Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You just proved yourself a fool in your last sentence.
Quite the contrary, I'm smart because I want no part of it. Where do you profess calling me a fool for not wanting a part of it? I was never a catholic but taught in a catholic school for quite a few years and knew enough to know what worshipping false prophets was all about and wanted no part of it! When a teachers is required by the catholic church to put a photgraph of the pope and bishop in her classroom for the children, just as the children on the FLDS were required to see day in day out and becomes the norm, what do you call that? The pope and the bishop are just people. they shouldn't be worshipped. It shouldn't be required to hand photos. I also know a former priest who left the church to be told why would he leave to serve in a lesser church, Methodist. catholics are suppose to be Christians, they, won't acknowledge themselves as such but say i'm a catholic is what I'm saying, you are just not hearing, either because you are too angry because you are too defensive on what others are trying to point out to you or you were taught something totally out there. It is a faith of teaching of worshipping that is not correct.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:29 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,525 times
I have a question...I came across this while I was looking for info on the pope's apparel (still haven't found anything on that).

If Peter (who was married) was the first pope...why did St. Linus succeed him and not a fellow Apostle? The Apostle John was still alive when Peter died. There were 3 more popes after Linus who the Apostle John never made reference to while he was still living. John lived to about 100 A.D. and 4 popes succeeded Peter.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:48 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Catholics do not pray to Mary, ftr.
Catholics do sometimes ask Mary to pray for them. Yeah, it may be a little unusual to ask someone you've never seen or directly spoken to to carry your intentions to God...but it seems to work for all the people on the "prayer request" thread. Members of the Catholic Church also pray directly, and not just on Sundays when they pray the "Our Father" en masse (no pun intended).
Jesus Christ acts as our intercessor to God, not Mary. Mary was a Godly woman, but she is not the way to God. Jesus Christ is the only way.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
The scriptures reveal that Jesus is the only mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5, 1 John 2:1, Acts 4:12).

1 Timothy 2:5 For [there is] one God and one Mediator between God and men, [the] Man Christ Jesus,

In grade school you were being taught "Catholic" doctrine. Catholics have murdered in the past for anyone having possession of scripture.

No religious institution on earth has as much to fear about its members reading the scripture as the Catholic Church. When Catholics study the scripture they learn that in order to please God, they must discard the many false doctrines which their church has accumulated over the centuries. Following is an excerpt from an address given by the Cardinals to Pope Pius III in 1503 A.D., and is preserved in the National Library of Paris, Folio No. 1068, Vol. 2, pp. 650 651:

The Catholic Catechism

The scriptures give us clear commandments concerning our handling of heresies in the church (Romans 16:17-18, Titus 3:10-11, 2 Thessalonians 3:6,14,15).
I do know the difference between catechism and the holy bible. Yes, we were taught catechism. But we also spent two years reading and studying the bible. The old testament and the new. I assure you, I may not be a believer but I do know the differnece. Please don't try to tell me what my experiences were.
And please tell me just when the catholic church murdered someone for possessing a bible? When and where? Please...do tell. As I said, my mother has a bible as does my sister as do my inlaws --- hell, there are bibles everywhere! My own dd has her very own bible with which to study when she was in CCD. I have yet to see the papal goon squad kill her or anyone else though.
And seriously, are you quoting a speech from 1503 AD? That is what has you so certain that catholics are evil?! Time moves on baby....time for you to move on with it.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
By all means, do not apologize. Did you note that no one was too pleased in trying to answer your very noble and legitimate questions. Good for you in trying to ask questions and search for truth. I will try to answer your questions.

The reason the Pope has all the getup and camping compared him to many other false religions, is that Catholicism comes from "man" and is a false religion. Please compare the apostle Peter, who the Catholics "claim" is the very first Pope, to what the Pope is. Two very different contrasts, I might add. Please look at the following scripture.

Acts 19:25-26 As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped [him.] But Peter lifted him up, saying, "Stand up; I myself am also a man."

The Bible clearly warns us in Matthew 23:9 to call no earthly man our "father." In other words, only God is to be reverenced. The Catholics not only call the Pope "father," but literally idolize the man. The Pope is not the vicar of heaven, but somewhere else.

Matthew 23:5-9 "But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." -

The Catholic Church with it's gold-plated cups, marble floors, extravagant buildings, and billions of dollars certainly fits the description of the Scriptures we just read.

Mary is praised and mentioned hundreds of times more than the name of Jesus Christ ever is in the Catholic religion. Catholicism is Mary worship! In a standard Rosary prayer, a Catholic will praise Mary 53 times (hail Mary's).

Why does the Pope wear a fish head hat?

"The two-horned mitre, which the Pope wears,
when he sits on the high altar at Rome
and receives the adoration of the Cardinals,
is the very mitre worn by the Priests of Dagon,
the fish-god of the Philistines and Babylonians."
- The Two Babylons ; Alexander Hislop; p. 215

To learn more about the occult "symbolism" that is saturated within the Catholic religion go here : The Sun Pope

Go here to learn more of the "Popes" fish head hat: Pope's Mitre

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

Don't let false religionist bully you, or lead you to feel guilty. It is a favorite tactic of theirs. To make you feel guilty is a form of brainwashing and manipulation. Ask questions. We are thinkers.
Thank you. I only apologized because of the comment of one poster who claimed I was mocking them. I am not mocking them or that was not my intention. I just do not believe the "traditions of the Catholic Church" and never will.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You just proved yourself a fool in your last sentence.
The Bible says that you are not to call anyone a fool. Perhaps you should do some more reading.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
[quote=beeveenh;4122151]I have a question...I came across this while I was looking for info on the pope's apparel (still haven't found anything on that).
QUOTE]

An interesting article...

The Seeker - A personal and professional quest for truth | Chicago Tribune | Blog

Old 06-16-2008, 12:28 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Another fun article:

BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | The Pope's new clothes

Old 06-16-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
The Bible says that you are not to call anyone a fool. Perhaps you should do some more reading.
Ah, but its ok to spread untrue propaganda about other religions in order to bolster your own? It's been a mighty long time since I studied the bible (at a catholic school no less ) but I do remember that christ was mightily perturbed with people who took abundant pride in their presumed closeness to god, to the point of disparaging their fellow man. I recall stories of jesus hanging out with prostitutes, taxman and shepherds (all of whom were considered the dregs of judean society) and eschewing the company of 'true' religious people.

As far as to your original question as to why the funny getup and pointy hat (yes, that was real respectful and mature of you) that the pope wears....I believe it is all about tradition. Thats it. I don't think it has any special or holy or supernatural explanation (hate to disapoint some of you out there).

Last edited by camping!; 06-16-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: smth

Old 06-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Thank you. I only apologized because of the comment of one poster who claimed I was mocking them. I am not mocking them or that was not my intention. I just do not believe the "traditions of the Catholic Church" and never will.
So if you started this thread with the foregone conclusion that catholics are wrong....why start it? Unless you wanted to get in some catholic bashing?
Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality