Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times

Advertisements

Not looking to get bashed for my beliefs right now... just some help from other Catholics... if you have a heart, please read my reasons for asking prior to giving me advice about my belief in help from Saints...

My husband's cousin is very sick. She was diagnosed with uterine cancer and it is now spreading into the lymph nodes and other areas. She was turned away yesterday from a hospital who said they would operate and perform radiation... She is coming home to have surgery here as that is her only option and not the one she wanted. The survival rate is not very good in this case. I know that St. Peregrine is the Patron Saint of Cancer, but I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a Patron Saint of Women's Cancer, Uterine Cancer... or any other Saints? Also, any prayers?

Again, this is my faith, and I am not looking at this time to have anyone who does not agree with me ranting or telling me I shouldn't be asking these Saints to help us with our prayers... Please, I am asking you be respectful and grant me the right to look for help without being harassed for my faith at this time... thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 AM

650 posts, read 1,206,662 times
Oh no.

My very very first thought was Mary of course, and rosary rosary rosary!

Saint Anne as well, because she's patron of mothers, which seems to have a connection.

Saint Jude, for desperate causes.

Does her nationality mean a lot to her? If she's Irish for instance, Saint Colmcille or Brigid or Patrick have all brought miracles for us; or if she's Italian, Padre Pio? Or if she's very young, Saint Therese of Lisieux, who died so young.

I agree with you about saints -- there's such a comfort in their company! We have cancer in our family too; I'll be adding my prayers to yours.

Good luck and God bless--
Lily

Old 06-29-2008, 08:43 AM

650 posts, read 1,206,662 times
Forgot one...isn't Saint Damian a patron saint of surgeons? Might be helpful to ask for some guidance for her surgeon, while you're waiting through those crucial hours while she's in the OR.

Who knows what God has planned for us all, but prayer is always such a comfort.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 AM

I am Irish... so they are the first I think of personally... but no... however hs is born on St Patty's Day... perhaps St. Pat for that reason...

SHE is Italian but that is important to her...

Thank you for your help...and adding her to your prayers... I really appreciate it...

Last edited by skbs; 06-29-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 AM

The prayer of St Patrick is actually a very nice one in this case... I just emailed it to her... but I would love any other suggestions...

[SIZE=+3]Prayer of Saint Patrick

[/SIZE][SIZE=+2]Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.

Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, and in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.[/SIZE]

Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,660 times
I am not Catholic, but we Episcopalians have a good working knowledge of saints too. Try St. Fiacre, the patron saint of gardens, of all things lowly, against tumors. An Irish monk he was said to be able to cure tumors. How about San Antonio de Padua? He is the patron of lost things, surely your cousin's lost health would quailfy.

Did a quick search and found these as well. Saint Bernadette is the patron against bodily ills, St. Camillus de Lellis is the patron of hospitals, nurses, and the sick. St. Peregrine Laziosi is the patron of cancer victims.

Hope your cousin finds some relief from her illness. This must be very hard on the entire family. I wish you all well.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 PM

396 posts, read 837,707 times
Saint Therese of Lisieux - Even if she's not young.
St. Luke - For the doctors taking care of her (doesn't hurt to get both sides of the equation)
St. Michael - He gets overlooked sometimes...but since they do call it "battling cancer"...
Um...that's about all I cant think of at the moment.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,485,152 times
she probably has a patron saint that she personnaly alway turned to--i would start there.
also the blessed mother and st Jude for desperate causes

God will take care of all of you--no matter what. just have faith. when its time to go--no one can stop it. it's what your faith is after everything that matters most.

as HE said--do NOT despair. just let go and HE leave all your worries to HIM

Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,165 times
Default Non-Catholics think we pray to the Saint's ......

My dear friend my heart goes out to you and your family. As a cancer survivor, cervical and breast I ask all the saint's to intervene on my behalf. It is always hard to understand the plans our Lord has when things like this hit a family, just keep your eyes on the cross and remember what Christ went through for us. Believe me it does make the pain a little easier to bare. I will pry for you and her. As for a pray mine always was and still is, as I suffer with a chronic illness myself[

"Father in heaven help me to accept the crosses you have chosen for me to bare today, keep me always close to your heart. Lord grant me the strength to go on thru this life until it is my time to move on to your home." [/FONT

Many non-Catholics think we pray to the Saint's to get them to give us our request if they only could believe we pray to the Saint's, Mary and our pasted relatives to intervene on our behalf to the Lord! When we ask for help isn't it better to ask someone who has "greater" advantages than we do? If you are looking to be hired by a company, you ask friends and relatives who work for this company to "put in a good word for you." Well that is exactly what we as Catholics do when we pray to the Saint and Our Holy Mother. They are right there with the Lord the can nag for us and if enough of them keep asking then the Lord may grant the request just to shut them up!"

Not looking to get bashed for my beliefs right now... just some help from other Catholics... if you have a heart, please read my reasons for asking prior to giving me advice about my belief in help from Saints...

My husband's cousin is very sick. She was diagnosed with uterine cancer and it is now spreading into the lymph nodes and other areas. She was turned away yesterday from a hospital who said they would operate and perform radiation... She is coming home to have surgery here as that is her only option and not the one she wanted. The survival rate is not very good in this case. I know that St. Peregrine is the Patron Saint of Cancer, but I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a Patron Saint of Women's Cancer, Uterine Cancer... or any other Saints? Also, any prayers?

Again, this is my faith, and I am not looking at this time to have anyone who does not agree with me ranting or telling me I shouldn't be asking these Saints to help us with our prayers... Please, I am asking you be respectful and grant me the right to look for help without being harassed for my faith at this time... thank you.[/quote]

Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
As a fellow Catholic, whatever Saint you identify with and with whom you wish to join in prayer, it is the communion of all saints that worship and glorify our savior Jesus Christ.
It is with Him, through Him, and in Him that all thing are possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality