Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times

Advertisements

So as not to go off topic of this thread ( //www.city-data.com/forum/athei...istianity.html ) or violate the TOS of the atheist forum, I started this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
It's downright confusing to someone on the outside looking in and if the whole idea of Jesus is a good one, it certainly doesn't reflect from what I see and hear from so many Christians.
Well, there you go. You answered your own question, Troop. It's as simple as that!
Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Unfortunately, the "many" also appears to include many "Christians".
Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
It might look like a minefield to navigate, but it's not. It really isn't. We like to make it complicated to excuse our own failings, and ignore simple truths. "That Christian does this and this Christian does that.. I don't know what's right.."

But do I really not know? In many cases, I do... This is not an excuse I will be able to hide behind. Truth is truth.. reality is reality.. God is God. It's between me and Him.

Last edited by cg81; 07-11-2008 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
So as not to go off topic of this thread ( //www.city-data.com/forum/athei...istianity.html ) or violate the TOS of the atheist forum, I started this thread.

Well, there you go. You answered your own question, Troop. It's as simple as that!
Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Unfortunately, the "many" also appears to include many "Christians".
Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
It might look like a minefield to navigate, but it's not. It really isn't. We like to make it complicated to excuse our own failings, and ignore simple truths. "That Christian does this and this Christian does that.. I don't know what's right.."

But do I really not know? In many cases, I do... This is not an excuse I will be able to hide behind. Truth is truth.. reality is reality.. God is God. It's between me and Him.
Amen, CG!! Unbelievers MUST NOT look to humans, regardless of what they "claim" to be, for answers. They must not expect to be able to hide behind the excuse of "so and so did this, and I went by their example"......this is not going to fly at judgment, and neither is "I'm mad at you, God, because you're unfair".

We all have a personal responsibility to find the truth through God's Word. Everyone is responsible for their own fate, and in the next life there are no excuses. You either believed in and lived for God, or you did not.

Refusing to believe the Bible and that God exists hurts only the unbeliever. It hurts the believer to hear these things from unbelievers, but once again, as Christians we are only responsible to tell about God's truth, not the choices others ultimately make. It would be better for someone to have never heard the gospel, than for someone to have heard and still not believed. That's what the Bible says. Pretty soon.....very, very soon, in fact.....everyone WILL have heard the gospel, and all things will be coming to an end.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with subscribing to Pascal's Wager.....someone might actually find that therein lies the absolute truth.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
As usual.. I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Amen, CG!! Unbelievers MUST NOT look to humans, regardless of what they "claim" to be, for answers.
So don't look for others for answers... but then in your post I'm provided an answer..
that I shouldn't look to others for answers but then in your post I'm provided an answer..
that I shouldn't look to others for answers but then in your post I'm provided an answer..

I'm dizzy.

In the end I guess I'll stop doing good. Jesus has never spoken to me (that I know of) so I guess I'm going to hell.

Makes perfect sense.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 PM

I have a feeling this thread is not going in the way it was intended. I didn't mean this to be a judgemental bashing spree.

Basically, God loves everyone.. but not everyone loves God.

There will be people who are saved, who we would be surprised to see in Heaven.

There will be people who are lost, who we would expect to see in Heaven.

God will be the final judge...

As Christians, let's all be a light and shine forth, realizing we are sinners saved by grace, not of ourselves.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:33 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
I have a feeling this thread is not going in the way it was intended. I didn't mean this to be a judgemental bashing spree.
Then you may have signed up with the wrong religion, because part of your duty is to canvas and tell people how Christ's love is superior and that all other beliefs will lead you to eternal damnation.

It's probably never going to come off not being judgemental.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Then you may have signed up with the wrong religion, because part of your duty is to canvas and tell people how Christ's love is superior and that all other beliefs will lead you to eternal damnation.
Sorry, no, I don't see this as my duty at all. In fact, I have no authority to act in that manner.

I want to be a light that draws.. that is all I can be.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:55 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
As Christians, let's all be a light and shine forth, realizing we are sinners saved by grace, not of ourselves.
Agreed.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
DayoftheLord wrote:
Quote:
Unbelievers MUST NOT look to humans, regardless of what they "claim" to be, for answers.
Where else would we look for answers? I don't know of any other animal that can even speak or would have much to say if they could except for humans and we don't believe that there's a God, I know I've never heard a peep out of him, so I don't know what other choices that are available.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:57 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
DayoftheLord wrote:

Where else would we look for answers? I don't know of any other animal that can even speak or would have much to say if they could except for humans and we don't believe that there's a God, I know I've never heard a peep out of him, so I don't know what other choices that are available.
I think what's being said is each individual must find God for themselves. On the other hand I LOVE to point people in the 'right' direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post

It's probably never going to come off not being judgemental.
A close study of the original languages (Hebrew/Greek) will reveal that there is no eternal damnation taught in the bible. The clearest example of it not being taught is Genesis 3 - the entire consequence for eating of the 'bad' tree is confined to trouble in this life.

The bible is a special book and is not meant to be taken literally. A literal interpretation of spiritual truths is what brought about the religion of Christianity as opposed (and it is opposed) to being a true disciple of Christ. I think Christ would have some not to kind words for hell fire preaching Christians just as He did for the religious leaders back in His day. In fact He only mentions the "judgement of Gahenna" (KJV renders it "damnation of hell") to the religious hypocrites of His day.

Paul's discourse on Mars hill is also very telling.

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-11-2008, 07:28 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
DayoftheLord wrote:

God's Word....the Bible.

I don't really think you want an answer, but I'm providing a response for those who might actually be seeking the truth of God's Word.

All the truth that is needed is through Jesus Christ and the Holy Word of God, which is the Bible. God tells us in his Word to "test everything". We are not to be led around by the noses believing everything we hear.

It's quite simple, really.

John 3:16...."For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

Believe......and receive. God has the only answers, not mankind.

Seeking guidance and counsel is different than leaning upon your own understanding or another person's. Understanding comes only through the Holy Spirit, who is given to those who accept Christ as the "Helper" in all things spiritual, including discernment of scriptures.

When one first accepts Christ as their Savior and they are "born-again", they are now a "babe" in Christ. It takes some longer than others to mature in Christ, but it's a growing process. Some never go beyond accepting Him, but that is the most important step. It's VERY debatable as to "once saved, always saved", but God knows our hearts and our weaknesses so if we never grow as a Christian and remain "babes", no one can say for sure what the outcome of that will be.

Christianity is simple....the walk of a Christian is not.
Without Christ though, there is no walk.

So, the simplicity of Christianity is this:

You accept Christ, live a Godly life according to what the scriptures teach and you live with God for all eternity.

You reject Christ, live an unGodly life according to what the scriptures teach and you don't live with God for all eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality