Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 08:43 AM
Status: "BAGA - Be a Great American: Expose far-right lies daily" (set 17 days ago)

11,345 posts, read 7,404,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Spinach makes me strong, a little spinach and a little olive oil.
Well done, Mr. Popeye! 100 points today for you Sir. I'm not sure if many others caught the connection.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-14-2024 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2024, 08:55 AM

64,185 posts, read 40,699,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
"I Am that I Am" is a common English translation of the Hebrew phrase אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה‎‎ (’ehye ’ăšer ’ehye; pronounced [ʔehˈje ʔaˈʃer ʔehˈje])– also "I am who (I) am", "I will become what I choose to become", "I am what I am", "I will be what I will be", "I create what(ever) I create", or "I am the Existing One".[1]
Interpretation
According to the Hebrew Bible, in the encounter of the burning bush (Exodus 3:14), Moses asks what he is to say to the Israelites when they ask what gods ('Elohiym) have sent him to them, and YHWH replies, "I am who I am", adding, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I am has sent me to you.'"[4] Despite this exchange, the Israelites are never written to have asked Moses for the name of God.[13] Then there are a number of probably unanswerable questions, including who it is that does not know God's name, Moses or the Israelites (most commentators take it that it is Moses who does not know, meaning that the Israelites will ask him the name in order to prove his credentials), and just what the statement means.[13]

The last can be approached in three ways:

"I am who I am" – an evasion of Moses' question;[14]
"I am who am" or "I am he who is" – a statement of the nature of Israel's God. Scholars believe it refers to God's eternal nature, which is common in ancient Near Eastern cultures and not restricted to Hellenistic philosophy. However, it might be a reaction to the motif of gods arbitrarily disappearing in Canaanite mythology;[15]
"'I Am' is who I am", or "I am because I am" – this version has not played a major part in scholarly discussion of the phrase, but the first variant has been incorporated into the New English Bible.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_t...sting%20One%22

PS. In my opinion, the most suiting my perspective is "I am he, who IS". Pointing at everlasting existence(presence). Same can be referred to any living soul.

Old 06-14-2024, 09:34 AM

2,670 posts, read 1,543,142 times
The coolest name ever!

Old 06-14-2024, 11:27 AM

1,057 posts, read 827,013 times
No thing is new to God, and no cosmic event ever comes as a surprise; he inhabits the circle of eternity. He is without beginning or end of days. To God there is no past, present, or future; all time is present at any given moment.

Old 06-14-2024, 11:30 AM

19,277 posts, read 27,980,308 times
Just to ad:

First, the situation. Moses inquires with God, what is his name. In spiritual realm, name is not just a collection of ear pleasing sounds. Historically, "name" carries essence of a person, its mark, so to speak. This is why there was, and, still is, a lot of fuss about choosing proper name for a child, as it is believed to be "god's mark" for the lifetime, to certain point, determining that person's future and character. This is why there was a tradition to have two names - one, sacred and hidden, known to only few and, second, common name, used daily for communication. This is why people say - To live up to one's name.
Second, the response. Keeping in mind the first, God can't just give nonchalant response. It has to provide a name, that will describe its nature in its essence. And, be understood by an ant, Moses, god is communicating with.
Now, here's the thing. Everything on the physical plane of the physical world is transient. Nothing lasts forever, all compositor things eventually come apart and are being replaced or vanish. That is basic philosophical and, spiritual characteristic of the physical world. Human included.
Now, god, clearly, is eternal. God IS. It has no beginning, no end, it has presence (in everything. I am alpha and omega, the beginning and the end).
Thus the response "I am that, that IS" describes that attribute of god, in one word. AMNESS. I AMNESS, everlasting presence of god's "I-ness" vs ever changing world.

And some humor: a white priest and a black priest argue, if god is black or white. After several hours, their argument starts getting heated up and noise reaches heaven and distracts god. God thunders down: I am, what I am!
See, jumps white priest, I told you, god is white! How so, asks black preacher? Because if he were black, he'd have said I is, what I is!

Old 06-14-2024, 07:39 PM

7,087 posts, read 7,023,289 times
I like the joke.

From what I read, as you get a higher frequency (upstairs), you merge with other 'parts of other yous' which probably means that a single name for the 'larger you' is meaningless. Which you do you choose to name yourself by? (This is getting to sound like a tongue-twister)

Anyway, the out-of-body folk seem to say that you do not focus on a place but you focus on a person you knew and you will be taken or travel to that person. This is to say that entities have a particular 'feel' or frequency which is their unique vibration and in that realm, you are known by your unique frequency NOT by a name which is an Earthly 3D construct. That would make sense since there could be loads of John Smiths over the years. This kind-of explains why God didn't want to give a name because that would be meaningless in any other environment than Earth. It is probably a way of avoiding explaining all the details of "how it works" to Moses.

Old 06-14-2024, 10:14 PM

19,277 posts, read 27,980,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

From what I read, as you get a higher frequency (upstairs), you merge with other 'parts of other yous' which probably means that a single name for the 'larger you' is meaningless. Which you do you choose to name yourself by? (This is getting to sound like a tongue-twister)

There is a shorter and much more meaningful answer to Moses's inquiry.

OM.
Actually, it's O-U-M. Three sounds that created everything.

https://1000logos.net/wp-content/upl.../OM-Symbol.png

It is the essence of the supreme Absolute, consciousness, Ātman, Brahman, or the cosmic world. In Indic traditions, Om serves as a sonic representation of the divine, a standard of Vedic authority and a central aspect of soteriological doctrines and practices.

OM is the sound when everything else disappears from your being – no thought, no dream, no projections, no expectations, not even a single ripple – your whole lake of consciousness is simply silent; it has become just a mirror. In those rare moments you hear the sound of silence. It is the most valuable experience because it not only shows a quality of the inner music – it also shows that the inner is full of harmony, joy, blissfulness. All that is implied in the music of OM.
https://www.oshonews.com/2011/07/19/om-symbol-osho-2/

Old Today, 05:43 PM

711 posts, read 653,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What does it mean and why do people refer to it?

Please try to explain it without saying the phrase itself because, to me, it ("I AM THAT I AM") does not mean anything.
It wouldn't mean anything to you unless you knew who it was, and the only way to know is if he had manifested to you or one of your ancestors who had passed down the knowledge of him.

I am was the Spirit that had manifested to the forefathers of Israel, the phrase was the way to communicate to the Hebrews who he was in a manner in which that would recognize.

In the NT, when Jesus said things like before Abraham was I am, or I am the light of the world amongst other things where he uses the term I am, he isn't referring unto himself but unto the Elohim which is the Holy Ghost, the God that said "Let us make man in the flesh after our image and likeness, a speaking spirit. Male and female created he them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality