U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,659,212 times

Advertisements

"The Omen" would be on the top of the list. Movie wasn't as great as a book, they never are. Movie doesn't go into deep details, but book, scared the heck out of me. Read it very very long time ago. Excellent!

Didn't care about Exorcist, but enjoyed reading the book, a lot better, of course!

Stephen King's "Storm of the Century" is favorite of mine as well.

"Rosemary's Baby" was quiet scary, to say the least!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 12:41 AM

8,567 posts, read 15,437,571 times
I like The Devil's advocate, Angel Heart, The Prophecy, The Seventh Sign and Stigmata.
I prefer psychological thrillers and fantasy over horror movies because they are more plausible.

As TV series go I very much like Joan of Arcadia, Eli stone and Brimstone.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 AM

4,972 posts, read 11,091,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I really enjoyed the Omen as well. I always felt bad for Damien. Everyone was out to get him and all he was trying to do was take over the world... It was a little heart wrenching.

However, there was a movie with Denzel Washington a few years ago called Fallen that I really enjoyed. I guess it could be considered semi-religious. It kind of reminded me of a book I read by C.S. Lewis a long time ago.
Fallen was a great movie! I've seen it a few times. A real nail-biter. It really kept me guessing (and that's saying something since I always seem to figure movies about before they end...).

Have a great 4th!

Old 07-04-2008, 04:26 PM

389 posts, read 1,912,765 times
i just watched the stand. it is a snoreville movie. not scary at all!! and the devil face makeup is a joke. i usually look away for fugly faces like that.. but here.. i dont even flinch.

i agree with fallen, devil's advocate and most especially the prophecy.. i love love that movie.. too bad all the prophecy sequels dont make sense at all.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:38 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,699,702 times
The movie End Of Days was on awhile back featuring the Governor of California as the man who fights evil forces. It was ok but not a knockout. I also agree with those who have mentioned The Devil's Advocate, I've seen that one at least four or five times and it really is well done. Fallen is also one I've watched several times. Even though I know that none of this is possible in real life it's fun to watch a well made horror movie. I'm not much of a comedy fan, I like a good thriller and like to get scared. When I was at a movie theatre years ago when the first Alien movie came out and the scene came on when they were exploring these strange egg shaped objects and then suddenly something jumped out of one of the eggs I was holding a large sized cup of Coke and I jumped in my seat and dumped most of it all over my clothes.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:06 PM

8,567 posts, read 15,437,571 times
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy
Quote:
I also agree with those who have mentioned The Devil's Advocate, I've seen that one at least four or five times and it really is well done.
If you like The Devil's Advocate I highly recommend Angel Heart (1987) with Robert De Niro as Louis Cyphere.
De Niro as the devil is even better as Pacino and Pacino is excellent as John Milton.

The Prophecy (only the 1st one) is also highly recommended.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:07 PM

10,580 posts, read 10,962,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There's one classic horror movie, The Exorcist, that I consider to be my all time favorite. Even though it came out in 1973 the special effects were great even by today's standards and I remember walking out of the movie theatre feeling a little stunned. Fainters and pukers from all around the world could attest to the fact that this movie built up a level of intensity and suspense that left you on the edge of your seat. It was far ahead of it's time and is a classic. So what are your favorites?
Hay MontanaGuy, Let me tell you about the movie The Exorcist, it's supposed to be based on an actual happening that took place Mount Rainier, Maryland in 1949. The main character of the movie is a young girl of about 12 years old, actually it was a young boy of about 13 or 14 years old and I know who the young boy is, his name is Ronald Hunkeler, he's a scientist for NASA and lives in Laurel, Maryland now. And the incident did not take place in Mount Rainier, Maryland, it took place in Cottage City, Maryland. Cottage City is in the same area as Mount Rainier, Brentwood, Colmar Manor, Bladensburg, and Hyattsville. My mother was born in Brentwood, Maryland and in the link that I'm going to send you, there is also mention of a St. Stephen's Lutheran Church in Brentwood, that's the Lutheran Church that my mother went to and the minister of that same church presided over my mother and father's wedding. So I know this story very well. This link that I'm sending you has five parts to it, so you may want to print it out and read it at your leisure, it makes for some interesting reading.
Part I - The Haunted Boy: the Inspiration for the Exorcist

Enjoy this

Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,699,702 times
Tricky D, I've seen Angel Heart and The Prophesy. Robert DeNiro has always been one of my favorite actors and I agree those are both excellent movies.

ptsum,
I've read about that Exorcist supposedly being based on a real event but I don't believe in the devil so that pretty much rules out the need for an exorcism. There's actually alot of people who have believed they were possessed by a demon or satan himself but I think there's something else going on that would be a more realistic explanation such as mental illness.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:00 PM

10,580 posts, read 10,962,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Tricky D, I've seen Angel Heart and The Prophesy. Robert DeNiro has always been one of my favorite actors and I agree those are both excellent movies.

ptsum,
I've read about that Exorcist supposedly being based on a real event but I don't believe in the devil so that pretty much rules out the need for an exorcism. There's actually alot of people who have believed they were possessed by a demon or satan himself but I think there's something else going on that would be a more realistic explanation such as mental illness.
You need to read the link that I sent you and see what the real story is about. Those of us that new this family did not believe he was possessed either and you will get to understand what really happened. Like I said it makes for some very interesting reading, not quite what you think.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:13 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,933,575 times
I think I am not much of a horror movie person and the movies on religion seem to be so far fetched I will in most cases pass them by.
I do have a problem around the holidays, when my wife will try to watch a few Xmas movies, but again I am not one to sit and watch something I think is doing harm to society, and I will find something else to do when they are on.
If any parts of the religious movies are scary, I think it is the fact that so many still accept it as true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality