Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,184 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if Brokeback Mountain caused any increase in tourism to Wyoming? I can't remember a movie showing the beauty of Wyoming (even though much of it was filmed in Canada) in such a way.

Also, did people go to see this movie because it depicted Wyoming? Just curious...

Old 09-29-2008, 07:42 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
I don't know whether people went to the movie because it depicted Wyoming, but I do know a lot of men who said that they would not go to the movie due to it being about gay cowboys. Although we'd not like to think that people are homophobic here, that tells us that there are those who are. I know many women who went to the movie but their husbands/sig. others, etc. would not go with them. So if that is any indication, I'd venture to say that more men are anti-gay than women.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me what people do in their private life. I thought it was a good movie myself.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:53 PM

116 posts, read 449,732 times
Delete, please.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:55 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I don't know whether people went to the movie because it depicted Wyoming, but I do know a lot of men who said that they would not go to the movie due to it being about gay cowboys. Although we'd not like to think that people are homophobic here, that tells us that there are those who are. I know many women who went to the movie but their husbands/sig. others, etc. would not go with them. So if that is any indication, I'd venture to say that more men are anti-gay than women.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me what people do in their private life. I thought it was a good movie myself.
I found the same to be true with the people I know. I can't imagine anyone thinking that was the norm for the state. It was just a movie that could have been set anywhere. My husband didn't watch it when it was on tv. I would say he is more anti-gay than I. I have some gay friends - he does not.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 AM

68 posts, read 233,727 times
Skunkape-why do you feel this should be deleted????

Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
The movie was filmed almost entirely in Canada. So, people watching the movie who are thinking they will see the scenery from the film when they visit Wyoming are in for a disappointment.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:42 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
I can't imagine anyone thinking that was the norm for the state.
well it is not unlike people thinking that the movie Fargo was an accurate representation of Minnesotans... though many of us natives think that "Grumpy Old Men" was closer to the truth.

I've not seen Brokeback Mountain yet, and I know my husband would not for the same reasons as other men mentioned above, but I'm with Georgia on this.. I don't care what people do in their private life, gay or straight. I also have many friends who are gay.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post

I dont think the mere fact that you arent interested in watching a movie like brokeback mountain proves you are homophobic or 'hate' gay people.I have no desire to watch 'the devil wears prada' or the 'sex in the city' movie either...that doesnt mean i 'hate' or 'fear' models or fashion .I didnt make a habit out of watching cartoons or childrens movies until i had children of my own....that didnt mean i hated or feared children.....I dont care what people do in their private lives either..many things dont interest me to 'watch' on the big screen,[or small],that hardly proves either 'fear or hate'.As i mentioned in a previous post i did actually read the book that contained the original story along with many other stories 'set'in wyoming.I found the book mostly overly dark and depressing,though well written and didn't enjoy it much.I did find ann proulxs previous book 'the shipping news' to also be rather dark but i did still enjoy that one to some extent.I see no reason why the movie would affect tourism one way or the other as to enjoy the movies scenery you would have to go to canada.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I dont think the mere fact that you arent interested in watching a movie like brokeback mountain proves you are homophobic or 'hate' gay people.I have no desire to watch 'the devil wears prada' or the 'sex in the city' movie either...that doesnt mean i 'hate' or 'fear' models or fashion .I didnt make a habit out of watching cartoons or childrens movies until i had children of my own....that didnt mean i hated or feared children.....I dont care what people do in their private lives either..many things dont interest me to 'watch' on the big screen,[or small],that hardly proves either 'fear or hate'.As i mentioned in a previous post i did actually read the book that contained the original story along with many other stories 'set'in wyoming.I found the book mostly overly dark and depressing,though well written and didn't enjoy it much.I did find ann proulxs previous book 'the shipping news' to also be rather dark but i did still enjoy that one to some extent.I see no reason why the movie would affect tourism one way or the other as to enjoy the movies scenery you would have to go to canada.
Let me clarify my post if I may. I didn't make it clear that the men who I personally talked to said they wouldn't go because it was about gay cowboys. If it had been a love story about a man & a woman with exactly the same story line except for the gender of the couple they would have gone to the movie. Sorry if some misunderstood as the men I was talking about are definitely homophobic. And yes, I do realize this wasn't the question the OP was about and I agree that being the movie wasn't filmed in Wyoming that it shouldn't affect tourism. However, there were probably quite a few viewers who assumed it was filmed here.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,775 times
Never have seen a movie that depicts Wyoming with any degree of accuracy - maybe because of the differing terrain-types within the state, i.e., The Dusty Badlands - with dustbowl and anthills included;
The North Slopes with their beauty and looming dangers; and The Other Slopes-which can be bland but wide open.
Never have seen a movie that depicts the people well. Just too many types.
I have noticed a sharp rise in gay females.
Seems every town has one known-gay male ... who lives ... and nobody knows where he can find partners to "be gay" with. Somebody is not talking.
I would definitely not recommend Wyoming as a state openly friendly to gays with lots of things to do and places to go designed for them - However, Utah - which is just down the road - is known for having one of the highest concentrations of gay people in one place (Salt Lake City) in the country. Wyoming just doesn't have time or penchant for the drama, I guess.And really, all those big ol' jacked-up trucks with the guns in back - they aren't compensation for anything ... just trying to see over the tourists and keep our eye on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality