Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM

348 posts, read 502,624 times

Advertisements

[quote=Nikk;5667232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post

Adam and Eve were probably a darker/olivy color skin. From them came all the colors of skin you see today. There is no need for lots of time, just looking at Mendels Laws shows that variation would have been seen in the first offspring. It is even said that when Seth was born he was in the likeness of Adam. Which means the other children previous to Seth were not like Adam or different colors. So, to answer your question no other people were needed to get the different colors of skin or races. The bible is silent on other people on the ark, because there was no other people on the ark. Sorry to blow your theory out of the water.
"A darker/olivy colour of skin" you say, Nikk?

Now that wouldn't be a blind guess by any chance? Sounds like it to me...

You quote the work of Gregor Mendel and his diligent researches into heredity: now, personally, I would put Mendel into a different league to the strange speculations you come up with. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his theories were based on scientific observation and long, diligent research - the only valid way of understanding the Natural World in my book.

So far from 'Blowing my theory out of the water' as you claim, I challenge you to come up with the results of any similar research you are aware of to underpin your beliefs. I know my Genesis pretty well (both conflicting versions, even) - and well enough to know that you, too, are contradicting yourself, my friend. Do not Creationists believe that everything that exists was created EXACTLY AS IT IS by God in the beginning, and therefore still unchanged today? (ask my poodle - he refuses to believe he is descended from a horrid wolf).

If that really is the case, my argument stands. If evolution doesn't exist, as you claim, then there is no way that any of the members of ALL today's racial types could have descended from one woman (Eve) who could, obviously, not have exhibited the traits of all the races in her physical make-up simultaneously.

So clearly, if, let us say, Eve was of African appearance, today's fair-skinned types would have had to mutate pretty vigourously somewhere along the line, and random mutation, remember, is the central engine of evolution, according to Darwinism. You can't have it both ways.

Also the time scale you allow yourself. 6000 or so years? Are you seriously saying that in that absurdly short space of time the vast diversity of types in the world today somehow came into being, starting with that one couple in the Garden of Eden? Furthermore, the change would have had to be even more rapid, seeing as these multiple racial types were certainly already around in biblical times. It Just doesn't add up. Mendel's laws (if you care to study them rather than just quote them) are useless in explaining such a phenomenon, clever as he was.

I won't go into that other fairy tale, Noah and his ark, right now, suffice to say, for now, that if you can believe in the logistics of that episode, then you will have no problem in believing in the literal truth of anything at all - no matter how insulting to our intelligence! --- Brian.

Last edited by brianrees; 10-14-2008 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 04:08 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Nikk wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to blow your theory out of the water.
I missed the part where you did that. Could you have accidentally deleted it?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 PM

133 posts, read 498,347 times
ok, I must weasel my way into this discussion too...I've asked a question or two about love/lust/relationships on this forum before, and this one interests me (perhaps because I am just getting started in the whole process of Christianity)...

If, as some of you say, the marriage (witnessed only by God, no official paperwork, etc), between Adam and Eve was symbolized through the sexual relations they had, wouldn't that negate the entire "sex before marriage" debate in today's society? If marriage before God was declared through sexual relations, as long as we are monogamous, what does a piece of paper from a court have to do with it?

***as I've said before in other posts, this is an honest question - not meant to sound sarcastic or anything...***

Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaize View Post
ok, I must weasel my way into this discussion too...I've asked a question or two about love/lust/relationships on this forum before, and this one interests me (perhaps because I am just getting started in the whole process of Christianity)...

If, as some of you say, the marriage (witnessed only by God, no official paperwork, etc), between Adam and Eve was symbolized through the sexual relations they had, wouldn't that negate the entire "sex before marriage" debate in today's society? If marriage before God was declared through sexual relations, as long as we are monogamous, what does a piece of paper from a court have to do with it?

***as I've said before in other posts, this is an honest question - not meant to sound sarcastic or anything...***
And that is legit.

In the Old Testament it is assumed that each female came from a family. growing up she is within a family household and protected by her household. In some manner you could consider her to be the property of her family.

When a marriage was arranged, real estate or livestock, or money, or labor was transferred in exchange for her to become a bride.

To change her from being the virgin daughter of one household, to the bride in another household.

But as you say, if there were no parents or family. Then yes marriage is entirely between 2 adults.

A great deal of Old Testament law was based on the idea that a girl is the property of her parents, until she became the property of her husband.

Adultery is defined as damaging the property of another man.

Rape is likewise damaging property. Once damaged it becomes your property.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
living in sin. yep. lots of stuff in the bible like that.
however there is a continuing thread throughout it. the overcoming of material obstacles by spiritual means.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM

16 posts, read 41,624 times
god blessed them and said "be fruitful and multiply, and that's what they did. marriage didnt come in until later and it was ordained by God to be between a man and woman because of this fact. the blessing was a command by God so that it would be this way and to always be this way. the blessing also was a sort of stamp of approval by God and God only. God doesnt change his mind. min london

Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If they were married there wouldn't have been any other human beings to conduct the ceremony so I can only assume that God would have performed the ceremony and the entire human population would have been present which of course was only two people.
It was a private ceremony; only the immediate family attended.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Due to the strangeness of how my mind works I have another peculiar question. Those who believe in the existence of Adam and Eve as described in Genesis know that God is supposed to have made Eve from one of Adam's ribs because God thought he needed a companion but I don't recall that it ever says that they were actually married. If they were married there wouldn't have been any other human beings to conduct the ceremony so I can only assume that God would have performed the ceremony and the entire human population would have been present which of course was only two people. That brings up another interesting thought. People have expressed the opinion many times that the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve became couples and populated the earth with human beings. If this is the case would there also have been a wedding ceremony between brothers and sisters, something which is illegal today? I'm always trying to think of tricky questions as you can probably tell.
They were not married by todays standards although they were married by God's standards. God is only interested in the love of the partners and no piece of paper can declair you married. By todays standards, if you are married with a piece of paper and do not love your partner after a few years or you fight and argue about little things, that is not being married in the eyes of God. If you love each other, then you are married.
It's the same way for people who live together. If they love unconditionally, without fighting or arguing, they are married. If they fight and argue and put conditions on things, they are not.
God doesn't look at the material part of relationships because He is not a material being. He is spiritual so He looks at the spiritual perspective of each thing we do in our lives.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
So after they had some kids and the brothers were doing the sisters and Adam was doing the daughters (come on you know they were...) Were they all sinners? Were there any laws against that stuff yet? Yeah yeah I know they were "sinners" cause they ate that silly fruit...but since they had noooo other rules to live by....just wondering. My mind conjures up all these crazy scenerios too! I must have the same illness that MG has.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Were Adam and Eve married? Yes!
Who married them? They married each other, silly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality