U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,822,223 times

Advertisements

This question is for everybody, and all points of view are appreciated.

what is intuition for you?

For me it is the sense beyond the limited senses, when fully developed it's unerring, and it is the only of our senses capable of perceiving spiritual things or God himself.

Meditation is a practice that will help intuition develop because you learn to turn off your 5 senses and depend on your 6th only.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,527,981 times
Sort of a sixth sense, Trevelling? I agree with this...and some people have developed that sense more than others. Some deny it exists. I have had times when I "sensed" or "felt" something that did, in fact happen...usually small things...but years ago when the Challenger exploded and killed all those astronauts, I was with my mother that morning and I suddenly told her "I sure wouldn't want to be on the Challenger, because I think it's going to explode". Five minutes later it came over the radio that the Challenger had, in fact, exploded. Intuition? Sixth Sense? Prophecy...or simple coincidence?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 AM

3,798 posts, read 6,375,963 times
To me intuition is a form of God speaking through you. When plans flow and come together that's when you know a thought was from God. When you try to force a thought it may be your own determination rather than Divine Guidance that you are listening to. I've known many including myself that seem to get "caught up" in their own thoughts and think they are doing what God want's them to do. Intuition takes much meditation and the ability to step out of your thoughts and into a stillness. So I agree with you Trav.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 PM

8,567 posts, read 15,288,219 times
Intuition is being able to trust your own experiences above all else.
To know yourself is to be intuitive; where knowing automatically becomes action.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:51 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,942,144 times
Intuition is the process of responding to something with your entire arsenal of experiences, thoughts, opinions, and memories. Sometimes we react so quickly that it seems to us that the reaction was automatic and maybe even otherworldy. I think we call it intuition because we are rapidly digging into our minds for information that we don't even remember is there - but it is.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,490,421 times
I'd have to agree with b.frank on this one, after you've been around the block a few times and experienced a great variety of situations you start to develop a feel for what is likely to happen. I'm sure that someone who does something potentially dangerous like a police officer, firefighter or soldier develops an even stronger sense of intuition because even the slightest sense that something doesn't feel quite right could save your life. I'm sure that a police officer or detective is very observant of body language and personal demeanor whenever they're interacting with someone and after years of experience they could get a pretty good read on what a potential suspect is thinking just by how they're behaving. Intuition is just the benefit of having a lifetime of experiences and the knowledge that has been gained from them.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 PM

8,729 posts, read 12,589,332 times
Spidey-sense!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 PM

428 posts, read 1,549,387 times
I agree that intuition is derived from a great deal of experience with something. (Read Gladwell's "Blink".) In a "zen" sort of sense, when you've had enough experience with something you become "one" with it, and you may be able to able to fathom so much more than the inexperienced person, it seems uncanny. I have often felt an almost psychic connection with my son, but it's because I know him so well.

(I would say the space shuttle prediction was coincidence. On a much smaller scale, having spotted maybe one black widow spider in my entire life, I once said "Hmm, wonder if there's a black widow under this rock," turned over the rock, and sure enough...)--Say, maybe that was spidey-sense?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,693,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
I agree that intuition is derived from a great deal of experience with something. (Read Gladwell's "Blink".) In a "zen" sort of sense, when you've had enough experience with something you become "one" with it, and you may be able to able to fathom so much more than the inexperienced person, it seems uncanny. I have often felt an almost psychic connection with my son, but it's because I know him so well.

(I would say the space shuttle prediction was coincidence. On a much smaller scale, having spotted maybe one black widow spider in my entire life, I once said "Hmm, wonder if there's a black widow under this rock," turned over the rock, and sure enough...)--Say, maybe that was spidey-sense?
Blink was a good book and explained a lot of it. When someone gave it to me to read I was thinking it was going to be one of those "new age" hocus pocus spiritual things but it actually turned out to be quite thoughtful and very explanatory and most of it dealt precisely with intuition.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM

61,305 posts, read 79,890,802 times
impulse to do something contrary to the evidence. works great some of the time. when we consistently do it its often called diffusion. bek something worked great once against all odds we continue to ignore all facts in every new situation and go with our guts. often then this leads to disaster. story of alexander the great and his fall. smart people doing crazy things. intuition supported with evidence works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality