Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:56 PM

515 posts, read 716,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I am an atheist. If I ever decide to believe in supernatural beings I think I would be partial to Zeus and the gang. At the very least I would believe in many gods, not one.
Well. they ARE a lot more interesting than the guy in the sky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:03 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
God is not hiding...He's in plain sight. You are looking for God to physically manifest Himself to you and God is looking for you to spiritually and mentally surrender yourself to Him by faith so He CAN manifest Himself to you. What purpose does it serve for God to create beings in His image only to force them to serve Him? That's why it's a choice, that's why He wants you to choose Him.

You have to believe that the Bible is the Word of God and that He is the only God. When you believe the Bible, then you know that man created the world we live in, not God. The sin from Adam and Eve and the deceit of Satan are what created the horrors of this world, not God. Could God put an end to all suffering and make everything sunshine and roses? Of course, He's God!!! But God has a plan, and ultimately it's not for us to question His authority and plan.

And when you accept Jesus, have faith and live a Godly life, you are guaranteed sunshine and roses in the next life!!! It's simple, really. Change your mindset. Put your faith in what is unseen, not what is seen. Living as a Christian is not easy, but we are directed by God's Word to delight in persecution, adversity and troubles!! For we do this because we love Him and what He did for all of us on the cross, BECAUSE He loves us. He provided a way for us to not suffer forever....His only Son, Jesus Christ.

How do YOU know what an alleged god wants or how he would contact me? What makes you right and me wrong? And don't cite the bible, because all religions have some kind of holy book or writings.

Guaranteed sunshine and roses in the next life? Like you will just look at God and say, "Gee, it was okay you didn't help me when I was mugged, or got cancer. Gee, you let me suffer to earn something better. What does that make you?" See, it makes a god a sadist, because he gets something out of our suffering. It is all silly, because supposedly your bible said Jesus did all the suffering for us, but then you contradict it saying if we suffer here, we get goodies when we die.

Which one is it?

You see, any being who would insist on us suffering here is sadistic, or nonexistent.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:39 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,141 times
wow nebulous.. you are angry at God coz of the sufferings here on earth?? so is it safe to say that your view of life is that it MUST be all bed of roses? then, imagine that life you want... suppose there is no God ...life is all happy and worry free. what now? the life u picture is the life that God has promised HIS believers. u know i think i have cancer. my mom died of cancer. i experienced pain 10-12 yrs ago after my mom was diagnosed with cancer. i went to the same doctor that diagnosed my mom. what did she say? "wait for the lump to grow" i cant believe she said that to me and make me pay for it!! watta good for nothing doctor. and true enough the lump is bigger now. i experience pain but one talk to God to pls. make it easy on me. the pain went away. the lump is still here. i know im dying. i know it's cancer. but as long as i dont suffer while i have it. i am okay with it. i have the money but i prefer to let the cancer take its own course. i dont wanna grow old anyway... my point is: how amazing how God make me bear the slight pains i feel. i feel healthy i look healthy. i know this lump is serious but... i just leave it to God... we all die anyway.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
wow nebulous.. you are angry at God coz of the sufferings here on earth??
No. Nebulous doesn't believe. You can't be angry at something you don't believe in. That cancels out the rest of your post. So sorry you wasted your time.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 AM

oh.. coz that's how your post come off to me. then why say our God is sadistic if you dont believe? why judge or give opinions on a God or something or anything at all you dont believe? ya sorry i waste MY time.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
That's simply your assumption.
Many atheists, me included, get tired of you pushing your god beliefs on us and making assumptions about what we do or do not believe.

It would be nice if you would just knock it off and respect our lack of belief in your god-thing.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:07 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
oh.. coz that's how your post come off to me. then why say our God is sadistic if you dont believe? why judge or give opinions on a God or something or anything at all you dont believe? ya sorry i waste MY time.
The description of God in the bible is sadistic. We don't have to believe it's true to conclude that.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 AM

you are talking of the stories from old testament. i think the reason why Jesus came down and live as human is coz He wants to understand how to be a human or the human nature. i still cant understand why u believe the "sadistic" stories u read from old testament but don't believe that God exists. u deny the existence of God but doesnt deny his sadistic nature? how can the stories of the bible be true if God doesnt exist? i dont see logic there. FYI im not pushing anything here. im just trying to see ur "logic". so the God from old testament is "sadistic" what does Jesus from new testament is to you?

i recently found out about this bible passage:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34

im shocked by this. i never read this or known about this passage in the bible so i googled it. at first i was like what does it mean? the only one i can think of is story of joan of arc. i think He is talking about the future crusades in HIS name. also u know like the never ending word war of believers and non believers today.. no sword but we are fighting about Jesus' existence.

i think though that passage is Jesus prophesizing the future crusades in HIS name. and theres a lot of proof of that in history of the world and especially the spread of Christianity as it is now.

Last edited by LBSer; 03-23-2009 at 04:26 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Atheists still don't believe in, or care about, your bible and the stories therein.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,059 times
The Story of a Scholar and an Atheist

There is one story of a Scholar and an Atheist. Long ago an Atheist did not believe the existence of God. He asked a scholar for a debate about the existence of God. Among the questions are: “Does God exist?” and “If God exists then where is God?”

Then they decided when and where the debate takes place.

The Atheist and the villagers were waiting for the scholar, but the scholar did not come right on time. When the Atheist and the villagers thought that the scholar will not come for the debate, then the scholar showed up.

“I am sorry to keep you waiting for so long. But the rain is so heavy so the river floods. The bridge drifted away so I could not cross it. Thank God suddenly there was a big tree fell down. Then the branches cut out by themselves so the trunk was branchless. After that the trunk was cut and a hole was created so it became a boat. So I used the boat and crossed the river,” said the scholar.

The Atheist and the villagers were laughing. The Atheist said to the villagers, “This scholar is mad. How can a tree became a boat by itself with no one made it? How can a boat exist with no maker who made it?”

The villagers were laughing out loud.

After the people calmed down, the scholar said, “If you believe that the boat could not exist without its maker, then how could you believe the earth, sky, and its contents exist without its creator? Which is the most difficult to make? Making a boat or creating the earth, sky, and its contents?

Hearing that, they realized that they trapped with their own statement.

“Then answer my second question,” said the Atheist. “If God exists, why can’t He be seen? Where is God?” The Atheist thought since he cannot see God then God does not exist.

The scholar slapped the Atheist’s cheek hardly so the Atheist felt so much pain.

“Why did you slap me? It’s very painful”

The scholar asked, “There is no pain. I cannot see pain. Where is pain?”

“The pain is here,” the Atheist pointed his cheek.

“No, I cannot see pain. Do you see the pain?” asked the scholar to the villagers.

The villagers said, “No!”

“So, though we cannot see the pain does not mean that the pain does not exist. So is the God. Just because we cannot see the God does not mean that God does not exist. Though we cannot see Him, but we can see His creations.” Said the scholar.

The argument of the scholar is very simple. Yet, the argument that God does not exist just because human’s sense could not sense the existence of God is very wrong.

How many things that could not be seen or heard by people but exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality