Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about money...I'm talking about emotional support, a place to live and not be alone. Doesn't mean I won't have the money to pay for my care or needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
On another note, I also believe as each generation passes that we are moving on to a society in which euthanasia will be the norm. I hope not, but feel that is where things are headed in the future.
Personally, I would like euthanasia to be legal, and to have the option to dictate the terms of my euthanasia. I do have a living will that stipulates no heroic measures, and when I would want to be "unplugged" but that's not quite the same as being able to choose when to die.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I do think a child has a moral responsibility to take care of a parent but there could be alot of different circumstances that could affect how much they could actually do. For example, if the son or daughter has a family and is living on a limited income in another part of the country that could pose some very difficult obstacles no matter how well intentioned the son or daughter might be. For myself, I would make every effort I could including having a parent move in to my house.
My sister who lives in Mexico is going to work one more year down there and when she comes home she's going to have her own place but it will be located on my Mother and StepFather's property in Montana which after selling off alot of acreage is still about 50 acres. That way they can kind of look after each other. Every time I see my StepFather he seems like he's aged alot although my Mother seems to be doing very well. They're both the same age at 76. My other sister and her husband are also thinking about buying property there too and living there in the summer. I like the idea of that situation, that way they can help each other out.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM

47 posts, read 78,082 times
Default Dear Blue,

I am not agreed with you . May be because I have the asian thinking pattern. But, Can you remember the way you looked after three of them when you were also ill ? Can you capture the moments in your life with them , even if they lost the success?Can you remember the moments you spent with them when they are sick ? With out going to work ? Can you ever measure the time you have sacrificed through out your life? Can you count the days you spent, with out having a glass of water because of them? Dear mom we did every thing to them. We compromize our comforts to make them happy and more comfortable. Why not asking the same from them ? We do not ask money. JUST A LITTLE LOVE AND CARING.Tell them to marry a man who is willing to love his in laws as well. When we are old we need their love . With out love we cannot breath .............When we cannot walk properly , we need their hands to walk...........to feel the love.... to memorise the love we gave them when they were small..Think twice. Help them to raise their kids as well. The same way you looked after your angels.,Tell them the stories of your childhood.........................love..

Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
I don't think anyone is under a moral obligation to take care of another adult. However, I am taking care of an elderly Aunt with ailing health and morals have little to do with it. There are several people in our family who could help, but they chose not to and don't. I do not consider them less moral or myself more moral. I think we make choices about things based on values. I hope I am never in a position to need my children to care for me. I certainly don't have an expectation of their care, but I hope if I ever did needed their help I would count on them as they can count on me. I know this may not be the case. None of my Aunts children are there for her, but somebody is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality