Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 02:44 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Fortunately for all of us, God's grace is without prejudice. No where in the Bible does compartmentalize sin and reserve grace only for those who commit "acceptable"sins. This is why I believe God does forgive suicide.

June, my favorite Bible verse is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have you declares the Lord, they are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a HOPE and a future".
And to foster depression: (Matthew 7:13-14)

13 "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few

Old 07-06-2008, 02:51 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Do I think suicide is immoral I guess that is the topic.
No..I do not think suicide is immoral..Someone who commits suicide does not do that if his mind is healthy and his life is halfway normal enough that he can handle stress and grief..I do not consider suicide murder..I call it a poor decision of a troubled person..My nephew committed suicide when he was 20 years old..There were many warnings, many cries for help from a beautiful, humble, loving person who was under terrible pressures, judgements and wrong decisions in his young life..The family he loved so much and tried to please seemed too busy lecturing him instead of listening to him and loving him.....

Old 07-06-2008, 03:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
There are some suicides recorded in the Bible...though not specifically called "suicides" King Saul (1 Samuel 31:4-5), Ahithophel (2 Samuel 17:23), and Judas Iscariot (Matthew 27:5) are all undeniable accounts of suicides with little comment on its acceptableness.

The taking of human life is strictly governed by God. He assumes for Himself authority over life and death (Deuteronomy 32:39). He forbids humans from taking human life as a general practice (Exodus 20:13; Genesis 9:6). He does allow the exceptions of protecting human life (John 15:13), capital punishment (Genesis 9:6; Exodus 21:12), and war for taking human life (Romans 13:1-5).

Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows."

Remember how Jesus responded to the devil when Satan wanted him to throw himself off of the high wall of the temple to his certain death,
Matthew 4:7 "Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test."

No matter if the suicide is driven by mental illness or sinful despair which is a loss of faith in the promises of God, suicide is a selfish act on the part of the one who does it.

It becomes a sinfully selfish act of anger and violence to self when it is done by the person who commits suicide, not as a result of a mental illness, but as a result of sin, sin that expresses itself in sinful unbelief of despair or see's no hope in the future of Gods promises.

“Assisted” suicide is the participating in the act of self-killing. As with all sinning, the Christian’s role is to avoid it and discourage it. To assist someone to commit a sin is in itself a grievous sin (Luke 17:1-2). In fact, the Bible calls for us to warn people who would sin, not encourage them to sin, with serious consequences if we fail to do so (ref. Ezekiel 3:18ff).

Old 07-06-2008, 03:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
twin.spin wrote:
Quote:
No matter if the suicide is driven by mental illness or sinful despair which is a loss of faith in the promises of God, suicide is a selfish act on the part of the one who does it.
When I think of something as being selfish I think of someone who wants more than their share or being self centered but all that someone gets when they commit suicide is their own death so how can that be a selfish act?

Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

It becomes a sinfully selfish act of anger and violence to self when it is done by the person who commits suicide, not as a result of a mental illness, but as a result of sin, sin that expresses itself in sinful unbelief of despair or see's no hope in the future of Gods promises.
Gee, thanks twin you are a mountain of comfort
It sorta reminds me of a statement my h made to his brother when his son (a policeman) was killed in the line of duty..My h told his brother his son was likely in hell since he had never been baptized.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
twin.spin wrote:

When I think of something as being selfish I think of someone who wants more than their share or being self centered but all that someone gets when they commit suicide is their own death so how can that be a selfish act?
As the next paragraph mentions: How? "It becomes a sinfully selfish act of anger and violence to self when it is done by the person who commits suicide, not as a result of a mental illness, but as a result of sin, sin that expresses itself in sinful unbelief of despair or see's no hope in the future of Gods promises."

Old 07-06-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Gee, thanks twin you are a mountain of comfort
It sorta reminds me of a statement my h made to his brother when his son (a policeman) was killed in the line of duty..My h told his brother his son was likely in hell since he had never been baptized.
That's too bad about your nephew. But two totally differnent scenarios.
But you are right, there is not much comfort when somebody murders themself in unbelief. That is why I choose the words carefully. There is a difference between the person who commits suicide, not as a result of a mental illness, but as a result of sin of unbelief. Sin of unbelief resulting in suicide are in the Bible. Judas is must famous of suicide because of despair.
Jesus was tempted with suicide and rejected it. Jesus is our pattern for Christian living, is he not?

If you read earlier, my w brother-in-law commited suicide. He suffered had a mental disease, he had severe head tramua from a motorcycle accident, he was incompetent.
Then there was a neighbor across the street from me who lost his job 8 years ago. He came home, went to the bedroom and put a revolver in his mouth.
Both suicides, two very different circumstances with different eternal consequences.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

If you read earlier, my w brother-in-law commited suicide. He suffered had a mental disease, he had severe head tramua from a motorcycle accident, he was incompetent.
Then there was a neighbor across the street from me who lost his job 8 years ago. He came home, went to the bedroom and put a revolver in his mouth.
Both suicides, two very different circumstances with different eternal consequences.
Sorry about your bil..Yes I did miss that post..I just have a problem believing that any suicide is done with a competent mind, Twin, even in an instant of insanity that your neighbor encountered and there was a gun handy in that moment.. I fully understand and respect where you are coming from, though..

Old 07-07-2008, 12:25 AM

389 posts, read 1,986,141 times
those who commit suicide are cowards. how ironic when they are brave enough to hang themselves.. shoot themselves, cut themselves, jump off a bldg... my goodness.. the thought alone of the ways to kill oneself makes me cringe.. and ultimately i am a catholic and i fear God's judgement on me taking my own life when HE might have better plans for me soon... i would rather face whatever suffering is ahead in life.. knowing my life will end inevitably NATURALLY anyway.. than face GOD and see HIS reaction on what have i done with my life(ending it abruptly).. eternally.

oh they are also stupid.. harsh but true. they definetely also has the lowest of the low self-esteem. coz no self-respecting being will do that to themselves..

its off topic but thats what i thought of people who has tatoos too. no self-respecting being will do that to themselves. and it freaking hurts.. so they say.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 AM

389 posts, read 1,986,141 times
Tricky D: suiciders are cowards to me coz most of them just thought their problems are unsolvable. but problems are MEANT TO BE SOLVED you know? most of them think ending their life means they will feel nothing. the end of their worries/fear/suffering. they are STUPID coz are they sure they will RIP....

STUPID coz facing the unknown unprepared is outright idiotic! NEVER courageous. lose-lose situation really.

you oughta know most people thought of death as the solution to their miserable life.. THE END of everything.. resting in peace.. but.. IS IT? no one knows.

i love myself too much to violate my OWN life/body dude. if you think respecting myself is foolish then.. SOMETHING IS WRONG with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality