Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM

133 posts, read 276,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The search for a direct connection between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom has taken 200 years - but it was presented to the world today at a special news conference in New York.
The discovery of the 95%-complete 'lemur monkey' - dubbed Ida - is described by experts as the "eighth wonder of the world".
They say its impact on the world of palaeontology will be "somewhat like an asteroid falling down to Earth".
Researchers say proof of this transitional species finally confirms Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, and the then radical, outlandish ideas he came up with during his time aboard the Beagle.
Sir David Attenborough said Darwin "would have been thrilled" to have seen the fossil - and says it tells us who we are and where we came from.
Missing Link: Scientists In New York Unveil Fossil Of Lemur Monkey Hailed As Man's Earliest Ancestor | World News | Sky News
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,760,342 times
*waits for deluge of naysayers to arrive and start quoting scripture*

On the other hand, I think this news is interestingly cool.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,935,271 times
"Waaaaayyyyyyyghhhttttt forrrr iiitttttttt....."

Sorta like expecting incoming artillery, ain't it, ZZ? It's OK though, I've got my Kevlar helmet on.

(BTW, though, good one, slashs!)

Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,444,494 times
You mean that fossilized lemur! Looks like a lemur, must be a lemur (not a monkey!). The "millions of years" and the "missing link" stuff is all added 'story' content, as in made-up.

Poor little guy, looks like he died quickly in the flood of Noah's day. That's my storyline I'm putting to it. It all depends on your presupositions.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,760,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
You mean that fossilized lemur! Looks like a lemur, must be a lemur (not a monkey!). The "millions of years" and the "missing link" stuff is all added 'story' content, as in made-up.

Poor little guy, looks like he died quickly in the flood of Noah's day. That's my storyline I'm putting to it. It all depends on your presupositions.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're off!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,764,653 times
Go ahead and call me an idiot, but someone's been hiding it for twenty years and presents a theory???

Wait for all the scientific peers to come together on this one, and let the scientific fighting begin.

You guys get way too ticked off by a casual media report.

There is something called "peer review" in scientific circles. There are many who still don't agree with Sommerfield's atomic theory

By the time, they prove the quantum mechanics behind this fossil like Avogadro's number, I'll grow a beard and die.

While you are at it, go to the BBC, they have a beautiful virtual movie on this lemurrrrrr

Old 05-19-2009, 12:09 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,444,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're off!
I was actually waiting until someone posted this article.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,079,118 times
Pardon me for being less-than-impressed. They found a fossil of a monkey, and have created a history around it...right down to the idea that its fractured wrist prevented it from climbing trees...so it had to leave the forest to drink and...and.....

oh boy.

And how is this a "missing link"? It was a fossil of a tiny monkey. Yay.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,764,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I was actually waiting until someone posted this article.
Let's humour the headsmackers and instill some reason into this Natgeophilia

The preservation is so good, it is possible to see the outline of its fur and even traces of its last meal.
Last meal: a poor baby gazelle

The fossil, nicknamed Ida, is claimed to be a "missing link" between today's higher primates - monkeys, apes and humans - and more distant relatives.

Watch the word "claimed". More words - distant. Now peep an adverb in "more". Adverbs tends to make the adjectives feel good.

But some independent experts, awaiting an opportunity to see the new fossil, are sceptical of the claim.
"independent" are those who are not dependent on the emotion of the outcome. Scepticism, this is a given amongst the scientific community. Obviously someone is more intelligent than the rest. More obviously someone is less interested in conceptual "spin".

And they have been critical of the hype surrounding the presentation of Ida.
Hype

Although details of the fossil have only just been published in a scientific journal - PLoS One - there is already a TV documentary and book tie-in.
Pork, pork and more pork. Royalty, pulitzer, tuxedo talk with a trophy.

For much of the intervening period, it has been in a private collection.
Translate: Access restricted to scientists (the underprivileged ones).

He said the fossil creature was "the closest thing we can get to a direct ancestor" and described the discovery as "a dream come true".
Key words to watch: closest, closest yet direct. Oxymoroning can be a crime. Then it's dreams.

But he said some aspects of the teeth indicate she is not a direct ancestor - more of an "aunt" than a "grandmother".
It's not direct anymore.

"She belongs to the group from which higher primates and human beings developed but my impression is she is not on the direct line."

Dr Henry Gee, a senior editor at the journal Nature, said the term itself was misleading and that the scientific community would need to evaluate its significance.
No evaluation has been done YET

Missing link? Or did the OP miss the link?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,935,271 times
Red face An admission (quiet sob sob)

Actually, for some time now, I've been hiding the fact that I, rifleman*, am the missing link. I'm less intelligent than many posters here, apparently, and I exhibit certain more primitive behavioral patterns (I hunt, I fish, I build old weapons, I like being in a tree versus in a big city high-rise apartment; I know how to survive off the land without a micro-wave, and I grunt a lot during certain, umm.. activities).

And, I'm available for review as a transitional. And, I'm also gonna admit, this lemur was my auntie.

So. There you finally have it. Evo proved once and for all!

Satisfied?

(*once known as lemur-man....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality