Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 05:14 AM

138 posts, read 244,763 times

Advertisements

And here I thought that I was alone in the challenges that I had to face after leaving the MasterPath (MP). Thanks @Shuffler for asking the original question.

Very healing indeed particularly since reading the entire 94 pages helped me to get greater closure that I've been working on ever since I left. Admittedly Allan1015 did remind me of the principle of the "Rite to be Right", as well as being generally just defensive, so I stopped reading what he had to say early on. Suffice to say "he doth protest too much"

My hat is off to ALL of the former MP'ers who stood up and spoke the truth about your experiences and shared from areas that I know were of deep pain, regret and sorrow. I too have shared in the same thoughts and feelings of being manipulated, being taken for granted and assumed to being insincere amongst so many darker thoughts and feelings.

@remberingyou, kudo's for what you said about PTSD, and your other self observations, I too felt the very same thing. What I learned about PTSD is that it is a failure to recognize that there is no justice in the world, and that is what soldiers have to face in battle, which to some may seem cold comfort right now, but noodle on it for a bit and see if it helps. However as was also mentioned by Rene Quinton, who wrote "A Soldier's Testament", that "there is no justice for saints in this world" either. So eventually in this life or the next, (if such a thing exists) that payback gets to be a b***h, a.k.a. karmic kickback.

@End of Faith - your comments re this were spot on how people can end up on the MP, plus I would like to add my deepest heartfelt appreciation for your candor all through this posting. Whether you realize it or not you have given hope with what you've had to say about what has gone on behind the curtain.

The feelings of not trusting yourself would and should be considered quite common, understandable and natural, however I did manage to get over that. Which means that others can too.

Yeah I could have kicked myself repeatedly for being naive, unwise, etc.. since I saw all the warning signs early on, but was convinced via prosletysing by one of my friends who was a chela to get on board.

I held out for 2 years before I finally succumbed to going to a seminar and signing up. But I sure did pitch a ***** for the entire time I was on the MP, a recalcitrant chela some would, and some did say to me. And you would think after leaving and going back 2 more times, yep a 3X loser according to Gary, that I would be condemned to a living hell for that. But one doesn't do a thing like the MP, 3 times no less, unless they're sincere and devoted to their own spirituality, and transcending their own limited viewpoints. It just doesn't wash otherwise. I had my personal living hell while I was on the MP.

I was lucky in many respects. You see my metaphysical distress (feelings of my life not working out the way I wanted, taking up smoking again, etc) that I was originally diagnosed by my chela-friend with, was in fact, later diagnosed as mercury poisoning, as well as a touch of hypoglycemia. Which if you've ever even heard about those 2 things is pretty much going to make anyone feel out of whack. When I dealt with those 2 things, clarity began to return along with a deep understanding of what I went through, psychically and spiritually. Let's just say I don't recommend the MP, mercury poisoning or hypoglycemia.

For those die hard MP's yeah I got to see my ego and my shadow all in one wrapped up together with a very severe illness that almost killed me. Am I bitter? Nope not anymore.

@End of Faith's dream recalling the "play with Gary and Joy in it", was oh so revealing. I am so glad you shared it - thank you. Your dream really did shed light on the Truth, which I believe to be an absolute truth in this case and not a relative one.

To those who wonder why people get caught up in something like the MP, ask yourself if you've ever been naive or ignorant about something in the world or about your life, about anything? Then you have something of an idea of why people get involved in something like it. Life can be an education like that sometimes. Try not to judge too harshly. -- Nuff said.

Whoever you are and whatever your reason for leaving the MP, know that it was your sincerity that likely contributed to your leaving / exiting. Give yourself credit for leaving, or being graced with a forced exit, that inner part of you deep down was working in your favor, the real you that is looking out for your best interests, you got what you needed and are onto the next phase of your life. Rejoice in that, truly !!!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:36 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet11 View Post
What about Sky View Corp/Trust? It's been brought up here before. Looking into it online, it appears that Sky View is listed as "in care of" someone named Simmons - who is also CFO of MasterPath according to the 990 Schedule A in 2005. Sky View is a title holding company; it apparently serves to protect the property from liability in the event Gary/MasterPath faced litigation. Sky View Corp evidently held 501(c)(2) exempt status at one time but is no longer exempt. Whether or not there's a smoking gun somewhere in there, who knows. I certainly don't. Maybe someone with more expertise could investigate and offer insight.
Very telling...it supports my theory that the Olsens have a plan for reducing tax/legal liability, and hiding assets....true to form for just about any greedy executive at the helm of his company.

Their butts might be covered, no thanks in part to our wonderful IRS and the many unintended loopholes that crafty businesses can exploit...

Old 12-17-2009, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
Default Sleazy Masterpath

I too am a former member of masterpath. So glad to see that so many former members have left and have helped others leave. I had my own deep struggles with all the brainwashing Olsen does. He tries to alienate you from your family and friends by saying that they are too unevolved for you to have relationships with them. Then he tells you to not read any spiritual literature but his. If you don't pay your dues you are told that you are risking your spiritual evolution.

Masterpath is a compilation of Eckankar, Radha Soami and the U.S. military replete with rank ( "I'm a 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th initiate") so you have to obey those "higher" than you, the same as sargeant, captain, major in the army. The "higher initiates" tattle on the lower ones if they are not complying and buying into Olsen's power trip. Olsen, of course, is the 5 star general! Olsen controls who gets the next initiation and unless you are obeying him in an unquestioning way you are disciplined by someone "higher" than you. He is a typical sleazy cult leader just in it for the money and power over people. I have read all 95 pages here and it just confirms what a total sleaze artist Olsen is.

No one has mentioned Dennis Holtje who according to Olsen is a "Self-Realized Saint". I know for a fact that Holtje is addicted to smoking hashish and drinking alcohol, so the revelations on Olsen and his creepy wife being potheads are totally believable and consistant with their behavior.

The Simmons mentioned previously related to Olsen's finances is his accountant Sherry Simmons. I'm sure that whenever she gets the courage to leave she will have quite a story to tell. Sounds like she will soon be interviewed/interrogated by the IRS.

How about a class action suit against Olsen? I'd sure like all the money I spent on this scam back including dues, donations, travel expenses etc.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 AM

Default re: Sleazy Masterpath

I am astounded to hear about Dennis being addicted to hashish. Using alcohol in moderation wasn't considered to be against the MP rules though. However the Olsen's being potheads is another matter since it would constitute regular use, and justifiably a crutch of some sort. (my interpretation of it).

I don't remember Jesus or any of the other saints condoning the use weed or hash as acceptable.

Many reader's of this thread will draw their own conclusions about this so I would hope that this isn't hearsay, but is something that they have witnessed or know for fact? Some clarity on knowing how you know these to be facts would likely be very helpful.

Assuming for the moment it is true, I remember Gary going on and on about drug and alcohol use / abuse in a few of the seminars. Gary even mentioned about weed &/or alcohol bringing you to the astral plane, and that its regular use could pervert the process of "unfoldment", and thus shouldn't be used at all as a means to "go in".

Which if Gary, Dennis and Joy are using this stuff to the degree being stated or on some sort of a semi regular basis then it casts a very dark pall over their self appointment over how others should conduct their lives is called into serious question. One could reasonably say hypocritical, as well as being of questionable morals and ethics, in the end clearly not the actions of saints.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM

268 posts, read 457,703 times
For all of the former members, kudos to you.

How many people in MP are "self-realized saints"? Is it just Gary, Joy, and Dennis Holtje? How long was Dennis a student before he was declared a saint by Gary? The initiate levels are pretty interesting. I suppose it's a smart tactic to keep people on the path, always having their eye on that next level and the perceived status that will come with it.

The accountant should surely be on the fast track to sainthood, what a job.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 PM

Just the three, Dennis, Gary and Joy.

If I remember correctly it took Dennis 12 years, or something like that. Perhaps someone else can remember better than I?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:28 AM

Default Excellent Information Sources for Understanding & Recovery

All,

I didn't remember seeing if these links were noted in previous posts (94 pages is a lot to go through) but they were extremely helpful for me to read. At least for me these helped to explain what one would possibly/likely be going through and why, as well as how one manages to even be susceptible to something like the MP in the 1st place.

All important for getting over any self-doubt, self-blame, self-recrimination or any other depressive states one might be encountering and being able to move on.

Who Joins Cults and Why
Clinical Update on Cults - Psychiatric Times

Recovery from Cults
reFOCUS website

Hope this helps, all the best.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:55 AM

Default The Ethical issues with the MP

In determining for myself what the specific ethical issues are about leaving the MP. I looked for an objective standard that was not something that I concocted, but that could also be validated by my own experience as well as by others experiences.

The issue of tolerance, or more accurately the lack of it specifically for those questioning or even desiring to leave, and then making statements that your life will be miserable is a tell tale sign that all is not goodness with the MP.

Code of Ethics for Spiritual Guides
Council on Spiritual Practices - Code of Ethics

I am sure that others will be able to read this list and come up with more examples of behaviors that don't jive either. If you do please share as that will likely help others.

Cheers.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 AM

Default Characteristics of a Destructive Cult:

[Note: I cut and paste this from the reFOCUS website, I thought that it was worthy of being posted here]

1. Authoritarian pyramid structure with authority at the top

2. Charismatic or messianic leader(s) (Messianic meaning they either say they are God OR that they alone can interpret the scriptures the way God intended.....the leaders are self-appointed.)

3. Deception in recruitment and/or fund raising

4. Isolation from society -- not necessarily physical isolation like on some compound in Waco, but this can be psychological isolation -- the rest of the world is not saved, not Christian, not transformed (whatever) -- the only valid source of feedback and information is the group

5. Use of mind control techniques (we use Dr. Robert Jay Lifton's criteria from chapter 22 of his book "Thought Reform & the Psychology of Totalism" to compare whether the eight psychological and social methods he lists are present in the group at question)

Mileu Control: Control of the environment and communication within the environment

Mystical Manipulation: Seeks to promote specific patterns of behavior and emotion in such a way that it appears to have arisen spontaneously from within the environment, while it actually has been orchestrated totalist leaders claim to be agents chosen by God, history, or some supernatural force, to carry out the mystical imperative the "principles" (God-centered or otherwise) can be put forcibly and claimed exclusively, so that the cult and its beliefs become the only true path to salvation (or enlightenment)

Demand for Purity: The world becomes sharply divided into the pure and the impure, the absolutely good (the group/ideology) and the absolutely evil (everything outside the group) one must continually change or conform to the group "norm"; tendencies towards guilt and shame are used as emotional levers for the group's controlling and manipulative influences

Confession: Cultic confession is carried beyond its ordinary religious, legal and therapeutic expressions to the point of becoming a cult in itself sessions in which one confesses to one's sin are accompanied by patterns of criticism and self-criticism, generally transpiring within small groups with an active and dynamic thrust toward personal change

Sacred Science: The totalist milieu maintains an aura of sacredness around its basic doctrine or ideology, holding it as an ultimate moral vision for the ordering of human existence questioning or criticizing those basic assumptions is prohibited a reverence is demanded for the ideology/doctrine, the originators of the ideology/doctrine, the present bearers of the ideology/doctrine offers considerable security to young people because it greatly simplifies the world and answers a contemporary need to combine a sacred set of dogmatic principles with a claim to a science embodying the truth about human behavior and human psychology

Loading the Language: Words are given new meanings -- the outside world does not use the words or phrases in the same way -- it becomes a "group" word or phrase

Doctrine Over Person: If one questions the beliefs of the group or the leaders of the group, one is made to feel that there is something inherently wrong with them to even question -- it is always "turned around" on them and the questioner/criticizer is questioned rather than the questions answered directly the underlying assumption is that doctrine/ideology is ultimately more valid, true and real than any aspect of actual human character or human experience and one must subject one's experience to that "truth" the experience of contradiction can be immediately associated with guilt one is made to feel that doubts are reflections of one's own evil when doubt arises, conflicts become intense

Dispensing of Existence: Since the group has an absolute or totalist vision of truth, those who are not in the group are bound up in evil, are not enlightened, are not saved, and do not have the right to exist; impediments to legitimate being must be pushed away or destroyed one outside the group may always receive their right of existence by joining the group; fear manipulation -- if one leaves this group, one leaves God or loses their salvation/transformation, or something bad will happen to them; the group is the "elite", outsiders are "of the world", "evil", "unenlightened", etc.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Leaving MP behind - Awesome Help

In the interest of sharing more good info to assist in healing / moving on I found these two videos on YouTube, via the ISCA (International Cultic Studies Association) website.

Extremely worthwhile to watch. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Cult Recovery 201

Cult Recovery 202
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality