Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:40 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times

Advertisements

Ok so hypothetically speaking. What if we all had the same belief's, then what? Would the world be more peaceful? I'm not sure. I've been in the same religious organization as someone and thought we had the same beliefs and there was still conflict. As a matter of fact many religious sects have their own conflict's amongst themselves. So trying to convert someone to our set of belief's isn't necessarily going to solve the problems of global war and confict.

But what about respecting what other's believe, not accepting, but simply respecting their belief path or non belief path. I've read some very intriguing post's by self proclaimed athiest's where their knowledge of scientific data far surpasses my own. I couldn't possibly try to argue with them even if I wanted to. I've also read some very passionate post's by some Christians that could convert some of the most unbelieving people. Then again I've read words of humble praise and true acceptance of what others believe and these are they that truely speak to me.

They seem to have a grasp on their own path they choose to walk. They are not easily offended, they speak little and tread lightly. They are content with their belief's, they accept others. This I feel is the path to true peace, a world peace that will heal our mother earth. Not to convert others to our way of living, but to simply allow others to choose a path that is right for them. That is all.

You are all amazing people and it is an honor to be able to read your words and I thank you for allowing me into your reasoning. It is a blessing. May your path be bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 AM

17 posts, read 33,357 times
Quote:
But what about respecting what other's believe, . . .
But some beliefs are incompatible and very destructive to others. Should I respect a belief that wants to destroy mine or is harmful to mankind? One should not automatically respect a belief. But we can, and should, respect the person without respecting their beliefs.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Jesus's prayed for his disciples, then he prayed for all believers,
John 17:
verse 20. My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
verse 21. that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are one in me and I am one in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
verse 22. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one:
verse 23. I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Now I ask...what did Christ mean when He said "complete unity" ???

And will the world know that God sent Him if we are not in "complete unity" ? ( RE-read verse 23 )

Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
As long as humans exist, they will never all agree on anything..We all have different genetic makeup that prevents us from being "in one mind"..As long as we have inherited traits from our parents, we are who we are..Some will always think they are right no matter what proof is presented..Some will always be full of their own pride and self righteousness as to turn others against all belief..Others will be silent about much of their beliefs in order to protect their peace with God..Others will allow the love of the Father to show through their humbleness and the way they live their lives, and especially in their patience and gentleness when sharing their beliefs with others who may be searching for God...It would be a strange world if we all were clones

Old 06-27-2008, 12:01 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,632 times
If we all believed the same thing the world would be a lot more peaceful and generally a much nicer place to live. Sadly this will never be the case.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
As long as humans exist, they will never all agree on anything..We all have different genetic makeup that prevents us from being "in one mind"..As long as we have inherited traits from our parents, we are who we are..Some will always think they are right no matter what proof is presented..Some will always be full of their own pride and self righteousness as to turn others against all belief..Others will be silent about much of their beliefs in order to protect their peace with God..Others will allow the love of the Father to show through their humbleness and the way they live their lives, and especially in their patience and gentleness when sharing their beliefs with others who may be searching for God...It would be a strange world if we all were clones

When the church was first established it was all on the same doctrine. It was because man did not chose to continue in that doctrine that so many religions came to be. I do not believe the word of God is difficult to understand. If it were, Christ did not think that it was, otherwise He would not have prayed that we all be one. The 'one' He was praying for was the one faith, not that we all be clones in all that we think and do ! His disciples were one in faith, but had very differant personalities, differant jobs, differant lives...but one faith.
I am sorry that is so hard to understand .

Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Marion, I was responding to Moonsavvys "hypothetical" question..I was not looking for any debate, nor do I wish to get involved in one..I have a pretty good understanding of the doctrine of Christ

Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
moonsavvy, wouldn't it be nice if that were so, that would make this place heaven on earth because everybody would get along, however I don't think that that is what the Creator had in mind, because he created us with free will and we have surely taken advantage of that. Now if we can only learn to respect one another regardless of our different beliefs, then maybe we could learn to get along with each other. We can only hope. osay

Old 06-27-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Marion, I was responding to Moonsavvys "hypothetical" question..I was not looking for any debate, nor do I wish to get involved in one..I have a pretty good understanding of the doctrine of Christ

Oh, okay. I just assumed since you didn't make that designation you were responding to what I posted....sorry ....

Old 06-27-2008, 03:22 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
When the church was first established it was all on the same doctrine. It was because man did not chose to continue in that doctrine that so many religions came to be. I do not believe the word of God is difficult to understand. If it were, Christ did not think that it was, otherwise He would not have prayed that we all be one. The 'one' He was praying for was the one faith, not that we all be clones in all that we think and do ! His disciples were one in faith, but had very differant personalities, differant jobs, differant lives...but one faith.
I am sorry that is so hard to understand .
Who's church? Christianity, Judaism, and Islam were all based on a belief in the same God, and how far apart are they? Are their beliefs more valid than those of Buddhists, Hindus, Native Americans, or those who follow Wicca? As far as I am concerned, the belief system isn't nearly as important as how it is interpreted, or misinterpreted for personal gain. All religion have moral tenets at their center, basically the Golden Rule. If people could follow them more closely, I beleive there would be less dissention in the world. It is when people pick and choose scripture and lift them out of context from the Bible, the Koran, or the Torah, or other teaching and corrupt them to suit their own narrow purpose that conflict arises. I believe that Jesus was more interested in the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law, and it is that path I try to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality