Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times

Advertisements

If there are planets out there that have sentient beings like us do you think they have religions? And for those of you who believe in a God, do you think that your religion would be the exact same on their planet as it is on our planet? In other words, would the aliens have crucified Jesus? Would Eve have taken the bite of the forbidden fruit on another planet? Would the Archangel Gabriel revealed himself to a "Muhammad"? What if your religion were entirely different on another planet because the circumstances and events unfolded differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:52 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
If there are planets out there that have sentient beings like us do you think they have religions? And for those of you who believe in a God, do you think that your religion would be the exact same on their planet as it is on our planet? In other words, would the aliens have crucified Jesus? Would Eve have taken the bite of the forbidden fruit on another planet? Would the Archangel Gabriel revealed himself to a "Muhammad"? What if your religion were entirely different on another planet because the circumstances and events unfolded differently?

Didn't you know? There are only atheists and agnostics on other planets

Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
Depends on how advanced they are. In a thousand years from now (assuming we have not blown ourselves up) I doubt there will be the religious fervor there is now. We will understand what makes things "tick" and the need for a god will have vanished.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Hay Troop, you already have an example of that right here on this planet, stop and think about that, long before Judaism, Christianity and Muslim there were native cultures, now just imagine what this planet would be like without those three basic religions....

Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I tend to think that human beings are so unique in terms of our nature and evolution that it is unlikely that advanced aliens on other planets would have an evolutionary history that even resembled our own. Out of all of the millions of species that have lived on the earth we're the only species that has religious beliefs. You don't see groups of dolphins or chimps getting together for Sunday services or having funerals for their relatives in which they pray for their eternal life. Of course I have no way of knowing this, it just seems to me that if intelligent life exists on other planets that it's likely that they would be so completely different than human beings that it might not even be possible to communicate with them and that they would have their own unique qualities that have evolved in a completely different manner that we would have a difficult time even grasping.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:03 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I tend to think that human beings are so unique in terms of our nature and evolution that it is unlikely that advanced aliens on other planets would have an evolutionary history that even resembled our own. Out of all of the millions of species that have lived on the earth we're the only species that has religious beliefs. You don't see groups of dolphins or chimps getting together for Sunday services or having funerals for their relatives in which they pray for their eternal life. Of course I have no way of knowing this, it just seems to me that if intelligent life exists on other planets that it's likely that they would be so completely different than human beings that it might not even be possible to communicate with them and that they would have their own unique qualities that have evolved in a completely different manner that we would have a difficult time even grasping.

Hey MontanaGuy, do you mean something like the elephants who supposedly show what is commonly termed as human traits, you know grieving for their departed members and protecting their young and their memory, imagine how they would have evolved without humans here.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Purely speculation and something to think about late at night beneath a big beautiful star filled sky..
My thoughts are... Not in our Universe, but I think it is possible that in other Universes beyond our time and space that it is very possible there are other planets that support life just as earth does, and that Christ could be, or has ,or will also walk those planets teaching the message of "universal love" from the creator..

Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
I actually tend to agree with Montana on this but for the sake of argument I have often heard it said by many who believe that if there were such a thing as aliens or life on other planets that it would be the result of a Creator. What I would like to know is IF there is such a thing as sentient aliens on another planet (beings with conscious awareness and thought processes) and you feel that it is the result of a Creator, do you think that your God would have presented himself in the same fashion or format on this other planet as it has done on Earth?

In other words, let's say that on another planet, your God created another version of Adam and Eve with the same laws - DON'T bite the forbidden fruit. Now, let's say that the Eve on this other planet didn't bite the fruit. That would make things very interesting wouldn't it? However, to look at it further, it would be almost impossible for your religion or even your God to present himself as the same God on another planet because much of what people believe is tied to history. Would there be such a thing as a Moses parting the Red Sea? Probably not. Moses was an Earthen creature and the armies chasing him were Earthen as well. But, many people believe that if there are aliens on another planet that it must be the result of a Creator. If that is the case, how do you think your Creator would present himself to that alien race? Because most surely it would have to be different than what happened here on Earth. Right?

Since many people believe that we have free will that would indicate that the onset of potential outcomes on another planet could make for a different "biblical" history, right? So, how do people think it might be presented? How would "Christianity" look on another planet?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,278 times
Hi GCSTroop,
I love speculating and trying to imagine all the possibilities. I don't think my religion would change very much. The requirements for worship wouldn't change because it would be the same God that we worship.
Would they respond differently? Would the same Satan be corrupting and tempting that world too? Would Adam and Eve disobey God and set in to motion the conditions we have today...I HAVE NO IDEA!

Old 09-28-2008, 11:31 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,278 times
Quote:
Since many people believe that we have free will that would indicate that the onset of potential outcomes on another planet could make for a different "biblical" history, right? So, how do people think it might be presented? How would "Christianity" look on another planet?
Yes, we do have free will...which if other sentient life forms were created on another planet I would assume God would dignify them with free will as well.
So yes, the outcome could be very different. Looking at the original purpose for humans on earth, we were supposed to be living forever under God's rulership with peace and security throughout our human community. Adam and Eve disobeyed and that was taken away from us (temporarily).
On another planet, they could have....
1- Followed God and proved Satan wrong and they would have still be living under God's rulership in perfect conditions.
2- the first "pair" obeyed and then future generations disobeyed...leading to some other consequence.

The requirements would still be the same, exclusive devotion to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality