 04-04-2024, 05:31 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Souls....... It may sound crazy, but this is what my research has led me to.

I've studied cases of 4268 individuals that were clinically dead and brought back to life.

2326 were male and 1942 were female.

Out of the 4268 individuals, only 1790 had reported to have had an NDE.

Of the 1790 individuals, 1071 were individuals under the age of 18. 513 were individuals between the ages of 19 and 30 and the remaining 206 were individuals over the age of 30.

My findings are a lot more extensive, but this is the jist of it. Just made it simple so I don't want people getting bored reading all of what I have researched.

I basically said the same thing a few years back that if only 10% have NDE's and the other 90% experience only blackness and no awareness of anything then perhaps some humans have evolved a spirit while the vast majority have not. Consequently only a few of us will go on to some kind of afterlife while the rest of us will blinker out and our consciousnesses cease to exist forever. It's the only logical explanation if one is going to take the position that NDE's are real. I used to believe in an afterlife but now I just accept that when we die we're dead, period and NDE's are just some sort of anomaly of the brain in its final moments.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:41 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
I have looked at a few studies and watched a Ted Talk by an emergency physician who collected data on it.He question anyone he though may of had a NDE not all had them and he collected a lot of data.He found many similarities and that it would match each persons religion but not always. Basically he said in all of them you may or may not have a out of body experience looking down on yourself then you would proceed down a tunnel and when you got to the end a possible life review and then you would be met by family members or in many a Being of light who radiates love. You're told its not your time and sent back.

This makes God a bit of a nincompoop, doesn't it? I mean who's minding the store up there when people accidentally get killed and then the folks running the show in the afterlife say, "Ooops. We screwed up." Sounds like Final Destination in reverse.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:08 PM

155 posts, read 27,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

What is more important than the characters in the vision, is the meaning or message from the experience.
Such as Ebenezer Scrooge and his transformation in A Christmas Carol.

Old 04-04-2024, 11:21 PM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
Why couldn't it be something like a revelatory dream. Which I believe can come from God.
That is a possibility, but we know people process experiences, and we know most people do not have near death experiences, so experiencing something that is not the norm means the brain will try and make sense of something from it's background knowledge.

We do not know if your god exists, or if it would be interested in communicating with you, or if it even knows of your existence.

I prefer to accept the evidence that we know than base an idea on what I want to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality