Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:42 AM

5 posts, read 29,546 times

Advertisements

For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.” - Matthew 16:25
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:12 AM

58 posts, read 205,402 times
"is this the only verse in all the Gospeles which condemn whom not worshipp jesus as a God ?"

That is total nonsense. The point of Christianity is not whether you believe Jesus is God or not - there are different interpretations just like in EVERY other religion. The question is whether you believe that Jesus is the Mediator of an eternal covenant with God or not.

"The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. There is none other commandment greater than these."

You are Christian if you are baptized as the Bible says and follow the teachings of Jesus, just like you are Muslim when you say the Shahada and follow the teachings of Muhammad. The rest is not about what faith you belong to, but about what Christian denomination you are a member of or which of the Islamic schools of law you accept.

As for Islam, I always have this one saying of Jesus in my head:
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."
But as you say in the Qu'ran: "For you is your religion, and for me is mine".

Last edited by Munich; 06-27-2008 at 02:35 AM..

Old 06-27-2008, 02:17 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alenaedu View Post
For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.” - Matthew 16:25
this verse do nothing with my question also
anyway , what is your interpretation for this verse ?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich View Post
"is this the only verse in all the Gospeles which condemn whom not worshipp jesus as a God ?"

That is total nonsense. The point of Christianity is not whether you believe Jesus is God or not - there are different interpretations just like in EVERY other religion. The question is whether you believe that Jesus is the Mediator of a new and eternal covenant or not.

"The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. There is none other commandment greater than these."

And also: "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."
well , these commandments is exactly the same basics of islam relegion , am i in the safe side now ?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:43 AM

Different people will tell you different things. Do you believe that Christ died on the cross and rescurrected after three days?

I have learned a lot about the main religions in this world since this is something that really interests me and I am pretty sure that with Islam you follow some very different teachings.

Just one simple example:
"But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Whereas I am sure you are familiar with Sura 9 of the Qu'ran and the fight against infidels and the people that fight against Muslims. Not really THAT peaceful ;-)

Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Different people will tell you different things. Do you believe that Christ died on the cross and rescurrected after three days?

I have learned a lot about the main religions in this world since this is something that really interests me and I am pretty sure that with Islam you follow some very different teachings.

Just one simple example:
"But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Whereas I am sure you are familiar with Sura 9 of the Qu'ran and the fight against infidels and the people that fight against Muslims. Not really THAT peaceful ;-)
well , you have a point
but if i supposed that jesus really adviced you to love your enemy , and pray for those who persecute you

so what is the the type of perseute which you can be tolerance with ? what is the level of persecute that he mean ?

is it logic that jesus advised you to love who trying kill you and your family and your people ?

i think that may be if it was really his words without corruption , so may be you miunderstand it completely

i can give you some tolerance from islam for thier enemy if you like

beside this verse from quran refer to infidles whom fight with muslims , not any infidls

Last edited by elwill; 06-27-2008 at 05:08 AM..

Old 06-27-2008, 04:28 AM

He talks about what is perfect in every respect - and we all know that none of us is. If you REALLY read this passage above, what on earth could make you think that Jesus tries to say "...as long as they do not hurt you". There is no such thing as "until what level". The truth is never wrong, under no circumstances and even if it may be uncomfortable. ;-)

You and me, we may both believe in one God, but it is a very different one. The God that I believe in is the one who called himself "I am that I am", He is the same one that the Jews believe in, whereas Allah was one of many Gods in pre-islamic Arabia - his symbol was the cresent moon, believers prayed towards Mecca several times a day, and so on.

Last edited by Munich; 06-27-2008 at 04:36 AM..

Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
well , you have a point
but if i supposed that jesus really adviced you to love your enemy , and pray for those who persecute you

so what is the the type of perseute which you can be tolerance with ? what is the level of persecute that he mean ?

is it logic that jesus advised you to love who trying kill you and your family and your people ?

i think that may be if it was really his words without corruption , so may be you miunderstand it completely

i can give you some tolerance from islam for thier enemy if you like

beside this verse from quran refer to infidles whom fight with muslims , not any infidls

I do not understand this question. Are you asking if we should love the muslims that are trying to kill all of us ??? Is this meant to justfy the killing of Christians by muslims ?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
He talks about what is perfect in every respect - and we all know that none of us is.
If you REALLY read this passage above, what on earth could make you think that Jesus tries to say "...as long as they do not hurt you". There is no such thing as "until what level". The truth is never wrong, under no circumstances and even if it may be uncomfortable. ;-)
what made me think that you misundrestood what he means by pray for whom persecute you , is the same reason which made you think that God of muslims commanded them to kill every infideles

for these verses and without any illiberality , i can't believe that it's really the words of jesus (pbuh)
in islam , you should to be strong and just in the same time
in islam, you should to be tolerance with dignity in the same time
but what i see in these verses is that jesus want you to be obsequious .

from the other side , if your vision about the perfect christian to love your enemy is correct , it will make me wonder , are you love Osama bin laden ?
may be not , so if you perfect person are you should love him because jesus said to you love your enemy ?

Quote:
You and me, we may both believe in one God, but it is a very different one. The God that I believe in is the one who called himself "I am that I am", He is the same one that the Jews believe in, whereas Allah was one of many Gods in pre-islamic Arabia - his symbol was the cresent moon, believers prayed towards Mecca several times a day, and so on.
i believe that muslims , christians , jews are worships the smae God , but just one relegion of them is acceptable by God

about allah name , it wasn't exist never in pre_islamic time
and the symbol of cresent moon not related to islam relegion at all
believers never prayed toward mekka befor islam , not even in islam beginning

Old 06-27-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I do not understand this question. Are you asking if we should love the muslims that are trying to kill all of us ??? Is this meant to justfy the killing of Christians by muslims ?

i whom ask this question
dear Munich compared between islam and christianity that in christianity jesus (pbuh) said love your enemy and pray for whom persecute you

whether in quran we are ordered to kill whom fight us , so that i asked this question for him

but to make it clear , muslims never justify the killing of any innocents , and i challenge you to find for me islamic sites justify killing of christians .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality