Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:52 AM

553 posts, read 568,275 times

Advertisements

If I had a dollar for each time I've been told this, I'd be a very rich man:

Quote:
The best thing, I think, is to read your Bible and ask God to reveal His truth to you.
I've often had this told to me right after asking one of a few difficult questions I may have asked Christians. Someone will inevitably drop the above line on me.

Do they REALLY believe this? I ask because doesn't it ALWAYS come down to accepting the opinion of someone else you either came in contact with, someone you look up to for instruction like a pastor or some popular author/speaker who themselves simply spout the opinions of others before them. If this was really true, why even buy a book by a Christian author, buy a lexicon, concordance, go to church to hear a pastor or watch Christian television to "hear" the word of God? If all I need to do is read the Bible and simply let God reveal some "truth" to me, can't I do that at home on my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
If I had a dollar for each time I've been told this, I'd be a very rich man:

I've often had this told to me right after asking one of a few difficult questions I may have asked Christians. Someone will inevitably drop the above line on me.

Do they REALLY believe this? I ask because doesn't it ALWAYS come down to accepting the opinion of someone else you either came in contact with, someone you look up to for instruction like a pastor or some popular author/speaker who themselves simply spout the opinions of others before them. If this was really true, why even buy a book by a Christian author, buy a lexicon, concordance, go to church to hear a pastor or watch Christian television to "hear" the word of God? If all I need to do is read the Bible and simply let God reveal some "truth" to me, can't I do that at home on my own?
It is a pat non-answer when the inevitable disconnects occur. My mother used to retreat to "you just don't understand."

Well, yes, but neither do you or you would have a real answer to the question. It is just a discussion ending statement with no real input and it allows the believer to believe they won the argument when in fact, they simply retreated to their beliefs rather than actually answer the question.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
It is a pat non-answer when the inevitable disconnects occur. My mother used to retreat to "you just don't understand."

Well, yes, but neither do you or you would have a real answer to the question. It is just a discussion ending statement with no real input and it allows the believer to believe they won the argument when in fact, they simply retreated to their beliefs rather than actually answer the question.
Exactly!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:47 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
If you are not already a Christian, that is how you can best find the truth on any biblical subject. It You are a Christian you go to 'church' to worship God, and that includes hearing a leson from the Word of God. There is no way a preacher or teacher can cover all of the scriptures in one lesson, or even in lots of lessons. That is why everyone needs to be searching the scriptures for themselves. They need to search the scripture also to see if what they have been told, by who-ever, is so.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
If you are not already a Christian, that is how you can best find the truth on any biblical subject.

So I can pick up a Bible, uninfluenced by anyone else, and God will reveal "truth" to me? I am not so encouraged by that Marian when even here Christians can barely agree.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
So I can pick up a Bible, uninfluenced by anyone else, and God will reveal "truth" to me? I am not so encouraged by that Marian when even here Christians can barely agree.

The bible does not give you anyone's opinions; it only gives you the word of God. As for picking it up, and having the truth revealed to you...the idea that you can just flip it open and get the answer to what you want to know is hogwash. You must study it to learn God's will, and you cannot just pick out the parts that appeal to you.
The reason there is so much disagreement is because people do not want to accept the parts that do not go along with what they want to believe.
Faith is accepting God's will, not molding it to your will !
The reason I like a concordance is because I can look up every scripture that speaks of the subject that I am wanting answers on, and getting the entire picture, not just the ones that fit what I want to believe. Sometimes it may appear that there is a contradiction, but if all is read, and the context is noted, there will be no contradictions.
You have to notice who is doing the speaking, who is being spoken to, and other pertinent surrounding scriptures. It is not a case of picking out a scripture that sounds good to you, and making a doctrine out of it.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
The bible does not give you anyone's opinions; it only gives you the word of God. As for picking it up, and having the truth revealed to you...the idea that you can just flip it open and get the answer to what you want to know is hogwash. You must study it to learn God's will, and you cannot just pick out the parts that appeal to you.
The reason there is so much disagreement is because people do not want to accept the parts that do not go along with what they want to believe.
Faith is accepting God's will, not molding it to your will !
The reason I like a concordance is because I can look up every scripture that speaks of the subject that I am wanting answers on, and getting the entire picture, not just the ones that fit what I want to believe. Sometimes it may appear that there is a contradiction, but if all is read, and the context is noted, there will be no contradictions.
You have to notice who is doing the speaking, who is being spoken to, and other pertinent surrounding scriptures. It is not a case of picking out a scripture that sounds good to you, and making a doctrine out of it.
Is that all that is needed Marian? How about a historical understanding or a thorough grasp on the social environment, external influences, that shaped the bible?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:57 PM

And oh Marian, I do believe the bible IS the opinion of a particular group of people. It's their version of of things.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:13 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
The bible does not give you anyone's opinions; it only gives you the word of God.
Well, in that case (assuming what you're saying is true), I suppose you also take all of the murders condoned by your god literally as well. If not, you can't claim to take the bible as the word of your god.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Sooo, this is just another Bible bashing, Christian bashing thread !!!!????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality