Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 04:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times

Advertisements

I mentioned on a post the other day that I thought there were probably more Christian and Muslim sects than there had ever been in history but I wonder how our world will change as more and more people are influenced by competing beliefs from around the world as human beings interact due to economic ties, travel, the internet and all of those activities that seem to make the world a smaller place. I tend to think that even the number of languages that people speak will become fewer in number as this interaction forces people to learn new languages (english in particular) and the younger generation might not even learn the language of their parents or grandparents. I know this is true in Native American communities and also in other parts of the world where small groups of individuals must learn the language of the main population and often lose a part of their culture in doing so. I think the same thing will likely happen to religion. It's only been in the last generation that the internet has allowed people from every nation to engage in conversations with total strangers from any other place in the world just like we're doing on this forum. There's no question that this has had a very powerful influence in every aspect of human interaction.
This is what I think is likely to happen. Small groups of people who've been isolated for centuries from the rest of the world will eventually become influenced by more powerful societies and will lose their religion, their language and their culture as a result. Also, there will be such a mixing of cultures, religions, languages, etc. that the entire human race will be changed by it. When you think about it cultures have always been changing over time and being influenced by each other but now I think that process is going to become much more rapid. That's just my personal opinion, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,521,759 times
I would like to think that with instant global communication and all the talk of religion now reaching places we have only read about that people will be interested in each others beliefs, and non beliefs about God/creator..I am a dreamer and an optimist so I hope to see people become more tolerant and understanding of other peoples religions, but according to this forum, I have to say I don't see that happening very soon.. I do see the very remote places losing their religion, language and culture, but there will always be a few who will have the insight to keep it in rememberance and practice much like our Native Americans Ptsum, Redbird and others here in this forum are doing..

Over the years, I have seen very rapid changes in the family due to the advancements in communication and electronic toys, et.. The family evenings and weekends seem to have changed from doing things together to everyone disappearing into their own rooms to be alone with their computers and games..I hear youngsters constantly complain "I'm bored" if you take the TV, games and computer away from them..The children are losing their childhood creative imaginations..

Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 PM

10 posts, read 26,875 times
I believe you are correct about language and culture. In more developing regions there will probably be a significant generation gap as the youth start to embrace the new technology. Overall I would argue it’s a good thing, technologies like the internet make it impossible to silence viewpoints.

For religion, I think it will create more unique groups, a person could find any particular group to identify with. One could choose a faith and find a community of similar believers without it being the dominant religion of their community

Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,127 times
The internet allows me to be a missionary for the Followers of Jesus without ever leaving the comfort of my own home.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:59 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,521,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The internet allows me to be a missionary for the Followers of Jesus without ever leaving the comfort of my own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality