U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 PM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,798,294 times
Reputation: 1435

Advertisements

What are the basic principles of Hinduism ?

The basic principles of Hinduism are in the Upanishads They have been collected, organized and explained in various other texts, but the root source are the Upanisads. Hinduism has three basic principles.
  1. It is God who has become this Universe and everything in it.
    Whatever is seen, dreamed or imagined are nothing but manifestations of God. God is beyond space, time, causation and all distinctions like gender, race, species, living/non-living and form/formless. Since He is beyond space, He is omnipresent. Since He is beyond time, He is eternal. Since He is beyond the concept of form, He is with form, without form, both and neither. Every form is His and yet He is formless and beyond the concept of form. Similarly with all attributes concievable by the mind.
  2. The aim of life is to 'know' God.
    God cannot be 'known' in the usual sense of the word. God is the Knower of everything. We call it 'realizing' God. This is beyond the mind. It is a direct experience of God. This is the ultimate goal of life. Till we reach this goal, we will have to live again and again. Till we reach this goal, we have to undergo birth, death and again birth and so on. Everytime we are born, we continue our journey towards the goal from where we left. So nothing is lost by death on this journey. When the goal is reached, there is no need for anymore death or birth. The person is said to have attained Immortality. Actually the person goes beyond all limitations. Even the basic limitations imposed by the concept of individuality and personality vanish.
    There are intermediate milestones and targets set by Hinduism. They are Dharma - righteousness, Artha - wealth acquired by righteous means and Kama - quenching of desires within the limits of Dharma and Artha. As there is a scope for lot of misconception about these intermediate targets, there are several texts explaining them. These are intermediate targets and not ends. The ultimate aim is Moksha - freedom from limitations by God realization. Dharma, Artha and Kama should be stepping stones and thus means to the end, which is Moksha. But this does not mean that Artha and Kama are forbidden by Hinduism. According to Hinduism, if people pursue and enjoy Artha and Kama within the boundaries of Dharma, they will naturally develop the maturity to enquire and aspire after Moksha in due course of time.
  3. As many people, so many ways to God.
    Every religion is a way to God. No way to God is superior to the other. However, depending on the mental temperament and cultural background of a person, one way might be better suited to him than another. This is difference arises due to the difference in the temperament of the person and cannot be used to judge the general efficacy of a path. "All paths are true. Your path for you. My path for me." This is the principle of Hinduism.
Everything else is secondary and should not violate these three basic principles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Egypt
125 posts, read 270,392 times
Reputation: 24
Thanks for describing your religion, and thanks for the formal reputation to me.

May i ask, then you worship only One God, who is beyond our sight cause he is bigger than universe cause he created all things and creatures?

If so, then you're worshipping the same God as Islam.

Do you believe in heaven and hell?, you said that ultimate Goal is to have unity with God after having many lives and deaths, what do you mean by unity with God.

In Islam we believe that only one life is sufficient and that in hereafter the person is placed in his degree in paradise, he will not unit with God, but he will enjoy His blessings and enjoy looking at Him frequently (not like the earth looking of course, it's another dimension) which will be the ultimate pleasure as His salve and creature.

How do you relate to this?

And another question, do you think cows and other animals as holy, and what does this mean, another Hindu before said that you do not worship cows, then do you only respect them?

Peace
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,798,294 times
Reputation: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmoud mrt View Post
Thanks for describing your religion, and thanks for the formal reputation to me.
Anytime my friend, I'm glad you liked the post

Quote:
May i ask, then you worship only One God, who is beyond our sight cause he is bigger than universe cause he created all things and creatures?

If so, then you're worshipping the same God as Islam.
Yes that is the God that I worship, and I know that I'm worshipping the same god as Islam.

Hinduism accepts that all religions talk about the one God. It does not have concepts like the god of the Egyptians and the god of the Jews, which basically implies that there are many gods. Hinduism says that the god of the Hindus, Egyptians, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Zorastrians, Aztecs, Mayans, Maoris, etc are all the same God. Hinduism says that all are worshipping the same God in different ways. Again, one way is not better than the other way. All ways to worship God are accepted by God if performed with faith and devotion.

Quote:
Do you believe in heaven and hell?, you said that ultimate Goal is to have unity with God after having many lives and deaths, what do you mean by unity with God.
Hinduism believes in the law of cause and effect applied to all spheres of phenomenal existence. Since different people are born to different people in different environments (which is an observed effect), a previous cause has to be assumed. The only logical explanation possible is a previous life very similar to this. And by the same argument, since different people are involved in different thoughts and activities till death, the effects of these must occur in an after-life very similar to this. Hinduism says that everyone is responsible for his life. There are no extraneous causes for one's condition in life. If a person is facing hardship in life it has to be due to his earlier thoughts and actions in this or previous life.

In Hinduism we believe that:
  1. The world is only a creation of the mind.
  2. And so is the individuality.
  3. Brahman alone is real, which appears as all these.
We aren't able to perceive Brahman because of limitation. How does this arise? We say Brahman is aware of itself. This creates a duality in the Whole. We cannot say why this arises. This limitation aspect of Brahman is called Maya. Brahman does not change. As Brahman has only existence as its attribute, the only way it can change is to become non-existent, which contradicts itself. So Brahman cannot change. So what is that which changes ? Nothing. So we say that the change is only an appearance. Once we assume that duality has arisen, then we have to see how the two parts interact. One part takes the role of the perciever and the other part takes the role of the percieved. Just as a person creates worlds when he day-dreams, the world with all its diversity is created. The mind arises as a means to percieve. "Brahman sees itself as the world." says Yoga Vasishta. A concept of "I am so and so." arises and we get entangled in what is percieved and forget the true nature.

With this background, what is the nature of the world ? It is only in the mind of the perciever. Who is the perciever ? "I" is the perciever. It is just like a dream. Dream starts abruptly and ends abruptly. A world is created in a moment where you are the daughter of so and so, born in some city, aged a number of years, with a few faculties and skills, etc. You do something in the dream and suddenly the dream ends abruptly, the dream world vanishes and another dream starts. This world is similar. It comes into perception suddenly, occupies the mind for a while and goes out of perception as suddenly as it came. Birth, death, etc are all mere concepts. As every dream world has its own timescale, every world has its own timescale. Just as one cannot say how long a dream will be in the mind, no one can say how long this world be in the mind. Just as you do not remember the incidents in one dream in another, you do not remember the details of one world in another. The appearance of a world in the mind is called birth and the disappearance of a world is called death. Karma (fruits of thought, word and deed) and Samskara (tendencies formed) are carried across. If you wish that you want to become a doctor, it will create a Karma and to satisfy it, a world will appear in your mind where you are a doctor. This happens just as a person who strongly desires to become a doctor gets dreams in which he is a doctor.

There is no difference between the waking state and the dream state. You see one world when you are awake. You "dream" into another world. Then you "wake up" into another world. It is pre-filled memory which makes you feel a continuity. Waking, sleeping, dreaming, etc are all concepts in the mind. The "present" is the most real of all these conceptual worlds. Why are the worlds created ? Because of Karma and Samskara. It is desire which creates these worlds. If a person is desireless, then there is no reason why the worlds should appear. There is no birth and no death. This is the state of Nirvikalpa Samaadhi.

Even before that, when a person fully understands this and is fully convinced, he sees the Brahman underlying this world. He is able to see through the names, forms and limitation and is able to see the Reality. Though the mind and the world have not vanished altogether, the person has seen the Truth. This brings about a profound change in the attitude of the person. Slowly desires die a natural death. There comes a time when they have totally died off and the world vanishes for the last time. He reaches the state of Nirvikalpa Samaadhi. What happens after that cannot be described.

Quote:
In Islam we believe that only one life is sufficient and that in hereafter the person is placed in his degree in paradise, he will not unit with God, but he will enjoy His blessings and enjoy looking at Him frequently (not like the earth looking of course, it's another dimension) which will be the ultimate pleasure as His salve and creature.

How do you relate to this?
Hinduism is very broad and flexible is a sort of meta-religion. It encompasses the basic principles of religion. It helps you to fix your religious goal, choose any religion of your choice and encourages you to follow the religion with all sincerity. Understand the aim of religion. Weigh the pros and cons of various ways of worship available in world. Choose one of your liking and follow it with full zeal. In all probability, you are already worshipping God in your favorite way. Hinduism helps you to follow you religion more knowingly, with a clearer understanding of the goal and with more zeal.

This said, there are different beliefs of what is unity with God among different schools, which are.

SAALOKYA To enter Vaikunthá (the world of Vísnu or God)
SAAMIIPYA To be near the Lord
SAARUUPYA To have the Lord's form
SAAYUJYA To be united with the Lord

I go for the idea of total union with the lord, meaning that once the I am consciousness is vanished our true nature as the ever existing brahman arises.

Quote:
And another question, do you think cows and other animals as holy, and what does this mean, another Hindu before said that you do not worship cows, then do you only respect them?
This is true, Hindus consider all forms of life as sacred, because they are expression of the living God just like us, one of the principles of Hinduism is non-violence in thought, deed or word, this is the reason why cows, goats, swine, fish, fowl, etc are respected and most Hindus follow a vegetarian diet.

Quote:
Peace
Peace to you too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 01:20 PM
 
1 posts, read 8,107 times
Reputation: 10
The word Islam means submission.
Who ever goes back to his original home which is the heart, and when he does not wish to come back has achieved this point of submission.
First thing in human body is created is the heart, and from heart then entire system gets formed.
To reach this point looks very simple but when you sit to practice it will take forty to fifty years of practice.
When you are there you are connected to the entire existence and then and then you will understand Hinduism, Budhaism, Cristianism, Islam or any religion who speaks about God.
If we regard the existence as an ocean and human being as a drop of ocean, till this drop does not connected to the ocean will not know what the ocean is.
When the drop connects to the ocean then has all the information of ocean and knows each and every corner of the ocean. So human beings in other word we can call God. But see the difference between a drop and the ocean it is same formula but entire different. These are the principal teachings of Islamic Sufism.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 07:18 PM
 
Location: S. Wales.
48,618 posts, read 14,583,580 times
Reputation: 5742
Good posts, both of you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,571 posts, read 20,546,255 times
Reputation: 20991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Till we reach this goal, we will have to live again and again. Till we reach this goal, we have to undergo birth, death and again birth and so on. Everytime we are born, we continue our journey towards the goal from where we left..
Question: Is God identified as the responsible force which is behind the reincarnation cycles? As in:
A) The physical operations are the product of the god's actions/desires. i.e, it is the god doing the actual physical engineering?
B) The determinations of what you will return as, and how frequently, are the product of that god's judgements on your previous life/lives?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2015, 02:53 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,610 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What are the basic principles of Hinduism ?

The basic principles of Hinduism are in the Upanishads They have been collected, organized and explained in various other texts, but the root source are the Upanisads. Hinduism has three basic principles.
  1. It is God who has become this Universe and everything in it.
    Whatever is seen, dreamed or imagined are nothing but manifestations of God. God is beyond space, time, causation and all distinctions like gender, race, species, living/non-living and form/formless. Since He is beyond space, He is omnipresent. Since He is beyond time, He is eternal. Since He is beyond the concept of form, He is with form, without form, both and neither. Every form is His and yet He is formless and beyond the concept of form. Similarly with all attributes concievable by the mind.
  2. The aim of life is to 'know' God.
    God cannot be 'known' in the usual sense of the word. God is the Knower of everything. We call it 'realizing' God. This is beyond the mind. It is a direct experience of God. This is the ultimate goal of life. Till we reach this goal, we will have to live again and again. Till we reach this goal, we have to undergo birth, death and again birth and so on. Everytime we are born, we continue our journey towards the goal from where we left. So nothing is lost by death on this journey. When the goal is reached, there is no need for anymore death or birth. The person is said to have attained Immortality. Actually the person goes beyond all limitations. Even the basic limitations imposed by the concept of individuality and personality vanish.
    There are intermediate milestones and targets set by Hinduism. They are Dharma - righteousness, Artha - wealth acquired by righteous means and Kama - quenching of desires within the limits of Dharma and Artha. As there is a scope for lot of misconception about these intermediate targets, there are several texts explaining them. These are intermediate targets and not ends. The ultimate aim is Moksha - freedom from limitations by God realization. Dharma, Artha and Kama should be stepping stones and thus means to the end, which is Moksha. But this does not mean that Artha and Kama are forbidden by Hinduism. According to Hinduism, if people pursue and enjoy Artha and Kama within the boundaries of Dharma, they will naturally develop the maturity to enquire and aspire after Moksha in due course of time.
  3. As many people, so many ways to God.
    Every religion is a way to God. No way to God is superior to the other. However, depending on the mental temperament and cultural background of a person, one way might be better suited to him than another. This is difference arises due to the difference in the temperament of the person and cannot be used to judge the general efficacy of a path. "All paths are true. Your path for you. My path for me." This is the principle of Hinduism.
Everything else is secondary and should not violate these three basic principles.
Your article is very informative and it is so nice to read about a different religion for a change! Religions with their basis in Indian thought are more meaningful and very easy to follow. There is no such thing as an 'angry god waiting to punish one somewhere' or 'pleasures of heavens and fires of hell' or some other far fetched concepts one finds in other religions. Thank you for educating us on hinduism.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2015, 09:39 PM
 
Location: US
31,560 posts, read 17,268,522 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What are the basic principles of Hinduism ?


The basic principles of Hinduism are in the Upanishads They have been collected, organized and explained in various other texts, but the root source are the Upanisads. Hinduism has three basic principles.
  1. It is God who has become this Universe and everything in it.
    Whatever is seen, dreamed or imagined are nothing but manifestations of God. God is beyond space, time, causation and all distinctions like gender, race, species, living/non-living and form/formless. Since He is beyond space, He is omnipresent. Since He is beyond time, He is eternal. Since He is beyond the concept of form, He is with form, without form, both and neither. Every form is His and yet He is formless and beyond the concept of form. Similarly with all attributes concievable by the mind.
  2. The aim of life is to 'know' God.
    God cannot be 'known' in the usual sense of the word. God is the Knower of everything. We call it 'realizing' God. This is beyond the mind. It is a direct experience of God. This is the ultimate goal of life. Till we reach this goal, we will have to live again and again. Till we reach this goal, we have to undergo birth, death and again birth and so on. Everytime we are born, we continue our journey towards the goal from where we left. So nothing is lost by death on this journey. When the goal is reached, there is no need for anymore death or birth. The person is said to have attained Immortality. Actually the person goes beyond all limitations. Even the basic limitations imposed by the concept of individuality and personality vanish.
    There are intermediate milestones and targets set by Hinduism. They are Dharma - righteousness, Artha - wealth acquired by righteous means and Kama - quenching of desires within the limits of Dharma and Artha. As there is a scope for lot of misconception about these intermediate targets, there are several texts explaining them. These are intermediate targets and not ends. The ultimate aim is Moksha - freedom from limitations by God realization. Dharma, Artha and Kama should be stepping stones and thus means to the end, which is Moksha. But this does not mean that Artha and Kama are forbidden by Hinduism. According to Hinduism, if people pursue and enjoy Artha and Kama within the boundaries of Dharma, they will naturally develop the maturity to enquire and aspire after Moksha in due course of time.
  3. As many people, so many ways to God.
    Every religion is a way to God. No way to God is superior to the other. However, depending on the mental temperament and cultural background of a person, one way might be better suited to him than another. This is difference arises due to the difference in the temperament of the person and cannot be used to judge the general efficacy of a path. "All paths are true. Your path for you. My path for me." This is the principle of Hinduism.
Everything else is secondary and should not violate these three basic principles.
Travel much?...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top