Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:10 AM

188 posts, read 506,985 times

Advertisements

I also suffer from bad anxiety, and moreso lately obsessing over things. Here are a few things to keep in mind. First of all, your anxiety can be caused by something medical, liek overactive thyroid, too much sugar/caffeine, even a vitamin deficiency. Trust me, if you have health insurance, which I don't get a blood test, you never know if it's something a little B12 or some other medicine can't take care of....
Second, refocus your energy on helping someone else. Not necessarily doing someone else's housework, but helping someone out spiritually, or with a relationship problem or something.....

Last night I said a prayer that the Lord would put someone in my path that I could help. I asked Him to provide me with a day that was all about Him and not about me. This afternoon I got a phone call. It was from a man I know who had a bunch of free religious books for me that I could have for free. They just happened to be Protestant based books, which is my religious study. Go figure, hah? Also, I came back on this forum after not being on it for a while. For some reason I clicked on your post... and there I see someone else with the same basic battles I fight all the time. I can't even sit for a simple family gathering or getting a haircut without going into a nervous spiral, so don't feel bad; You're not alone. Imagine worrying over every little thing that happens in your body, or imagine worrying every single winter that you're going to get sick from stomach virus germs. Pathetic fears that I have, let me tell you. (hahaha) But one thing that gets me through it is praying in faith that I know the Lord is testing me for endurance and testing my faith. I find that when I get wrapped up in my own anxiety (and trying to figure out why it's happening to me), it "chokes the Word". Literally.... it's very easy to sway from the Bible reading and praying when one is so anxious..... so truly I know what you're going through.

You are not alone. But seriously, take me seriously when I tell you, just check out to see if you have something medically that could be causing your hyperactivity. Actually, you might be surprised and not so quick to blame yourself.

Best of blessing to come your way,
Reformed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 AM

188 posts, read 506,985 times
And by the way, I've already gone the route of trying to figure out the psychology of the nervousness, anxiety, worry, etc. While it makes sense to come to a revelation for a short time, it is something that I believe can continue unless you extensively figure out what the real problem is. For me, I dealt with my past "nervous-causing" issues, and though it helped for a while, one tends to forget what they learned and unfortunately sometimes the anxiety comes back because you get wrapped up with daily life and your past 'revelations' strangely blow away in the wind, leaving you wondering all over again what your problem is (it's happened to me). The one thing that can only strengthen over the years is your walk with the Lord. When one maintains a close walk with Him, it takes a mere minute to reconnect with Him (if you happen to fall away a bit here and there) and for Him to change things around for you. And you don't need an appointment to schedule a session with Jesus. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,532,554 times
Maxs mama, you are definitely not alone in your situation of guilt..I also have a "guilt complex".. Mine is about spending money on myself..I seldom buy myself anything except the necessities....I am very generous in spending, loaning or giving money to the children, grandchildren and others with no guilt. I know exactly where and how I developed this guilt complex, but try as I may, I can't get rid of it.. Anyway I just wanted you to know that others share your problem of guilt..Mine has become so engrained and nourished throughout my lifetime that I know it would be impossible to cure now, so I deal with it...and when I have finished a long day of shopping and appointments by myself, I just hurry home to eat or have a cup of coffee so I won't feel guilty that I have treated myself

I hope you will seek out help for these problems of guilt and worry that you have, because they can get to the point that can not only hurt yourself, but your loved ones also.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:03 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,289,167 times
Hi, Max's mama!

Just June here, checking in to let you know she's not forgotten you...

How's that breathing (meditation) coming along?

Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,674,407 times
wow, max's momma. My dh used to say I could worry about whether the sky was falling or not. And guilt, yup, I piled it on so thick I didn't ever think it would shake from me.

My life turned totally opposite from what it once was. If you were once very different, and suddenly found yourself this way, there had to be a trigger. But, worrying over what it would be is not good. You have to diffuse and I do believe June is more able to determine what you should or should not do than the rest of us simply by her vocation.

One other thing I would like to mention, since your family was this way, it stands to reason that you would be as well.

I know I was so bad that I totally quit driving at one point, and not even leaving the house.

I wish you the best in finding out how to stop this. Have you ever heard of Lucinda Bassett? I won't go into detail, but if you google her name, you will discover some great resources.

Best of luck to you, and one more thing.

I used to beat myeslf up because I read in my Bible that I should not worry or be guilty, and the fact that I did do these things made me worse and I felt as though I might not be a true christian which in turn made me worry even more.

June has the right idea.

In my opinion, my case was I thought TOO much and by doing so, I was causing myself to be even more worried and guilty. When I let go of that 'control' I found myself less stressed and amazingly less worried and less guilty.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
I am glad I found this exchange ... someone once said it in a way that made sense to me .... you have to consciously distract yourself and stop the "stinking thinking" ...because it is a downward spiral or endless cycle you put yourself on once you get on that thought track of worry/guilt ...it just feeds on itself .... I was told by a therapist either give yourself a time limit (five minutes) to "think about and confront" the worry/guilt, and then let it go .... or simply ignore it, get rid of it and distract yourself (get up from the chair, get out of bed, go for a walk, clean out a closet, etc.) immediately ... for me, doing something quickly when I start to worry/obsess/feel guilty is the only answer because if I "confront the worry" I think, oooo, if I just study this worry long enough or deeply enough or hash it out in my mind, I will figure out a solution, and fix it, change it, correct it, etc. That is an obsessive worrier's downfall ... because worrying is the problem, not the perceived problem! So for me, coming from very serious line of worriers, I have learned that when I start to worry/feel guilty, I say "all is well", "I give my troubles to you, God" and then I do something quickly and self-talk myself in to remembering that worry/guilt are feelings,not reality .... the reality is I am safe and blessed and that feelings are not reality. Blessings to all out there .... worrying and obsessing are ways we humans mentally hurt our own selves .... so when you feel the worry or guilt thoughts coming on, remember, just endure and be happy and do something physical (for yourself or someone else) quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality