Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 04:15 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,447 times

Advertisements

This is a spin off from the other thread. I know there are a few people who post here who were atheists/agnostics and then became Christians. I would love to hear some of your stories, if you would care to share with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
:::crickets:::

Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
i believe everyone is born a Atheist. from that point its the parents decision how to raise the child. once the child has grown up and can think for themselves intelligently, it is when they choose weather or not to continue with a religion. that, or religion has been pounded into their brain so hard they have been conditioned to live their life with that religion

Old 06-09-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
i believe everyone is born a Atheist. from that point its the parents decision how to raise the child. once the child has grown up and can think for themselves intelligently, it is when they choose weather or not to continue with a religion. that, or religion has been pounded into their brain so hard they have been conditioned to live their life with that religion
Well I appreciate your right to your opinion Fishy, but I don't really understand what it has to do with the OP. Oh and I was raised in a Christian home and now that I'm an adult, I thank God that my parents saw fit to take me to church so I could learn about the Savior. I can think intelligently for myself and I did not have religion pounded into my brain.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:48 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
I hate to ruin anyone's day, but I certainly agree with Fishy. That isn't to say religion can't be a very good thing for many people, but generally, the trend is as humans grow more rational through education (highly dependent on type of study) an open mind as well as increased information about other cultures and knowledge leads them away from standardized religion.

You'll find the occasional person who felt such a void in their life that they felt they needed it, but this thread won't find the amount of information and storytelling as the other, and I'm not trying to bash your religion for it, it's just not nearly as typical.

What also hurts religion in the country is that its method of success has to be to take children's minds to move it. So as the child changes, so does the information which it felt so true before. It's alot like believing in many other tales as children and then putting them all into context when it becomes more able.

It is such a confusing time when children in the form of teenagers come to conclusions their parents have not yet arrived at, which leads them to many times fight the new information, just as their parents are. (This has the potential to change drastically in a generation or two when grandparents and parents alike will have grown up in ages of information.)

Old 06-09-2008, 04:57 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
I was not raised by a Christian family. My parents were not even religious, and I never attended any 'church' until I was a teen, and chose to go, and yet I was seeking God from the time I was very small.
I always found it amazing that our son, when he was still a very small infant, would cry when he heard spiritual music ! I really think he still had a link with God!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:03 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
who were atheists/agnostics and then became Christians
what i was getting at was every christian was once an atheist

sorry, i didnt mean to derail the thread or suggest that religious people are stupid. merely saying that at the age of self independence that usually you maintain the capacity to choose weather to pursue religion or not and maybe more so become a true christian

religion is taught, ur not born with it

Old 06-09-2008, 05:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
So, uh, do any (self-identifying) atheists/agnostics-turned-Christian have any stories?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I'm kinda feeling like us atheists should stay out of this one, afterall, it's a legitimate question and we already have a thread for the other point of view.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm kinda feeling like us atheists should stay out of this one, afterall, it's a legitimate question and we already have a thread for the other point of view.
Thanks MG!....I appreciate your support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality