Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

I realize that religious people believe that they were created by God but what exactly is the purpose of this creation? That seems like such a basic question but I don't think the Bible really gives an answer, it just says that he created us. The skeptic in me looks at this question from another perspective. If a man was writing a book about the origins of humanity he wouldn't necessarily have to formulate a reason for why we needed to be created in the first place, he would instead just have to come up with an explanation about how it happened. Whether or not this explanation is accurate depends on your beliefs but I would think that anyone who is religious must have some thoughts about why our creation was necessary and what purpose it serves. Afterall, God is supposed to be perfect and we're supposed to be sinners, in fact the first batch was so bad he had to drown all of them so it seems like the creation of mankind wasn't such a great idea when you stop and think about it. Anyway, I was actually just reading Genesis, trying to find an explanation for our creation and I didn't see one. Why do you think God created us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
The Bible is bunk. If the King James version of the Bible is the "word of God" - then God must be an Englishman!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

I was actually just reading Genesis

June: Too stunned to post.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
I realize that religious people believe that they were created by God but what exactly is the purpose of this creation? That seems like such a basic question but I don't think the Bible really gives an answer, it just says that he created us. The skeptic in me looks at this question from another perspective. If a man was writing a book about the origins of humanity he wouldn't necessarily have to formulate a reason for why we needed to be created in the first place, he would instead just have to come up with an explanation about how it happened. Whether or not this explanation is accurate depends on your beliefs but I would think that anyone who is religious must have some thoughts about why our creation was necessary and what purpose it serves. Afterall, God is supposed to be perfect and we're supposed to be sinners, in fact the first batch was so bad he had to drown all of them so it seems like the creation of mankind wasn't such a great idea when you stop and think about it. Anyway, I was actually just reading Genesis, trying to find an explanation for our creation and I didn't see one. Why do you think God created us?
He created man so that he could learn everything "not to do". We are his teachers... he learns from our mistakes

Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
I like the question, MontanaGuy. I can't wait to see the answers.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
This is another one of those questions I used to wonder about. Indeed, what is the point? Talk about an ego!

"I'm going to create 'everything' just to prove to my own creation how powerful I am."

And when they don't like it, I have a place for them because my backstabbing friend just turned his back on me and he now has his own place where I'll send them.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:49 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Hey Montana Guy, that's a wonderful question, can't wait to see what answers will be.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 PM

90 posts, read 209,596 times
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy
What Would Be The Purpose Of God Creating Human Beings?

The possibility of having a loving relationship with them forever.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmos View Post

The possibility of having a loving relationship with them forever.
Ok... I can sort of get that but that sounds like something people do when they get a pet. When my wife was lonely because of my constant travels, I bought us a dog. We both love our dog very much and we would forever if we all weren't going to die.

So, basically, God made a bunch of pets because he was lonely. Nope, I'm not buying that.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
God created man because he desires fellowship with him. In 1 John 1:3 it states, (that you also) may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ. God is searching for a people who will follow Him and give their love to Him. When you give your life to Christ, you have stated to God that you desire such a relationship. It is the one thing a person can do in their life that tells God you love Him. And I have found in my own life, that as you draw close to God, He will draw close to you. I have also found, that God will make Himself obvious to you. He is a God of wonder, and death is no longer a thing of dread, but of great expectancy. I recall years ago how my grandmother of 90 some years had passed away. She had lived for Christ all of her life, and shortly before she passed away she had been ill. My aunt was taking care of her when my grandmother suddenly slumped down in the bed. My aunt felt that she had just died, and she sadly walked out of the room and was convinced she had passed on. Suddenly she heard my grandmother singing oh how I love Jesus, and quickly turned around and rushed back into the room. She then said, mom, I though you had passed away. Now my grandmother was back sitting up in the bed and told my aunt, "Bee, God has just given me a little glimpes of heaven. I saw all our Christian friends and family there, they all looked so good. Bee, I just can't wait to go." It was not that many months after that, when my grandmother finally did pass away. Yet all of the remaining family members knew that she was now walking with Jesus. And that is the exciting part about being a Christian. It is the knowledge that God is real, and it is the expectancy that someday in the future you will be with Jesus, and all of those who love Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality