Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:51 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,178,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
As I said, eugenics is (for me, anyways) a scary thing. One plausable decision leads to another sensible decision and sometimes things go.....in a bad way.
For example, how do you feel about India and Chinas tendency to abort female fetuses? Ironic that something meant to empower women is also something that is making women quite rare in parts of the world.
Also, scientists are close to discovering the homosexual gene --- if they do, would you support parents making a well thought out considered decision on aborting a gay son?
Obviously, what goes on in China has no or little bearing in the US. But would you support abortions for sex selection alone? Or aborting a gay child? Should there be restrictions put in place for these types of abortions? Not being argumentative, just sincerely curious on your point of view.
People in China have no choice or say in the matter. We have to take into consideration their culture and government, it's still a regime, government controls everything they do, their deep culture of honoring man more then woman, it's all history based, same in India and some other countries. They don't only abort unborn girls, they kill them when they are born, now, that's a murder!

I can care less what sex child is, male/female/gay whatever, if it's healthy. My biggest concern is health! So yes, i would think it's crule to abort perfectly normal child based on sex, but if this child has deformities that will cause suffering in his/her life, then i have no problem with making decision based on my personal believes. And i believe that i can spare one more human suffering.

I'm curious however, and i know it's been discussed before, at what point fetus becomes a "child"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:11 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,651,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
People in China have no choice or say in the matter. We have to take into consideration their culture and government, it's still a regime, government controls everything they do, their deep culture of honoring man more then woman, it's all history based, same in India and some other countries. They don't only abort unborn girls, they kill them when they are born, now, that's a murder!

I can care less what sex child is, male/female/gay whatever, if it's healthy. My biggest concern is health! So yes, i would think it's crule to abort perfectly normal child based on sex, but if this child has deformities that will cause suffering in his/her life, then i have no problem with making decision based on my personal believes. And i believe that i can spare one more human suffering.

I'm curious however, and i know it's been discussed before, at what point fetus becomes a "child"?

Right now I don't believe that there are clear answers on that. Viability (around 22 weeks) seems to be it, still it makes one wonder is there that big of a difference between 21 weeks 6 days and 22 weeks?
Anyways, I understand your point of view. It is more frightening I think for the parents of a potentially disfigured child then for the child itself. After all, the child knows no other life. And really, what is disfigurement? Born without a face? Conjoined twins that can never be seperated? Then, there are people who would view correctable disfigurements as a deal breaker such a cleft palates and club feet.
I don't know. I think that all life is a crap shoot, really. Not a single one of us is guarenteed a perfect or healthy life and body. Things happen. I think the best we can do is learn to roll with the punches, so to speak.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,519,674 times
<<<<<
>>>>>

Your question begs an obvious answer. If you have to ask that question then you must side with the side of absolute caution. The use of "if" in your question shows us that there is a possibility (in my mind, a certainty) that a human embryo is a person with all the rights of any "fully developed" human that has been born.

In short, if you do not know when a fetus becomes a child, you must cautiously side and acknowledge that the newly formed life/embryo has all the rights of any walking/breathing human. To assert otherwise is to side with the very definition of inhumane....unwillingness to protect the most helpless.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,053,203 times
Abortion is acceptable under most circumstances for me, even if the woman's had over 20 of 'em. It's her choice, and no one else's.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,053,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post

When the fetus can live on its own without the mother's help. Basically, when it's no longer a parasite.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,388,929 times
Quote:
And really, what is disfigurement? Born without a face?
Wow - yeah - I'd say that counts as disfigurement. I would probably choose to abort that one.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:20 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,651,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Wow - yeah - I'd say that counts as disfigurement. I would probably choose to abort that one.
How about gay? Some very religious people find that to be an abomination?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,388,929 times
Quote:
How about gay? Some very religious people find that to be an abomination?
Whoa, there. I didn't say that having no face is an abomination - just a good reason not to give birth.
Other people may find being gay to be worse than having no face. If people want to abort a gay fetus, that doesn't bother me. One great thing about abortion is that it can prevent bad parenting. If you are a parent who has a little "abomination" growing inside you, then who am I to tell you when you can and cannot abort your fetus? I'd rather see an abortion happen then see a gay child be conditioned into hating himself.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,637,176 times
b.frank wrote:
Quote:
Whoa, there. I didn't say that having no face is an abomination - just a good reason not to give birth.
I mentioned on an earlier post about how my sister had been born with a large tumor on one side of her face. She was very seriously disfigured and even after multiple operations it's very noticeable and as I said before her life has been very difficult but I can't imagine not having her. I think we need to be careful when we make decisions of this nature. On the positive side my sister's IQ is 142, she's spent a career as a dedicated teacher and she has a knack of making good friends wherever she's been and she's probably the most generous and caring person I know. I know you didn't mean that as any kind of insensitive statement, it just happens to be an issue I have strong personal feelings about.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:04 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,178,490 times
MontanaGuy, i very well see how it might effect you.
You sister is in a good mental state, and that's what most important. Of course you will love your sister no matter what, she's here with you.

I think my op for abortion will be more toward mental disability vs. disfigurement, however, it all depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality