Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:13 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times

Advertisements

I'm not referring to the beauty of nature or a pretty sunset in the OP. I'm also excluding a feeling or emotional experience within your own mind. What I'm really asking is if anyone has experienced an event with their own senses in which they could see, hear or otherwise sense a physical activity that they could only attribute to God. This would include such things as hearing an audible voice or seeing something so out of the ordinary realm of everyday events that they are convinced it was a manifestation of God. Also, if someone has had this kind of experience is there any other possible explanation for it or do you believe you can exclude that possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,118,635 times
I have experienced the supernatural. For the most part thats all that I'd call it. Some of it should have terrorized me but I found the strength to fight it.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,968,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm not referring to the beauty of nature or a pretty sunset in the OP. I'm also excluding a feeling or emotional experience within your own mind. What I'm really asking is if anyone has experienced an event with their own senses in which they could see, hear or otherwise sense a physical activity that they could only attribute to God. This would include such things as hearing an audible voice or seeing something so out of the ordinary realm of everyday events that they are convinced it was a manifestation of God. Also, if someone has had this kind of experience is there any other possible explanation for it or do you believe you can exclude that possibility.
Over the years I have had a number of such experiecnes. I recall once how I was getting out of my truck, and as I did that I said, "Jesus, I love you." Then as I walked up to the plant were I worked, I saw this red ballon blowing wildly in the wind. As I approached the factory gate the ballon suddenly came right up to the gate and began to move very rapidly back and forth side ways. Suddenly, the ballon moved forward and came through an opening in the gate that I thought would of been impossible for it to do. It almost hit me in the face, but I caught the ballon in my hands. When I turned the ballon over, I read the words printed on the other side. "I LOVE YOU". I have seen a lot of this over the years, and it finally dawns on you that God is real. And He reaches out to those who seek Him.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:02 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
Quote:
Well, Montana, glad you asked. I'm just chock full of stories.

I attribute this experience to why I know in my heart that God definitely exists. Not what I have heard, been taught (correctly or incorrectly) read, or thought.

I've only shared this experience with one other human being, and that was years ago.

I was a very introverted and shy child, but very insightful and thoughtful. I would spend hours playing alone or just sitting looking out of my window. I was on my bed one day staring dreamily out of my window, as usual. I was only 7 years old, but I remember every detail about the experience, even what I was thinking.

I was sitting up but leaning back using my left arm as a prop behind me. I was staring out of my window in coastal NC, watching the birds and squirrels and wondering what I was going to be when I grew up. I wanted to be Barbie, of course.

Suddenly, I felt someone place their hand on mine and slowly pull it gently away. I remember feeling warm and safe. I turned around to see who it was, but no one was there. It gives me goose bumps even now.

It was at that moment that I believe God gave me my guardian angel. Sometimes I've wondered if he didn't give me a whole host of guardian angels, because of the things I have survived!!

This is a spiritual experience like none that I have ever had. I have felt the Holy Spirit move in me, and I have felt demons around me but it still pales in comparison...so far, anyway.

Anytime angels are mentioned, I smile. I know, absolutely and without a doubt, that angels are among us. They are the most loving beings we could ever imagine, besides God.

When I re-dedicated my life to Christ, I didn't immediately start reading the Bible. Instead, I read a book about Angels that Billy Graham wrote years ago. My Mother had given it to me probably 20 years ago and I never read it. I started with the spiritual experience that was closest to me, and the most credible spiritual person I knew. Angels and Billy Graham. My spiritual growth has been in leaps and bounds since then, not baby steps. God has truly worked a miracle that is me.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:53 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
Those are interesting posts. I have a good friend I've worked with for many years in Denver and she's told me some strange stories about incidents that seemed to be spiritual even though she's not all that religious and she's convinced that she has witnessed supernatural events such as objects that had been moved in her home even though no one had been in the room to move them. Personally I've never had any kind of experience that I would consider to be spiritual or supernatural but sometimes I wonder if religious people and non religious people just have such a different way of viewing the world that our thought processes function in a different manner. Maybe the fact that I'm completely convinced that there is no God makes me interpret things differently, I don't know. I do think that someone who is deeply religious is going to view their life experiences in terms of their faith but I have no doubt that those of you who have posted a response do believe that you've had a glimpse of something supernatural.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
I posted a while back about what I would describe as angel (supernatural) contact years ago when I was a child, and again when my daughter had cancer..I also now believe that both instances may have been due to a cold, hungry, desperate little girl, or in my daughters case, it could have been the desperation and the heartache of a mother fearing the loss of a child.. God has never appeared, talked or touched me..I think He desires my faith to believe he is near. That being said, everyday my faith that he is the creator and giver of life allows me to be in close contact with him.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:23 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
After going to bed very upset, over a situation I was facing, I woke up and saw "Ezekiel 11" written on my ceiling as clear as I now see this computer screen. I would have thought it was in my mind but I didn't know if Ezekiel had 11 chapters at the time. After reading it I felt compelled to share it with the people causing my distress. The problem was resolved in a way that I would have never imagined.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 PM

188 posts, read 506,552 times
Years ago, my ex (at the time, was my 'current') boyfriend and I were sitting in the livingroom talking casually, when he nonchalantly brought up the topic of God. He had been an Athiest (an angry, bitter Athiest.) Strangely, he directly asked me about the Holy Spirit and he wanted me to tell him what exactly it was. He seemed as though he might be starting to believe in God after all. His question was, "so....what exactly IS the Holy Spirit?" I was thrilled for him to come forth and ask such a question, but I stayed calm, and while rocking slowly in my chair, I said something along the lines of.......

".....Well... the Holy Spirit is basically the Spirit of God that can come upon a person to make them feel things, understand things, realize things, things like that. It's the manifestation of God Himself to humans. It's like the power of God and it gives you comfort, wisdom and it's a teacher. The Holy Spirit can talk to you in your thoughts, by giving you a conscience and making you realize something you are doing wrong that isn't good. It makes you think of God, and it calls upon you when you may not even expect it......... and it reveals things to you...."

Suddenly, while I was talking, trying to spit the words out and make him of all people, a devout Athiest, understand what the Holy Spirit was, something happened..................

Over on the stereo speaker, there was a candle we had dimly burning, one of those 3" pillar candles.....

The flame of the candle immediately interrupted my talking and shot up perfectly straight about 12 inches tall (no exagerration). It stayed there... so unbelievable that we both immediately looked at it. It was striking and tall and it remained at a steady flame, barely moving at all........

He stared at it in shock with his eyes wide open, and said very slowly while watching the candle, ........ "Oh My God....Is...that....it?"

I too stared in amazement as the quiet was strangely calming and safe feeling.... and I said to him, "....well.....what do you feel right now??" (while still staring at the candle flame standing proud on it's own)......... and he said..... "calm. I feel calm. I have goosebumps.... Is that it?...." and I said, "Yes, I think that just may be the Holy Spirit. Maybe it's trying to tell you something.." After that, we both remained silent and watched it. I felt exhillerated and yet so at peace, as if the job was finally done, without any further words. The flame stayed up for about the count of 2 minutes from beginning to end. Finally, I believe it was me who said something like, "This is unbelievable, it feels so calm, doesn't it?" and the flame slowly lowered itself back to it's normal size.

From that day forward, he was no longer an Athiest. He even encouranged me spiritually on occasions. He still, to this day, believes greatly in God. I gave him a Bible for his birthday, and I believe he still has it. Neither him nor I will ever forget that day...

Last edited by REFORMED; 07-12-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 AM

3 posts, read 16,449 times
Lightbulb the real truth

What if I was to tell you that God walks this earth every day and we do not notice him. Would that be far out there? why, did he not walk through the garden of Eden and called out to Adam. God would meet you, but you will not remember what he look's like. See God admires his work in nature as well as in man, but we choose not to acknowledge him in the fullist. He is a man like us, but not like us. He is not held by time or space and is pure. that is the knowledge that Jesus tried to give to man. To give us back our divinity that we long lost since the time of Adam, so we may be able to walk with our Father and don't have to die in order to do it. For those that say this is not true, then say a prayer in God's name with all your heart and read the Bible again. And seek shelter from the acursed satan. And watch how it will reveal it's self to you. A lot of times we get so involved with religion that we close our mind to truth and put all of our trust and faith in religious leaders that don't have our best interest at heart. Once we clear our minds and open our hearts and search our souls the truth will reveal itself to us. We are beings with a soul that knows right from wrong and when we stop being worried about politics, fashion, looks,and money we will be able to see more of God's blessings manifest. All religions are a form of control made up by the goverments of the lands in which the religion started. If all the religions are true as they say, then why do they kill in the name of God and judge others based on there religious belief. We all suppose to love, honor, respect and pray to the same God, the one true God who we were made in the image of formed and fashioned with spirit and soul, knowledge and understanding and the power to elevate ourselves to the level of perfection. Stop letting people tell you that no body is perfect , because as long as we continue to hear that we will start to believe it. Take back the power of your life in the way God intended and not the way man intend. Do kind things for people without looking for anything back in return. And please stop judging people by the color of their skin or where their from or the way they talk or dress or how much money they may or may not have. Show love in all levels of life and I promise,that with meditation, fasting, and body cleansing inside and out will give your spirit and soul power to elevate to perfection to walk literally with our Father God.

Last edited by SEEKING WISDOM; 07-13-2008 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: More to add.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:46 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Also, if someone has had this kind of experience is there any other possible explanation for it or do you believe you can exclude that possibility.
Yes I have experienced such things and no there is no other possible explanation.

Oh and by the way when these things happened i was utterly convinced there was no such thing as god or anything else "out there" at all. Such experiences as those I had are what led me to my current spiritual path. I don't take anyone's word for anything. And I don't take anything on faith. I am a practical person. But I can not deny my own personal experience, that is really the most powerful and convincing body of evidence for me, the ONLY evidence to me that is meaningful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality