Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 PM

175 posts, read 424,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inconsequential View Post
1. Personal vindictiveness against Gary Olsen, and
As a former student, I do not feel personal vindictiveness toward Gary Olsen. I take full responsibility for being young, blind, naive, and trusting when I placed my faith in the concept that Gary was a Saint, or that he was a Sat Guru, or that he was a "Godman," or that his motives were altruistic. I believe the amount of time I invested is more than sufficient for thoroughly analyzing the teaching and the teachers/leaders.

Quote:

The majority of us here on this planet have an innate urge to spiritualize our consciousness, and nothing in our early conditioning or education prepares us to do this. So when the moment arrives for us to wake up, we look for people and paths who profess to have answers, and for various reasons we are drawn to them.

During my days as a chela, two things about MasterPath bothered me:
1. The books are terribly written, grammatically. The flow of the language was painful, and though I thought the books contained 'nuggets of truth', I felt like MP could have definitely used an editor. The failure to do so sparked a red light in me.

2. The in-seminar claims that 'like Jesus was a carpenter, Gary was a painting contractor'. There are excellent earlier posts in this thread about the self-made comparison to all the world masters.

Point 1 showed me the proprietary nature of a personality that will allow neither dissent nor modification of "The Word" as it is handed down, and Point 2 showed me a total lack of humility.
He did have an editor: his wife. Woe be to anyone who questioned the incoherency of a sentence, or the run-on sentence that became a paragraph, or the quotation marks, italics.... etc.

the total lack of humility.... yes, plus much more is seen between the lines of those poorly edited texts. I really saw it in the summer of 2005. A life-altering experience. Amazing that such a minor mistake of plagarism would require such extensive editing to correct.

Quote:
So MasterPath is providing a set of principles and a roadmap to immortality, and the ego is grabbing it, telling itself how spiritual it is, and how evolved it is. "Look at me, I've found THE HIGHEST PATH on the planet." What a trap that is, and one that is used quite effectively by MP on well-intentioned, beautiful chelas. These chelas are working so hard to be the best that they can be, and the irony is that they don't see that they can direct the same effort but simply remove the middleman.
Why don't they see it? Because the middleman (Gary) is telling them how beautiful they are, and initiating them step by step, making them feel like they are progressing slowly but surely up the invisible ladder to godhood.
Yes, the chelas are working to be the best they can be, and they are loving, kind people. And many of those loving, kind, and generous individuals are posting on this thread. We are no longer "chelas" so maybe you weren't referring to us. Nor do I ever wish to be a chela. I've closed the door, and have no need to return to what is not true.

I'm not so sure that MP is providing a road map to immortality. It's been represented more like a spiritual clique on this thread (and not by ex-students).

Quote:
Another thing that smelled a bit foul - I had waited two years for the Second Initiation, and when it came, there were maybe twenty of us in the room, and Joy did the ceremony, not Gary! I felt uncomfortable the whole time. And yet, my ego was telling me how spiritual I was, and goaded me on for another three years or so.
My 2nd initiation was given a year before MP formed. I wasn't a member of any group. But that story is for another time. Who's doing the ceremony now? I no longer honor the initiation or the ceremony as valid or real.

Quote:
My point in all of this is that it is that the chelas who are posting on this thread are not evil people.... people will continue to flock to masters of all types until they are ready to carry their burdens alone.
and masters of all types will continue to take advantage of the sincere who want to believe in something greater than themselves...

masters of all types will continue to peddle their wares convincing people that they must pay for what is inherently free....

masters of all types will also inculcate the idea within the devoted that the guru is the key to liberation and enlightenment...

Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 PM

175 posts, read 424,850 times
Personal vindictiveness: None of us are seeking revenge. We were sincere seekers of the truth.

The truth is that in the eleventh hour, the 'Sat Guru Gary Olsen' will play you like a deck of cards. And then he is so arrogant as to expect you to be responsible for 'spiritualizing the experience.'

Leaving MP in good standing does not require wisdom. Anyone made to feel that he/she must “be wise enough to leave in good standing” is very telling indeed. Two words come to mind: mind control. Really, when you look at it, the only thing required to leave in good standing is to demonstrate a prostrated position of spiritual ignorance in upholding the notion that Gary is a Sat Guru. At least that’s how I see it. But that “mirror reflection principle” does get a bit smudgy for me whenever I think of Gary as Sat Guru.

I did not feel it necessary to 'cover my ass' when I left MP. But I surely witnessed plenty of it happening during the process. I was referring to Olsen. Sad. Gary has yet to realize the simplest of truths. Rememberingyou said it best: he could have simply wished us well. But even that meaningful act of kindness escaped his supposedly exalted state of spiritual awareness. Gary Olsen is directly responsible for ex-students not having stories of blessings and love to share and tell. Is this experience some big mistake? Are we all just a bunch of losers too unevolved for the lofty principles of MP?

Well, judging by the profoundly simple questions asked on this forum that are unanswerable by a single chela, I think not.

Peacemaker21: you left off two current chelas on your list: Shakey1 and BenSeeley.

Some additional stats for your consumption: out of all the folks who have posted on this forum, there are only 2 people that Allan1015 has shown a degree of agreement or respect for their viewpoint or opinion...guess who they are: BenSeeley and Shakey1. He has ostracized every poster through his own viewpoint, not through anything anyone else has posted. But I guess that reflective mirror principle only applies to us bigots seeing our ‘smudgy minds.’ Or maybe the 'love and kindness' he has demonstrated is just too subtly refined for the eyes of heretics like me.

Allan1015 says: “Perhaps raised the barrier would be a better word?"

First, that implies a barrier already exists. MP is its own barrier. Here are some additional stats: as of 2005 the number of people joining MP was around the same number as those who were dropping the path.

I would also guess that the number of MP books, profiles, audio tapes, seeker meetings, ads in Yoga Journal, Global Cause meetings, etc exceeds the number of views of this forum. The barrier exists within MP, not through this thread. But I suppose that "mirror principle" doesn't apply when the Guru is looking at himself. If anything this thread might be helping MP. It certainly helps the devoted increase their devotion.

I would offer a list of barriers that I see, but since your inner mirror of pure truth is such a clear perception of all things…maybe you’ll be blessed with new insight.

Beentheredonethat is absolutely correct. Defending Olsen is akin to being asked by the rapist if it was good for us. Clearly, the current chelas posting on this forum have no firsthand experience with Olsen. I don’t think that attending a few seminars a year is a credible testament to his true character. It certainly doesn’t compare to the experience of those who have actually interacted with him and his wife. Who have served them both, who have been on the receiving end of their abuse of power for which neither assumes any level of personal responsibility or spiritual accountability.

Shuffler: I remember the MP Bulletin Board posting a yearly reminder that 250$ of dues were tax deductible.

I also recall it was MP policy that couples were not allowed to share discourses. Each person had to buy their own set of discourses, even if they were studying the same discourse. I’m sure there is some 'sacred' reason that the chelas could enlighten us on… but frankly, I now see it as unacknowledged greed and control, imho.

Last edited by end_of_faith; 10-22-2009 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by end_of_faith View Post
I would also guess that the number of MP books, profiles, audio tapes, seeker meetings, ads in Yoga Journal, Global Cause meetings, etc exceeds the number of views of this forum. The barrier exists within MP, not through this thread. But I suppose that "mirror principle" doesn't apply when the Guru is looking at himself. If anything this thread might be helping MP. It certainly helps the devoted increase their devotion.

Shuffler: I remember the MP Bulletin Board posting a yearly reminder that 250$ of dues were tax deductible.

I also recall it was MP policy that couples were not allowed to share discourses. Each person each had to buy their own set of discourses, even if they were studying the same discourse. I’m sure there is some “sacred” reason that the chelas could enlighten us on… but frankly, I now see it as unacknowledged greed and control, imho.
I edited this quote only to highlight the most obvious and telling of the ways of Gary Olsen, the rest of end_of_faiths quote is, as usual, insightful and based on true experience with the way things really are in MasterPath.

What is the most obvious and telling?

MONEY!

That is what the Olsen's really care about. Why else would they charge for virtually everything? And at exorbitant rates, i.e. $24 dollars for a picture of the greedy and schmaltzy Gary himself.

Check for yourself, except for and introductory lecture and a cheezy pamphlet, everything else costs you to find 'the true path'.

Follow the money!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 17,132 times
Default In response to several responses

To beenthere and deepcynic, your posts are quite enlightening. I do think it takes time to readjust to life outside the bubble, and although I am not a dues-paying chela, it is a slow process to come around to yourself again in a healthly way.
I do not see myself as an Olsen apologist, and I certainly never got too close to him or the inner workings of the path. Some instinct inside me always kept me to the fringes.
My points were simply about personal responsibility, and trying to share my process -- because I am not bitter about the whole thing. Then again, I also never had a personal experience with Gary or Joy.

Most importantly, I would never try to negate or deny any experience that anyone else had. Obviously other posters to this forum have been much closer to the fire.
I think that this debate is very healthy for all involved, and I agree that I am probably in a transition state, and though I have given myself time and distance, perhaps I am not all the way there yet. But, at the very least, this forum has been a place to speak my mind and compare notes and see what other people are saying. For that I am quite grateful.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM

Very well, inconsequential. I am glad you seem open to what seems obvious to some of us.

Maybe you could weigh in with more insight into the 'instinct' that kept you on the fringes.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 AM

34 posts, read 129,757 times
Default Vindictive?

Is wishing to see sleazy scam artist Gary Olsen and his wife Joy stripped of all their wealth by the IRS and then both prosecuted by the Feds and sentenced to 25 years federal prison...with Gary Olsen sharing an intimate cell with sweaty, foul smelling 320 lb. very horny Big Bubba being vindictive?

Keep filling out those IRS complaint forms folks

Old 10-23-2009, 02:42 PM

42 posts, read 80,185 times
Post peace-maker or muck-raking bloodhound...?

Hi folks - Am back after 2 busy weeks to a. make peace (in myself, if with no-one else) / b. muck the peace / c. rake the muck - (delete as applicable) - i've enjoyed reading all the posts in interim - everything from inconsequential's carefully considered contemplations, to the "big bubba" remark. I'm not taking sides, tho being a current chela on this forum by default places me in one camp...anyway, here's my latest Who's Who of Posters, based on the inputs fed-back, so we can see where we all stand:
  1. Current Chelas -
    those who are presently studying on MasterPath @allan1015 @PeaceMaker21 @jay-cos @Shakey1 @BenSeeley
  2. Former Chelas @FormerChela, @BeenThereDoneThat09 @SoulPatriot @rememberingyou @inconsequential
  3. Former MP Office Staff - who were on the payroll @End_of_Faith
  4. Others who have known of gary olsen or MP through other interactions @Violet11 who used to work in the printshop that printed MP books
  5. Those who have been to a public MP seeker event at a seminar @reofrmedone
  6. Seekers of some kind of spiritual truth,who have found out about the masterpath and are looking for more information about it on the internet and found this thread
  7. relatives or friends of current or former MP chelas or MP office staff @Shuffler (creator of this thread) @deepcynic
  8. On-lookers: Those who post to this and other threads and have had no first-hand (real world) knowledge of gary olsen or masterpath, other than through what they have read on this thread or elsewhere on the internet
  9. One who is truly enlightened, who has no interest in accumulating wealth - (do any posters on this thread fall into this category yet...? @MysticPHD maybe...?)
Picking up where I was lasted quoted by @violet11 -

Quote:
So I take that to mean that you actually believed the nonsense Gary told you about the former followers? I know the messiah complex, I just wondered if there was some other twist to it in MasterPath-speak.

Anyway, it's quite clear that none of the former followers who've posted here exhibit any characteristics of a messiah complex. Doesn't that undermine Gary's credibility at all for you? He can hurt others as long as he doesn't hurt you and that's okay? Like deepcynic posted earlier, how far would you follow your guru? Is there anything he could do to make you question his authenticity? Evidently lying and money-grubbing doesn't, which is astounding.

The psychology of this still fascinates me. Something so deeply embedded in the brain that it repels logic and wipes out any moral standards for the supposed "guru". They're hypnotized.
Personally, in my 14 years of being a chela, I've never been told any "nonsense" nor anything negative about current or former followers of MP - neither by Sri Gary nor by anyone else at MasterPath, but I'm open to the possibility it might have happened between other chelas and/or office-staff: I simply don't know, but yes:if there were evidence of "lying or money-grubbing" I definitely would be concerned and want to get to the real facts: so far, posters have pointed fingers at MP's "charge for everything" philosophy - but has anyone actually seen this income go to funding a lavish lifestyle for sri gary et co, or are the cash reserves that have apparently built up, akin to the coffers of a church-fund? - Again, not being versed in US-tax law, could someone explain what the nature of the offence would be? Does anyone actually have any recent data or is it all conjecture at this stage?

As for being "hurt" - in feelings and emotions - I appreciate it can arise in any number of situations between people in life: friends, couples, guru-student-bonds all of which are sacred in their own way - but I think it's fair to say emotional hurt is still a subjective experience, not an objective reality - i.e. something that has form in the mind / consciousness of the person experiencing it: what might be hurtful to one person might not even raise a (third!) eyebrow in another. I honestly feel for @reofrmedone's experience in an emotionally-abusive marriage and can see the analogy she is drawing to a pseudo-guru - student bond, but there is a key difference that I would like to share: this is only my opinion based on my experiences and I most certainly have not been asked to say this:

The "methods" of a satguru can seem unusual - e.g. if a student is yelled at or receives a "stern" letter in the post, assume for a moment it might not be due to ego or a lack of self-control on the satguru's part (though it may certainly SEEM like that to the chela at the receiving end) - a satguru by definition in completing the spiritual journey of soul, has had to totally surrender the individual mind and ego, and is thus able to reflect back an element of the student's consciousness in such a way that allows the student to REALLY understand the nature of their own ego. the guru might imitate anger in the way parents do (or, as was said earlier in this thread, football coaches etc) with their children, not really "meaning" the anger, and still loving the child, but wanting to make a key point VERY CLEAR -

Of course, if a satguru's consciousness were NOT 100% pure and reflective in this manner, then yes, such an approach would be fundamentally flawed - how would you know a guru were not just having a "bad saint day" or indeed, "a bad lifetime", hence the defining requirement - that the consciousness of a satguru be like "a spotless mirror" - which is why I absolutely agree with @violet11 and others that the issue of authenticity is CRITICAL to the process of studying with Sri Gary or any other satguru: are they really who they say they are?

And so to PROOF - If Sri Gary indeed were the reincarnation of a former, respected satguru such as Sawan Singh Ji, what proof would ever be good enough? Peforming a few miracles to impress the uninterested or hostile masses?, a "Who's the next-Dalai-Lama?"-type game show? An "inner" experience? - what proof would ever be conclusive enough? As far as personal belief goes, yes it does come down to "faith" (or the end of it) - all sides are entitled to their opinions, but if there indeed exists a God and Absolute Truth, mine and every human being's opinion about it (God) is frankly irrelevant.

My question "is there absolute truth and a soul in us", which exists at a level above the ego and mind of an individual, is therefore a question about the general psychological process of the ego surrendering, not about a specific person / master.

I'm not a "well trained pup" being asked to believe everything I've been told just because Sri Gary has said it - rather an inquisitive bloodhound: I like to perform my own inner and outer investigations, and discover answers for myself - my "stumbling" on this thread (in the google sense), is a case in point.

In trying to get to the Absolute Truth about Sri Gary and MP, there's going to be all sorts of other stuff that comes up:

a) Opinions - e.g. like @rememberingyou's point of view that my "spout is absolute BS" (it's a valid viewpoint!)

b) Claims and Allegations - e.g. of illegal activity such as accounting irregularities, etc claims which I agree, should be investigated and action taken if true, (or withdrawn if false)

c) Lies / disinformation from people on the various sides with agendas - either to defend sri gary (which he has certainly never asked me to do) or attack him

So who's right? Who to believe if at this stage it's basically the word of one person or group of people versus another? - Somewhere amongst all this, is the Truth: let's get to it, say I

Last edited by PeaceMaker21; 10-23-2009 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: typos fixed

Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 PM

Yep, lets get to the truth.

Gary is in it for the money. There is ample enough evidence of this. Why else would he charge for everything.

Gary has castigated former chelas. There are testimonials of that here and elsewhere.

Gary has plagiarized. Documented and even admitted too.

The allegations of his marijuana use are not really that important except to show his hypocrisy. Harder yet to prove (if he is smart), but true nevertheless.

What else do you want? Investigate it, quit taking his word as THE word.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 AM

268 posts, read 457,662 times
Peacemaker21, first I want to give you some credit for being able to articulate your position much better than say, Allan1015, who is generally hostile and has responded here defensively only to a few sentences here and there, seemingly unable to let go of his own ego while doing so.

Thanks for recognizing that the authenticity of a guru is critical. Have you read this entire thread? No one is asking for a Dalai Lama game show and I think everyone probably agrees there is no way to "prove" anything per se. But when you read all of the posts from rememberingyou, end_of_faith, BeenThereDoneThat09, Soul Patriot, and even Inconsequential, what about their words do you find "subjective"? I could totally understand if they'd stated only opinions or feelings. But each one of them have shared concrete examples of their experiences that I cannot understand anyone misinterpreting as opinion.

Obviously you do believe Gary is an authentic saint or Sat Guru. But why? I'm gathering that it's because of your "inner" experiences. What "inner" experiences cancel out the outer experiences (yours and others)? He appears in your dreams? Easily explainable as something other than a "guru" actually entering your subconscious on his own. He speaks to you in your mind during meditation/spiritual practices? Easily explainable as something other than a "guru" presence. You feel "love", etc. when you're in his presence? Easily explained. You find wisdom and truth in the books he sells you? Well, they don't contain his words, they are words he copied from previous works! It's just a matter of faith? Why have faith in another human being who by many accounts is undeserving of your faith? Why have faith in ANYONE other than yourself?! What is it about having a "guru" at all that is so ingrained in your way of thinking?

Yes, I don't believe in "gurus" as defined in MP and elsewhere, so there's the first place we disagree. But if I was your sister or daughter or mother, how would you explain to me that there's this blond tan guy in the United States who is God incarnate selling books and photos and you continuously devote time and money to this man as your "guru"?

Where is the lineage? Is it in the pretty drawings/painting of Gary with Sawan Singh and Jesus and whoever else? Who taught him in this life? Where did he get the teachings? Was he in Eckenkar? If so, what person does he credit with his journey to Godhood? For instance Paramahansa Yogananda always paid reverence to Sri Yuketswar in everything he wrote. Does Gary ever talk about or credit HIS living "guru"?

Have you read the "False Guru Test" and other sets of rules or guidelines for evaluating authenticity? How would Gary possibly ever pass?

Let's not forget that you are attending, what, three seminars a year? (I'm only guessing). You live in another country. You rarely come into contact with Gary or Joy. What, besides your identifying with what was written many many years ago (and hijacked by Gary) keeps you believing in this charade?

The human imagination is powerful, we've all seen many examples of this in ridiculous spiritual groups and cults formed by other egomaniacs. How do you find yourself different?

Last edited by Violet11; 10-24-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-24-2009, 02:16 PM

34 posts, read 129,757 times
Default To Inconsequential

Quote:
To beenthere and deepcynic, your posts are quite enlightening. I do think it takes time to readjust to life outside the bubble, and although I am not a dues-paying chela, it is a slow process to come around to yourself again in a healthly way.
I do not see myself as an Olsen apologist, and I certainly never got too close to him or the inner workings of the path. Some instinct inside me always kept me to the fringes.
My points were simply about personal responsibility, and trying to share my process -- because I am not bitter about the whole thing. Then again, I also never had a personal experience with Gary or Joy.

Most importantly, I would never try to negate or deny any experience that anyone else had. Obviously other posters to this forum have been much closer to the fire.
I think that this debate is very healthy for all involved, and I agree that I am probably in a transition state, and though I have given myself time and distance, perhaps I am not all the way there yet. But, at the very least, this forum has been a place to speak my mind and compare notes and see what other people are saying. For that I am quite grateful.

Inconsequential,

That was a heartfelt, emotionally honest post. Thank you.

Yes it does take quite some time to exorcise cult programming and I have great compassion and respect for anyone who takes on the difficult task.

One of the very insideous brain washing techniques cult leaders use is to convince their followers to distrust their own powers of reasoning and critical thinking. In the case of MasterPath, Olsen insists that your whole mind is your mortal enemy and of the "Universal Mind Power" and the "Kal" (AKA Devil) and can't be trusted. So what then to trust? Only Olsen. This makes you malleable to him and subject to being "redirected" by his "eyes and ears" his "higher initiates" (AKA someone more programmed than you). I was one of those "redirecting higher initiates" and cringed for a few years after I left about the unmitigated hubris and insensitivity I displayed. I let Olsen convince me that I was actually "higher" than them and they needed special ol' me to remind them that only through Olsen's grace could they get off the Wheel of 84 (Karma). Of course I wasn't higher than Olsen because I wasn't baked on marijuana...ah couldn't resist that one.

One of the most difficult things I had to come to terms with is that I literally programmed myself by going to sleep listening to Olsen's voice and "teachings" on tape every night. Plus I constantly read discourses, initiate's manuals, books and generally fully immersed myself like a good "chela" should. I think the tapes every night did the most damage because the subconscious is very programmable.

It finally took me a couple of years after leaving to ask myself the one question that helped free me from the cult "hangover." That question was "What specific thing about myself made me vulnerable to being in a cult and letting myself be duped, ripped off and abused by a skinny man with a nasty temper?" For me the hard answer was that certain pains, abuses, and unfulfilled needs in my younger years made me still desperately want to be one of the very few, really REALLY special favored children of the ultimate Daddy...GOD INCARNATE! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

But once I could identify the specific chinks in my armor, I set about the task of deprogramming myself with as much fervor and dedicaton as I devoted to the MasterPath programming. Since I had listened to Olsen's monotomous voice every night while I slept for over a decade, I chose 2 of Bellaruth's Naparstek's (see HealthJourneys.com) CDs which I then put on my CD player, now iPod, to program my subconscious with a much more life affirming message. The 2 CDs I chose were her one on PTSD and her one on Anger and Forgiveness. These have been very helpful. As you can see from the Big Bubba comment I'm still working on the anger part Though I am unapologetic about wanting to see Olsen, his wife, and the others complicit in the scam be stopped and pay for their crimes.

The biggest challenge for me was forgiving myself for taking too long to leave... even though I saw enough behind the scenes abuse of others, total laughing distain for the chelas, breaking of chelas secrets and confidences, and outright bold-faced lies to give me reason to leave many years before I did.

I had to befriend my own mind again and appreciate it for all its wisdom and craziness. Sure there are lower, reflexive parts of our minds that are brutish and animalistic but there is also the parts that are totally connected to the mind of God. As I said in a previous post, the graduation present is finally knowing that we don't need a human intermediary to "initiate" us into our already present God Connection.

Sincerely wishing you well on your own deprogramming and renewed embracing of your life and all the good in it. Kudos to you for your strength and courage.

Kind regards,

BeenThere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.