Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 747 times

Advertisements

I guess god work's in mysterious way's , especially for those who doubt the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 620 times
I have a question. I started going to church again after many years. I go three times a week. I have been born again, repented, given my life to Jesus, I have asked for forgiveness, I believe in the word of God, I speak the word, Read the Bible just about everyday, Pray often throughout the day every day. I don't think I have ever felt the presents of god not the holy spirit. I have had a few prayer answered, so what am I doing wrong. I need understanding.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 AM

7,572 posts, read 5,284,006 times
When I was child sitting in church surrounded by adults "feeling the spirit," seeing the light as they put it, I would sit in total wonderment as to what they were seeing much less feeling. I would stare as intently as a child could stare at the sun straining through the stained glass, or sit contemplating the hand fans with the sun, which I supposed was the light of god, streaming through the clouds and I saw and felt absolutely nothing.

I still do not see or feel nothing except the tangible world; the sun and stars huge balls of incandescent plasma; clouds, a visible mass of liquid droplets or frozen crystals made of water; I feel the earth beneath my feet and its gravitation pull upon my body, but I have never seen or felt anything that might be in the slightest considered a metaphysical, much less physical manifestation of some god or spirit.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:01 PM

779 posts, read 482,689 times
Think how many choirboys have felt the physical manifestation of god.

Moderator cut: Image removed

Nice form little Johnny.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-21-2015 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Image removed

Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,197 times
I had an experience around the age of eight, maybe nine and was riding my bike up these windy roads on my way to help this handicap boy learn his times tables.. We sat together on the bus and we both experienced being teased, so he was a friend to me. This was the third grade. At this time in my life I had been through so much, but my heart was good and I was already very wise from having such a rough life, poverty, constant traveling, homelessness, ect...I believe to this day that I was looked out for and hope that I still am. I have never read the bible, but my faith is from life experiences and based on an internal feeling. I feel these this things are not meant for us to judge, assume, or categorize..
Anyway, back to the story,.... The small Oregon mountain road was windy, I was out in the middle of no where and there were tons of big fat rattle snakes. I pasted this part in the rock wall, while the other side of the road there were steep cliffs, and in this half mooned section of the rock wall was a single tree, with tall grass. This spot looked like a mini little oasis. I passed it, but spotted something out of the corner of my eye and backed up.. The wind picked up intensely, and the grass started waving back and forth.. I look and immediately saw a ghost of a man in a robe. His body rippled and waved as he stood on the grass, I could see the tree behind him, through him.. I kept having to put on my brakes as I was in complete shock and there was a gradual hill behind me. I was floating in awe.. It happened very quickly, I looked up his robe to his face and tried to figure out why I was seeing this and if it was real. His face was just like the pictures, long brown hair and my eyes went to his lips. He said my name and then vanished. The wind stopped and I sat there freaked out, then turned my bike around and went back to this trailer by the river where we were at the time. I told my mother I saw Jesus. I have never questioned faith in God since, but feel that I was not meant to ride my bike that far alone and maybe he was turning me around. He had saved my life at least four or five times already at this point in my life, but this was the first and last time I ever saw anything like this.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM

63,420 posts, read 39,673,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why on earth would anyone expect God to do anything that would violate the very laws God has established????
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
To show 'he' is above and in control of the 'law'?
What 'he' established, 'he' can alter.
If that was not so, wouldn't 'he' be subject to the law of creation?
Exaclty why should He be above the very laws that establish and maintain His existence and our relationship to Him???

Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 PM

1,422 posts, read 945,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I've been really pondering about posting because spiritual experiences are something really private, because when you share them with others they loose a part of them.

I'll just say that Yes, I've experienced them, most go beyond senses, but I've been surprised to the point of shock sometimes with my physical and limited senses, sometimes in meditation, sometimes in everyday life, and sometimes in the state that is between sleep and awareness.

Sharing your experieunces can not really damage the experience you had. What could do the damage is that when you share them some respond with thinly vieled ridicule and if you are a sensitive personality you might feel hurt by such responce and decide it is better to keep things to your self.

This of course has the affect that too few people share their experiences with one another and become isolated from the mutual connection the sharing of the experiences is able to provide - therein is the actual 'damage done.

The remedy is to soldier on and share which of course requires a little less of the emotion or thinking to protect 'precious' from the world.

Spoiler
what the world thinks. Do it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
i believe seeing/hearing/feeling/smelling/tasting are evidence of a physical manifestation of god. ...........theres been a few times usually at random where i felt i was inserted entirely into a "collective consiousnes"....hard to explain i guess...and probably a delusion...but its really cool
Or perhaps a glimpse into something which exists but isn;t so easy to access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
What I'm reading are experiences that could have any number of explanations that are not supernatural in any way.

I always wonder why Christians only pray for things that have a chance of occurring without supernatural intervention. Why not pray for someone's house that burned down to reconstruct? Why not pray for a lost body part to regenerate? Why not pray for time to turn back?

I think we all know instinctively which things can and can't happen, and no one prays for things that can't.
You are mixing your subjects. This isn't specifically about praying. The bulk of the info being shared here is that spontaneous moment occur without any particular 'praying' going on and are specific to the individuals subjective reality which is precisely what make them interesting for the individual.
No one is claiming these things are supernatural but rather if anything are quite natural occurrences but not all that common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Then why doesn't God ever alter anything meaningful?

I find it amazing how people can claim that God literally got off his pearly throne to manifest here on earth to a specific person just to do some trivial thing.

Once people begin making claims of individual experiences involving God, we then merrily skip along into the idea that God plays favorites. Some people are more "worthy" than others and thus they get weekly visits from God while everyone else is still scratching their heads wondering if God even exists.

Sometimes I think people who make such claims need to explore their own ego before they look to the spiritual for the answers. If I ever received a "visit" from God, I'd probably end up dismissing it as a hallucination on the grounds that God would have no reason to single me out for some divine revelation, epiphany, etc. I would feel too arrogant and conceited to even think that the creator of the universe came to me in my bedroom ...

Then again, God does seem to take a particular interest in what goes on inside of bedrooms, so maybe my skepticism is off the mark.
Your overall understanding and idea of what god is, is likely where the problem is to be sourced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Or even some non-trivial thing ... most notably preventing someone from going to work at the WTC on 9/11/2001, which begs the question why he didn't prevent everyone from going to work that day, or prevent the hijacker's success, etc.
Quote:
Exaclty why should He be above the very laws that establish and maintain His existence and our relationship to Him???
These posts reminded me of
How Colonel Dr. Irina Spalko dies in that Indy movie who wanted to know everything - she got her wish.

I think the safer path there would have been for her to stipulate that she didn't want to know everything all at once....and keep an open mind...

Old 05-21-2015, 06:06 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,354,086 times
Yes. I believe I have.

One, I have over the course of my life arrived on a logical verification of God within the natural world. I have come to see the hand of God in the general process of nature. I grew up Christian, but over time found even pagan belief sets very nicely wove together evidence for my beliefs.

Two, I have a personal experience of physical manifestation, as you put it. Things which very definitely could not be proven by simple logic. Believe it or not, it was very simple things, like a girl I met saying a certain expression that I heard from a number of random people (in other words, it was like I was meeting the same girl with different faces), and a number of weird events like having a priest preach on a subject that my anime club had watched the same week. I originally assumed that it was some sort of conspiracy, but I realized this was actually in same ways even more impossible, because for it to be true to the level I noticed, everyone I met would have to be in on this (I could go to a random bar, talk to a random person, and they would be talking about something that was an indirect metaphor for something going on in my life). I began to see the face of God through these people, and realized they were teaching me something about myself.

Three, I began to notice that reality itself was strange. That certain things happened that based on how I had grown up, didn't seem to add up to how things should be, that the difference was a change in my actions and my outlook.

Quote:
What I'm reading are experiences that could have any number of explanations that are not supernatural in any way.

I always wonder why Christians only pray for things that have a chance of occurring without supernatural intervention. Why not pray for someone's house that burned down to reconstruct? Why not pray for a lost body part to regenerate? Why not pray for time to turn back?

I think we all know instinctively which things can and can't happen, and no one prays for things that can't.
Because God is natural. Praying for things that do not have normal probability of happening is to lose faith. While if one's simple probability works out, one might slowly ask for greater things. But generally, we do not ask for things that are currently in violation of the laws of physics. We might ask for humans to invent regeneration, and then to have that heal the body part. As for time to turn back, there is a very simple reason. How we know our prayers were answered? Time would ripple through our memories.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:27 PM

21,873 posts, read 19,028,526 times
Quote:
i look at this way, like a computer program
nature is a program that G-d wrote; humans are familiar with natural law and science
since G-d wrote the program, He can also write into it events that defy nature, such as "open miracles"

in prayer we can petition G-d for miracles
so G-d is both nature; and above nature

Old 05-22-2015, 04:21 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,052,677 times
Quote:

Just maybe that idea derives from the fact that these types of things are believed to have happened before (bible stories) Why not now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality