Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:10 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ah, I see. Only you have the truth.
Anyone who doesn't believe as you do is wrong? Interesting viewpoint.

I prefer being more open minded and allowing people to find their own truth.
Who said anything about MY truth? The truth I am talking about here is universal (catholic). It does not involve perspective.

Just wanted to chime in, did ya?

Liberal definition of open mind: Person who agrees with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
It doesn't matter how long the Catholic Church has been around. Look at what they have become today. A lot has changed in the last 2000 years!
Liturgy has somewhat evolved, but the core doctrine and moral teachings remain.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
John 8 v 32. 'You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.'

I would like to know which Christian religion has the truth from the Bible?
It really depends on who you ask.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM

17 posts, read 41,682 times
Quote:
Thank you for your answers.

It is true that I dont think there is a definitive answer to this question. It was just that in another thread, fundamentalist Christians are so sure THEY have the truth and malign moderates who say you can find your own truth.

I just wanted to see if there would be someone who would say something which would strike me as remarkably profound or stop me in my tracks.

I would say that if I was to believe in the God of the Bible, I would have to go along with the moderates. If there is only one way to God, then He is a useless communicator. How does the Sovereign Lord of the universe manage to have his sole written communication to man interpreted in 1000's of different ways? Even the fundamentalists cant agree amongst themselves, but they all think they have the sole truth and it is so obvious.

And I expected them to answer this thread the way they have done, in a condemnatory, dismissive manner, because they can only see an angry God who hates evil, dirty, imperfect humans and rubs his hands with glee as he anticipates their death and descent into the fires of hell. I feel sad for you.
Love is a distinguishing feature of true worship. Jesus likened finding true worship to finding the right road and choosing to walk on it. It is the only road that leads to everlasting life. Jesus said: “Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it.†(Matthew 7:13,*14) Only one body of true Christians walks unitedly with God on the road of true worship. Therefore, it does matter which religion you choose. If you find that road and choose to walk on it, you will have found the best way of life, for it is the way of love.—Ephesians 4:1-4.

Imagine what joy can be yours as you walk on the road of true worship! It is like walking with God. From God you can learn wisdom and love so as to enjoy good relationships with others. From him you can learn about the purpose of life, and you can understand God’s promises and have a hope for the future. You will never regret seeking true worship.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the one that effectively works. truth to be truth must be demonstrable.
otherwise just a bunch of human beliefs.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,571 times
hy iam slam iam new christien , i was muslim and i revert to Christianity, i live in muslim country and the people bother me here am not free , they are very rasist to me because iam christien , so i can't do my worship, i had 2 friends from usa they helped me but they put them to the prison , because they helped me to i revert to Christianity...... plllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzz i need help from anyone ..... that's my msn if anyone want to help me i will be very happy "summer_in_miami@live.com" thank u so much

Old 09-23-2008, 08:10 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,136 times
I started reading this post yesterday and as I was working today I couldn't keep my mind off of it.
I was thinking why do I believe?
What is the truth.
By nature I don't want to do what is right.
Who decided what is right?
Why do I strive to tell the the truth, not steal, remain faithful to my husband?
What has instilled this in me?
It is not my nature to do these things!
I would like to murder my dh sometimes what makes me forgive him without him asking me to or why do I continue to love him?
I have a job that it would be the easiest thing in the world to steal things and one one would ever know.
Why don't I ? I stole things when I was a child.
I could lie about things and make a lot more money, what stops me from doing this?
Fear of Hell? No I believe in once saved always saved past present and future.
It has to be that I believe in God and he sent his son to die for me.
I want to do what pleases God.
But how do I know what pleases God.
All these things I mentioned above would please me ( especially the murder) sorry just kidding.

When I have thoughts of cheating , stealing and all the rest I have a feeling of shame, don't do those things it is wrong.
Where does that come from?
Who decided what is right and what is wrong? Please myself, do what feels good, be true to myself, Find my own truth?
I am not the person I use to be since Jesus became my Savior.
The Holy Spirit lives with in me and convicts me of my wrong thoughts and sins.
There has to be a God or I would not be living now, I would have destroyed myself long ago.
I just had to get this out it has been in my thoughts all day.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:02 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,525 times
thefer,
I know what you mean...so many people say it is the fear of...well whatever it is that they believe will happen to them after they die that keeps them in line. Really though, you said it perfectly
Quote:
I want to do what pleases God.
It's about pleasing God. This weekend at our service, the speaker had a great analogy. He said, "Just like cars were made to be dependent on a fuel source, we as humans are created to have a dependency on our creator."
I see it in my own kids. Their little faces beaming when they get my or my husband's approval. Can't you remember when you were a kid yelling out, "Watch me!" as you did the same trick over and over again. We want that same approval from our creator.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
Quote:
John 8 v 32. 'You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.'

I would like to know which Christian religion has the truth from the Bible?

"By their fruits you will recognize them". Which religious organization follows the teachings of Christ and focuses on obedience to God, in spite of opposition and social pressures? Which one doesnt give in to tradition as an excuse to alter those principles? I think you guys know which one I think it is

Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
I believe that no religion has the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality