Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 PM

47 posts, read 148,609 times

Advertisements

All I can is that demons and The Devil are very crafty. I'm not sure that a demon would be allowed by God to possess a person. God has power over all demons, even The Devil. A demon or The Devil cannot do something if God doesn't permit it.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I ask again, give me concrete scientific proof of the validity of demonic possession, and we can begin to have an intelligent discussion on that point.

Do you believe that flying pink gorillas exist? No? Why not? Just because you can't or won't grasp the concept of flying pink gorillas, and don't believe in them, doesn't make their existence untrue.
How can they give you scientific proof that demonic possession is real?
Science does not apply to this type of thing, but what a person believes spiritually does. I think demonic possession is something you have to witness to believe, if it does actually happen.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 PM

285 posts, read 535,598 times
Nope!

I do not believe someone can be possessed by a demon.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One of my very favorite movies of all time was The Exorcist. People have often stated that this was based on a real event but investigators have found nothing to substantiate those claims and there seems to be alot of confusion about the actual facts and people who were supposedly involved in it. Of course in the movie it's not just a demon, it's actually satan himself (I guess he's a male, all of the other supernatural beings are supposedly male). Anyway, does anyone believe that this phenomenon is possible and if so what exactly is going on? Would a person's personality and identify be taken over by some sort of entity who takes over their body for lack of a better explanation? Also, does anyone else find it peculiar that you never hear anything about atheists who've become possessed? It's always people who are religious and believe in the realm of the spirit world who seem to fall victim to these possessions. I suspect that it would make someone feel quite important if they were in the midst of a clash between God and satan and I can understand how a little bit of playacting with alot of cursing, physical violence and trauma followed by a theatrical recovery, blessings to the angels, and those dutiful human beings who performed those sacred rites would appeal to someone who really just wanted attention and acceptance. Any thoughts?
Can they? I just don't know. I guess unless you are Catholic, you don't have to worry about it.

[this being an observation of a child saying, "why is it only Catholics get exorcisims?]

Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Can they? I just don't know. I guess unless you are Catholic, you don't have to worry about it.

[this being an observation of a child saying, "why is it only Catholics get exorcisims?]
Exorcism can happen to Christians of any denomination, but it seems like we never hear about this. A family member told me he knows a Baptist Minister who performed an exorcism on someone.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Exactly, and that's why you fail to have any credibility.

I believe you will sign over all your paychecks to me. So, when will I see the deposits in my bank account?

Yeah, gonna happen just about as soon as demonic possession will...
You don't get what they are trying to say, do you? Science, in my view, only applies to the physical world. Demons are of the spiritual world, not the physical world, therefore you cannot use science to prove anything involving demons or any spirit.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
yeah i believe does and has happened, but that it's not recognized as often in today's society for various reasons incl. lack of regard for the spirit world, and the fact that trickery is evils greatest tool. also, i believe that it manifests itself differently than the movies portray most of the time. people can be much more useful than spazzing out and spitting pea soup stuff on people.. they can be used for political agendas, harming the innocent, destroying the planet, misleading people into mass suicides, and let's not forget the influence of the media.. the list goes on and on.

it's my opinion that good or bad influence can seep into just about anyone. most often everyone has both good and bad in them, but sometimes the scales seem to tip and they either let an impressive amount of good in, or a whole lot of bad.

but that's just how it seems to me.
I agree with everything you said here.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:07 PM

237 posts, read 870,897 times
ghosts, aliens, angels, demons, curses, sleep paralysis. they are all connected any thoughtful person cannot dismiss demonic possession when many people have dealt with all those things.

other people have had problems leave them when they threw out idols.

haunted houses don't just bother one person they bother everyone who lives in the house.

Last edited by grmike; 09-25-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Everybody is possessed by a demon when they don't want to take responsibility for their own actions.
Okay, but what if someone says they were possessed and they are telling the truth? Wouldn't you feel bad for them if they go to prison for something they didn't do? I know you are an atheist, so you probably think I'm being ridiculous, but you should always think about the "what ifs". Truth is stranger than fiction.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
There is no SuSuSushi, there is only Zuul!
Be gone demon, in the name of God the almighty! The power of Christ compels you!

There, you should be free now.

I couldn't resist going on with your joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality