Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:52 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,363,007 times

Advertisements

Think I am kidding?

"Among many of the poor and desperate of Mexico it is becoming popular to venerate Saint Death. There are statues of the Grim Reaper, amulets of protection, and offerings of food or liquor"

Mexico: St. Death Growing in Popularity

Santa Muerte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:06 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,419,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Think I am kidding?

"Among many of the poor and desperate of Mexico it is becoming popular to venerate Saint Death. There are statues of the Grim Reaper, amulets of protection, and offerings of food or liquor"

Mexico: St. Death Growing in Popularity

Santa Muerte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nope you aren't, it is true that there is some people who worships the death in Mexico, but more than the poor and desperate, she is popular among gangsters and drug dealers.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,320,459 times
It is really that much more outlandish than many of our holiday's? Don't get me wrong, St.Death is pretty far out there. But so long as it doesn't become something where mass killings ensue, it can't be all that bad...

Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,419,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
It is really that much more outlandish than many of our holiday's? Don't get me wrong, St.Death is pretty far out there. But so long as it doesn't become something where mass killings ensue, it can't be all that bad...
I agree, so far it's been more than a fad, and as far as I know, no one has been hurt, this has been going on for some years, like 10 or so maybe more

Old 07-03-2008, 05:08 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,363,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I agree, so far it's been more than a fad, and as far as I know, no one has been hurt, this has been going on for some years, like 10 or so maybe more
There was a mass murder in Matamoros where the victims were barried alive in the name of St Death. The murderes/dealers thought that they would be immune to anything.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:10 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,597,697 times
Quote:
There are statues of the Grim Reaper, amulets of protection, and offerings of food or liquor"
My God, giving away alcohol, this is a very sorry state of affairs!

Old 07-03-2008, 05:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Actually, many beliefs in that area of the world are often a combination of voodoo and Christianity (among other tribal religions). The people were impressed with the Christian religion when the missionaries brought it to them and basically adopted it carrying along much of their own religious beliefs creating an interesting mix of customs and beliefs.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,006,800 times
So did the Celts....that's why the Celtic Cross has a round sun behind the cross itself. It was how the Druid sun worship (nature worship) combined with the Christian Cross.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,852,153 times
Saw this article, and was not familiar with it. Is this a Saint for the 'lost souls'? Kind of like Satanism? It mentions prostitutes and drug dealers as followers, which I consider two very different types of crime.

Saint of Death casts pall | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/wellness/121131814.html - broken link)

Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 PM

659 posts, read 1,099,305 times
Default Que no me visita La Flaca todavía

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post

It's longer ago than that. It was already well established when I first lived in Mexico, and that was more than 10 years ago. I even bought a Santa Muerte statue at a market, not to venerate or anything but because it looked cool and I've always appreciated a good memento mori.

The way I had it explained to me was that it was all about realization and acceptance of your own mortality. Latin Americans and Mexicans in particular are not squeamish about death and death-related images, but rather see it as just another part of life. And since it's bound to happen, the thinking goes, it's important to have a good death. One Mexican euphemism to say someone has died is "se nos adelantó", which literally means "s/he went ahead of us". So it's important to keep that in mind- those who've died have gone ahead, but not that far ahead. Personally, I think it's a healthy attitude.

I don't know if all the stuff with the narcos and the underclass is a recent development or if it was something I didn't hear about at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality