U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 01:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,624,943 times

Advertisements

The Spirit of Jesus versus the Cultic Spirit

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1

Introduction

There was something about the Spirit of Jesus that brought him into conflict and irreconcilable conflict with Judaism. That we recognize, but what I'm going to suggest is that there is something also about the Spirit of Jesus that is antithetical to the Christian religion.

The Jewish - and the Christian Cult Jesus was born into a religious cult and was a member of that religious cult. I use the word "cult" in the proper and the technical sense of the word, as used by sociologists or historians and others. The members of the religious cult into which Jesus was born were clearly defined and demarcated from the rest of humanity by the practice of "Torah Piety": piety according to the Law. The three most prominent things which marked off the Jew from the rest of humanity were circumcision, Sabbath keeping, and kosher food. And these things alone—let alone all the other laws made it impossible for Jews to socialize with gentiles. Institutionally and legally, those inside the cult were clearly distinguished from those outside the cult.

We also need to recognize that the followers of Jesus became the Christian "cult." I don’t use the word in a pejorative way, but that is the simple fact of the matter:
Christianity became the Christian cult. Institutionalized... and its members became clearly marked, clearly demarcated legally, behaviorally, religiously—from the rest of humanity. That constitutes a cult.

Now it is true that Christianity has become divided; divided into a number of Christian cults: The Catholic cult. Or the Lutheran cult. The Baptist cult. The Candle Light cult. The Amish cult. Now it’s true that we don’t generally apply the word cult to ourselves. It’s something we like to reserve for others.

And especially in evangelical circles... we have books such as The Chaos of the Cults. Or the Kingdom of the Cults—which is a critique of fringe movements or non-Christian religions like Hare Krishna and others. Now, they certainly are cults. But when we write or read books like that, we ought to also recognize that we, too, are members of the Christian cult and various branches of the Christian cult.

Now in the case of Jesus, we look at this cult, this religious cult into which he was born, where the people inside were very, very specifically labeled. They practiced Torah Piety. And those who did not, or were not careful to observe the Law, they were called "sinners."

They were:
The Galileans, whose cavalier attitude toward the Law was notorious. Then there were the prostitutes. They were out-and-out sinners... But in those days, further out... yet more renegade—even than [the prostitutes]--were the tax collectors.

And then the Samaritans, of course, they had their label. The Cult labeled the Samaritans. And to be a Samaritan was in the same category as a devil. Jesus’ critics said to him at one time, "You are a Samaritan and a devil." And he gave a lovely answer: he said, "I am not a devil." Do you get it? Wasn’t that kind to the Samaritan?

"You are a Samaritan and a devil!" And Jesus said, "I’m not a devil." and of course the gentiles, the Romans, and other gentiles... they had their label.

The Cultic Spirit and the Spirit of Jesus.
Now, the Cultic Spirit always likes to label people especially if it’s a religious cult—with religious labels, because the label determines, it determines the way you relate to people. If you were a good Jew, you were inside the cult; you knew how to relate to others who were inside the cult. You knew you could eat with them, for instance. But if a person were Galilean, or a tax collector, you knew how far to stand back from them. And, of course, if he were a Samaritan or a gentile, you’d stand right back.

But there’s something about the Spirit of Jesus that calls this whole Cultic Spirit into question. There’s an amazing catholicity about the Sprit of Jesus. He completely ignored any religious distinctions. He related to people as people—as if those religious labels did not mean that much. He met them where they were; he brought them healing, or comfort, and forgiveness—where they were. He didn’t ask them to recite a creed, even to say a confession. He didn’t say, "Before I can extend my fellowship to you..." take a person aside, and say, "I want to know what you think about the millennium." Or the Calcidonian [sic] Formula of the two natures of Christ. "What is your doctrine of the Trinity?"

Read on here

There is also a series on YouTube you can watch if reading is too mundane. The above text is actually a transcript of the Califoirnia visit in 1985 I think.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Part 12
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 11:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,743,555 times
Quote:
SeekerSA

[font="Comic Sans MS"][quote][quote=SeekerSA;4701181][URL="http://www.mychurch.org/blog/90296/the-spirit-of-jesus-versus-the-cultic-spirit[i]The Cultic Spirit and the Spirit of Jesus.
Now, the Cultic Spirit always likes to label people especially if it’s a religious cult—with religious labels, because the label determines, it determines the way you relate to people. If you were a good Jew, you were inside the cult; you knew how to relate to others who were inside the cult. You knew you could eat with them, for instance. But if a person were Galilean, or a tax collector, you knew how far to stand back from them. And, of course, if he were a Samaritan or a gentile, you’d stand right back.

[color="Purple"]But there’s something about the Spirit of Jesus that calls this whole Cultic Spirit into question. There’s an amazing catholicity about the Sprit of Jesus. He completely ignored any religious distinctions. He related to people as people—as if those religious labels did not mean that much. He met them where they were; he brought them healing, or comfort, and forgiveness—where they were. He didn’t ask them to recite a creed, even to say a confession. He didn’t say, "Before I can extend my fellowship to you..." take a person aside, and say, "I want to know what you think about the millennium." Or the Calcidonian [sic] Formula of the two natures of Christ. "What is your doctrine of the Trinity

[B]Quote:yhwhshalomjr
Superb post,
Very rich and informative and inspiring
God Bless You
(quick rep) <><

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 12-18-2008 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: I apologize for butchering this post reply........God Bless

Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,624,943 times
Wow yhwhshalomjr

It looks like you are data mining old threads but thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality