Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:04 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
It is impossible to argue logically and rationally with atheistic evolutionists because they invent statistics or "facts" and then proceed to make their case against creationism from them. The logical person would consider his or own body and the wonders of it and conclude that someone much, much greater than he designed and created it. This is logical because that same person will look at a space shuttle and without even thinking about it, know without a doubt that highly intelligent people designed it and constructed. That is reasonable and that is logical. I

However, when people refuse to accept that their is a God to whom they are accountable for their lifestyles and actions, anything, even the ridiculous, will be sought to explain Him away.
Exactly what you said except substitute the word evolutionist for creationist...Creationists have no evidence at all and blind themselves to the vast amount of evidence for evolution...In my world that is called a closed mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,491,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Over 99% of all of the species that have ever lived are now extinct. That poses some interesting questions for those who believe in creationism. If the earth was really only about six thousand years old and all of the species that God created existed together during one time period that would mean that all of these millions of species have gone extinct in just a few thousand years and the one percent who survived are all that's left. How in the world could you explain such a thing? Consider some of the animals that are now extinct such as certain meat eating dinosaurs or even the sabre toothed tiger. They would have been much more dangerous and likely to survive than animals like the grizzly bear which is not extinct. What events could have taken place in just a six thousand year time period that could have wiped out 99% of all species?
It is impossible to reason or interact on a level of logic with an atheistic evolutionist. They invent statistics and "facts" from which they draw conclusons and then ask creationists to explain them! They have no explanation for the origin of the materials that clearly make up this world, yet they insist that creationists provide concrete proof that God exists!

It is logical and reasonable, when watching a space shuttle ascend into space, to assume that persons of very high intelligence designed it, constructed it, and control it. No one doubts that. Yet, some of these same people (e.g. atheistic evolutionists), when considering the marvelous and intricate complexities of the bodies of those astronauts within that intelligently design spacecraft, conclude that they all evolved by chance without any intelligent design at all behind it. That is totally illogical, irrational, and unreasonable. So why do they insist upon it?

Because they will not and cannot accept the alternative--that there is a God who created them and the world in which they live; a God to whom they themselves are accountable for their lifestyles and their actions; a God who is their judge!

"For the wrath of God is REVEALED from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who SUPPRESS THE TRUTH in unrighteousness, because what is KNOWN of God is manifest in them, for God has SHOWN IT to them. For since the creation of the world, His invisible attributes are CLEARLY SEEN, being understood BY THE THINGS THAT ARE MADE, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that THEY ARE WITHOUT EXCUSE, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him AS GOD, nor were thankful, but became FUTILE IN THEIR THOUGHTS, and their FOOLISH hearts were darkened. PROFESSING TO BE WISE, they became FOOLS, and changed the glory of the incorruputible God into an image made like corruptible man . . ." (Romans 1:22ff).

The earth continues to rotate on its axis whether we believe it does or not. The earth continues to revolve around the sun whether we believe it does or not. And God will continue to rule this world and have authority over all men all the days of their lives whether they believe He does or not.

Preterist

Old 06-15-2008, 08:26 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,525 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ml#post3558900

Old 06-15-2008, 08:30 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,617,514 times
Preterist wrote:
Quote:
It is impossible to argue logically and rationally with atheistic evolutionists because they invent statistics or "facts" and then proceed to make their case against creationism from them.
You have that exactly backwards, it's the creationists who are always scrambling to make up some explanation for anything that contradicts the six thousand year creation story. Scientists who have made the calculations for the percentage of species that are extinct are just making observations about what is known from the fossil record and are not doing it to attack creationism as you seem to suggest. The Bible actually gives two separate descriptions of what animals Noah took aboard the arc which contradict each other. I'm going by the first version which states that Noah took a male and female of every single land animal and that is what most creationists also believe. I'm merely pointing out why this story doesn't make any sense when Noah is supposed to have saved all of the land animals and yet 99% of them are extinct and I am asking what happened to them. What facts or statistics do you think are being made up? You can go into any big natural history museum and see the fossils of animals that are extinct right under your nose.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
creationism and evolution,
are equally implausible for me

Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,617,514 times
Oakback wrote:
Quote:
creationism and evolution,
are equally implausible for me
That was kind of surprising to read because I can't think of any other explanations. I'm just curious, could you elaborate on that a little bit and explain what your thoughts are? Thanks.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 AM

forgive by brevity, I'm a lousey/lazy typist.

IMO:
Creationism ( biblical literalism ) is simplistic and counter intuitive.

Current evolutionary theory ( I'm no expert ) has too many significant holes in it. That's not to say there is no scientific explanation to the developement of our current world, it's just that the current one's are lacking.

As a theist, I don't find that religion and science are mutually exclusive.
I believe one day, they will both agree.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:47 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,525 times
"During the months that have passed since that September morning some have asked me what understanding of Nature one shapes from so strange a year? I would answer that one’s first appreciation is a sense that creation is still going on, that the creative forces are as great and as active to-day as they have ever been, and that to-morrow’s morning will be as heroic as any of the world. Creation is here and now. So near is man to the creative pageant, so much a part is he of the endless and incredible experiment, that any glimpse he may have will be but the revelation of a moment, a solitary note in a symphony thundering through debatable existences of time. Poetry is as necessary to comprehension as science. It is impossible to live without reverence as it is without joy."

- Henry Beston, The Outermost House (1928)

Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
"During the months that have passed since that September morning some have asked me what understanding of Nature one shapes from so strange a year? I would answer that one’s first appreciation is a sense that creation is still going on, that the creative forces are as great and as active to-day as they have ever been, and that to-morrow’s morning will be as heroic as any of the world. Creation is here and now. So near is man to the creative pageant, so much a part is he of the endless and incredible experiment, that any glimpse he may have will be but the revelation of a moment, a solitary note in a symphony thundering through debatable existences of time. Poetry is as necessary to comprehension as science. It is impossible to live without reverence as it is without joy."

- Henry Beston, The Outermost House (1928)

Great!

Thanks

Old 06-15-2008, 10:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
It is impossible to reason or interact on a level of logic with an atheistic evolutionist. They invent statistics and "facts" from which they draw conclusons and then ask creationists to explain them!
Please provide evidence showing conclusively that there are no fossils of extinct organisms or retract this claim, please.

Quote:
It is logical and reasonable, when watching a space shuttle ascend into space, to assume that persons of very high intelligence designed it, constructed it, and control it. No one doubts that. Yet, some of these same people (e.g. atheistic evolutionists), when considering the marvelous and intricate complexities of the bodies of those astronauts within that intelligently design spacecraft, conclude that they all evolved by chance without any intelligent design at all behind it. That is totally illogical, irrational, and unreasonable. So why do they insist upon it?
We've seen people making a space shuttle. We've got no evidence of a magical creator god poofing people into existence from dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality