U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 AM

553 posts, read 509,800 times

Advertisements

How is this passage explained?

Quote:
So the LORD was with Judah. And they drove out the mountaineers, but they could not drive out the inhabitants of the lowland, because they had chariots of iron.
- Judges 1:19

Now this is stated in the chapter after a series of successful victories by the tribe of Judah (under Caleb) during the conquest of Canaan. Did an editor miss this? Does it not show the inferiority of the Judaite army in the face superior technology by an enemy, one that not even their god could defeat?

You can sometimes see an intent purpose by biblical writers/editors in the earlier parts of the Old Testament to show that despite Israel's relatively small size and small armies [with their god], they were always able to defeat stronger and larger armies. Here we see something clearly out of the usual AND this was not one of those moments where we are told Israel either met defeat or had trouble attaining victory because of their sins as the biblical writers were always apt to point out. We are told that the enemy could not be defeated simply because they had chariots NOT because of any sins.

Your thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 PM

No one has a "revealed" truth to this?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:31 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,115,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
No one has a "revealed" truth to this?
Of course someone does. God is in heaven. He could see what the enemy had up on the hills, but not what was way down in those valleys.

Look dude, here's the deal. To this particular writer:
"The Lord was with us" = "We kicked butt".
"The Lord was not with us" = "We got our butts kicked".

and...

"The Lord was with us at first, then we saw the big iron chariots" =
"We thought we were kicking butt, but then we realized we were not kicking butt"

You enjoy picking on the literalists and 'infallibility of the bible' believers don't you?
Cuz you used to be one!

Jesus still loves ya' though!

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
You enjoy picking on the literalists and 'infallibility of the bible' believers don't you?
Cuz you used to be one!
To be honest yydanay, I picked up a few bad habits too when I was 'among them'. I would like to say my revealtion of God's 'big picture' plan I had at the beginning (ie: before 'church') protected me from all of the absurd teachings - like the infallibility of scripture and the 'bible code' farce and all that, but it didn't.

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-16-2008, 10:44 PM

61,293 posts, read 81,534,411 times
per your post
always is a big word covers a lot of ground. the jews whuped em and they got whuped. in the long run they did alright. just like us. they were not magicians just people. they had a lot of victories. it seemed at times they were finished but somehow they made it. they prayed a lot and asked god to help them but it was not like an auto teller. don't work that way does it? a lot like us no?
my own life looks kind of like the bible stories, that's why i like it.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM

You guys completely lost me. Firstborn are you saying that I should not take the story literally?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
You guys completely lost me. Firstborn are you saying that I should not take the story literally?
I'm saying you should not take phrase "and the Lord was with Judah" literally in this case because, as you pointed out - the primitive horse drawn tanks would not have made a difference if "the Lord was with Judah".

It seems that Huckleberry agrees with this assessment.

So what's your point yydanay? Was it not to show that the bible is in error in that passage?

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-18-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I'm saying you should not take phrase "and the Lord was with Judah" literally in this case because, as you pointed out - the primitive horse drawn tanks would not have made a difference if "the Lord was with Judah".

It seems that Huckleberry agrees with this assessment.

So what's your point yydanay? Was it not to show that the bible is in error in that passage?

blessings,
- Byron
Error??? No. Accurate is more like it.

So how should I interpret it if not literal?

Old 07-19-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Error??? No. Accurate is more like it.

So how should I interpret it if not literal?

Now you lost me. My first post is how I interpret it, and that interpretation is offered up for your consideration, that God was not literally with them and that in this case it was a figure of speech.

What do you see in the passage?

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 AM

8,567 posts, read 15,472,750 times
Originally Posted by yydanay515
Quote:
How is this passage explained?
Quote:
So the LORD was with Judah. And they drove out the mountaineers, but they could not drive out the inhabitants of the lowland , because they had chariots of iron.
- Judges 1:19
Christianity as a concept had everything against it;
- For openers its leader was dead.
- Compared to the Romans the Christians were pathetically outnumbered.
- They had no army, nominal leadership were badly organised and poor tacticians.
But the Christians had 1 thing their Roman antagonists had lost; a God they believed in.
And that simple, singular power –faith- proved stronger than all of Caesar’s mighty army and general.
The most awesome, implacable city in the history of mankind – to which all roads on earth lead to- eventually crumbled and vanished from the earth.
Yet Christianity is still here [ although so does evil].

I would submit there are a few lessons to be learned here.
- 1. Even the strongest army has its Achilles heel.
- 2. A small faction has tremendous potential if properly focused.
- 3. The stoutest chain – even that of the Roman Republic- is only as strong as its weakest link.

Christianity in the glory days of the Roman Republic could be summed up in 1 word: solidarity; about union, about brotherhood, about an army of 1.
Too bad fascism prospers under the same principles.
So the saying that a follower of Jesus shall only be known by his fruit is the simple truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality