Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 10:56 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtue_summer View Post
Funnily enough I do rather believe that. My beliefs aren't conventional and as a child people would say God created the world and I'd say "out of what?" Finally one day I realized I had an answer. Out of himself. So I have no problem with the idea that the energy in the universe has always existed. I would simply say that it has always existed as a part of the divine force out of which also emanates the consciousness or what have you that I call God. Of course I'm guessing that what you're getting at is why I need God to explain the forces in the universe at all. To that I would say I don't. From a scientific standpoint there is no requirement for a god to exist. But that doesn't change my conviction that God does exist. I didn't gain my faith because I was trying to fill in holes left by science. I gained my faith because it filled in a hole I found in my life.
So what you are saying is that your god set off the big bang?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
How did God come to exist? Becasue God is.
That is not an answer.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:37 AM

87 posts, read 134,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
So what you are saying is that your god set off the big bang?
Could be. I'm not a biblical literalist and by no means a creationist. I think God created the world and would technically control it but I am rather persuaded of the natural phenomena approach, that God works within the laws of the universe. He created them, after all. When I'm not being fascinated by the Bible I'm often fascinated by evolution, especially the history of human evolution. It amazes me some of the discoveries that have been made.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:50 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Look at this statement:

"We don't know, it may be beyond our comprehension at this point, and we may never be able to know the real answer for certain at any rate."

If one is able to accept that statement as the answer to the question, "where did God come from?", then they should also be able to accept it as an answer to the question, "where did the universe come from?"

Because it doesn't really help anything to say "logic tells us that the universe couldn't have always existed, so there must be a God..... who always existed."

Whatever rules of logic one constructs for investigating the origins of the Universe also apply to the origins of God. If logic tells us nothing comes into existence on its own, then that applies to a God, and the God who created him, and the God that created him. If logic tells you that it is possible for a God to have always existed, then that same logic should tell you that it was possible for the energy and the matter in the Universe to have always existed.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtue_summer View Post
Could be. I'm not a biblical literalist and by no means a creationist. I think God created the world and would technically control it but I am rather persuaded of the natural phenomena approach, that God works within the laws of the universe. He created them, after all. When I'm not being fascinated by the Bible I'm often fascinated by evolution, especially the history of human evolution. It amazes me some of the discoveries that have been made.
Well as long as you are not claiming a bunch of things about your god, without physical evidence and reasoned logic.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:51 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I don't believe that is true.
Your use of the term 'believe' is key. This seems to infer a certain religious aspect to your viewpoint.

Quote:
Its a fundamental principle of classical physics that matter and energy can change forms, but they can never be created or destroyed. This is called the Law of conservation of matter and energy.
Is this referencing a 'closed system' or an 'open system?'

Quote:
So instead I think science informs us that energy and matter are infinite rather than finite, they only change forms back and forth.
"So instead I think..."

Interesting choice of words.

Let's not jump to conclusions. First, please explain under what conditions the back and forth occurs and whether or not the known universe would fall into or meet this existing conditions example.

Quote:
So rather than say "everything observable is finite", the truth is that the principles of conservation say that everything observable is infinite, although changing in form."
Are you arguing for a 'steady state' universe?

Quote:
As mentioned above, science suggest that the matter and energy in the universe always existed, because the principle of conservation states that it is impossible to make more of it or destroy it. You can convert Mass into energy, or energy into mass (at a ratio of E=MC2), but the sum of the energy and mass are constant and infinite.
Again, under what conditions?

We also have the 2nd Law of thermodynamics.

We also have this thing called 'friction.'

What is energy? Don't tell me about what it compares to or what it does, tell me what it is.

Quote:
So the question is, do you believe in the law of conservation of energy and mass? Because if you do, then you believe that the mass and the energy in universe must necessarily have always existed.
I believe that my aforementioned responses illustrate the absurdity of this assertion.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Lead on, maestro!

You assert a false dilemma. Well, why not go ahead and turn us on to the other choices.

I'm not buying your sophistry.
No, you are buying your preconceived bigotry and what you have been told by others of your ilk.

You assert a false statement to be true and cannot stand to be contradicted. Your either/or argument falls flat on its face. IE, in the past it would be either "Zeus" did it or "Apollo" did it. Come to find out a natural action did it.

There are always choices. Of course for you, your only choice is to do what your masters tell you, allowing for no new information to effect what you "know". Extremely limited way to live. But that is a theist for you.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Dang, I keep tryin' to rep predos and gplex, keep gettin' the same message to spread around, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks Dusty. The thought is appreciated and enough

Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
How did god come into existence?

well, it was a mistake, Abraham was writing about this truly wonderful dog he had, but, ole Abe was dyslexic. Bummer, that dog never got the respect he deserved.
Or maybe a really old fairy farted?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:21 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Science informs us that everything observable is finite. Birth and death. Beginning and ending. This would include the universe.

We know that we exist. We know that nothing observable is finite.

Now:

0 + 0 = 0

Zero plus zero equals zero. Seems logical, does it not?

Something MUST therefore be infinite. Whatever that something is, would quite logically, appear to be an entity that is beyond our ability to observe in the empirical sense.

My assertion is that the aforementioned invisible entity is - God.
Wait what? Using a variation of a mathematical axiom to make a claim about reality are just 2 baseless assertions disguised as something else. The question is just as banal as saying that either god exists or you are logically a pedophile.

I suppose now you will start bombarding me with non-sequitirs , snide remarks and misinterpretations of science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality