Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:12 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,578,503 times

Advertisements

TKramer wrote:
Quote:
As long as he's doing his job, he doesn't have to associate himself with other sinners.

I don't even believe going to church is necessary...keep as separate from other people as possible. People are bad, people will try to hurt you.
That doesn't sound like a very healthy attitude. Are you suggesting that religious people should live their lives like some monk from 500 years ago? I don't mean this to sound rude or insensitive but your remarks make it sound like you're a very troubled person. Please don't take that as an insult, it wasn't intended as one, I would simply urge you to get out of your shell and realize that there's actually alot of good people in the world and it would benefit you to make a few friends of differing beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:29 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,022,986 times
My mom (a deeply devout, born-again Christian) had a description for people like this guy--"they're so heavenly minded that they're no earthly good".

Old 10-12-2008, 12:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
TKramer wrote:

That doesn't sound like a very healthy attitude. Are you suggesting that religious people should live their lives like some monk from 500 years ago? I don't mean this to sound rude or insensitive but your remarks make it sound like you're a very troubled person. Please don't take that as an insult, it wasn't intended as one, I would simply urge you to get out of your shell and realize that there's actually alot of good people in the world and it would benefit you to make a few friends of differing beliefs.
We'd be much better off if we were in a POSITION to be separate from other people. The fewer people you come into contact with, the more resources available for your own personal use.

However, population densities don't really lend to hermitage.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,561,894 times
Jesus said we are to be 'no part of this world'. While some people have a broader idea of what this means, I feel it is quite obvious when examined in light of other texts as well as 1st century Christian history. The early Christians did not get involved in political/ worldly interests and neither did Christ himself. They remained politically neutral, recognizing the sovreignty of God's Kingdom as the only hope for mankind. While it is true per the book of Romans that we are in 'subjection' to the superior authorities, this is evidently not a command to take sides on political issues, especially when doing so could very well make you party to some great dishonesty. Instead, we are to obey the governments that God allows to exist by remaining law abiding citizens in the face of great pressures.

So in answer to the original question...is this the way all Christians SHOULD be? I have to say, yes.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 PM

10 posts, read 14,817 times
wow. do you have any idea how it feels.your leaders are liers and murderers and thieves do you blame a soul for withdrawing.imagine how hard, no thank him for even talking to an american. are you people so anestasized are you without a brain a soul. the whole world hates us he sees more and is more in touch than you shallow fools could ever be.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 AM

27,242 posts, read 27,304,784 times
Though biblical times were much different than now, I think this guy's focus is more on not being a 'part of this world' in the sense that he doesnt want to live like some who'd primary focus is on riches and gold. Not that theres anything wrong with having either, but his primary sights are probably set on the 'things in heaven', being is how you cant take it with you. Joseph had to work. Some of Jesus' disciples worked. Jesus worked as a carpenter as a child. And as an adult, didnt he repeatedly tell the king "My kingdom is no part of this world...." when he was asked if he was a king and from where. Many had to work back then, to live. This guy is probably just working to survive, like the rest of us have to, and simply chooses not to be like some in the world, who live immoral or illegal lifestyles, who, for the most part, focus on 'earthly desires of the flesh' rather than 'treasures stored in the heavens'? No one is perfect, we all have our imperfections, but he's probably trying to steer clear of as much as he can? My guess.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 PM

31 posts, read 151,639 times
May be he would have liked to be a priest, but could not , but he still has to work to support himself/family. God doesnt seem to be delivering manna and cash in private even to people like that.
For centuries people have tried to have a huge hope and idealisation of life after death. Like utopia.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,557,451 times
It may sound harsh but he sounds like a complete fruitcake and rather selfish in the process too if he truly is that dedicated .

To be Human , one must engage with our World, regardless of how imperfect and difficult it may be to deal with. To neglect the temporal altogether seems almost criminal as our actions and lack of therein is what contributes to the world we make.

Ignoring the harsh, unpleasant and often even cruel environment mankind lives in is to exhibit an almost sociopathic lack of interest, empathy and compassion towards others and I cannot imagine his/her God would be terribly pleased or impressed at this kind of behaviour.

Mankind's spirituality may come from within but if not fired by what is on the outside becomes in my opinion completely meaningless. If one cuts oneself off completely from the outside world one becomes an emotional and social cripple of gigantic proportions and it is extremely harmful.

Our humanity is here for the sharing, as repugnant or insignificant as some traits humans may exhibit.

Without a profound understanding and interest in Humanity we become "soul-less" shells and lose all that makes us valuable human beings.

Social interaction on some levels seems to me a prerequisite of what makes us good and worthwhile individuals.

If we do not open our eyes to the temporal we can never truly open our heart to the plight of those less fortunate than ourselves, we can never grasp the true beauty of Art, Science, Nature and to me if one is religious we can never truly grasp the beauty of God either. Surely to engage fully , and with courage into God's own creation, is to truly gaze into its true face ?

I do not understand how anyone could wish to discard the temporal when it can bring comfort and help to others, when it can help us redress injustice, when it can help us address our own short-comings as human beings.

To turn one's back to the now is to close oneself from the eternal nature of mankind and nature in its awesome glory and it seems incredibly stupid, selfish and dare I say it cowardly.

The Religious people I personally admire most as an Atheist are those who with great tolerance and endurance of spirit embrace humanity with all its faults, those who do not shy away from the temporal in pursuit of some personal "holy grail" of spiritual quest.

Quakers who for example have always through dignified and courageous actions dealt with temporal issues live slavery and war. These are the true spiritual "behemoths", the true followers of a God whose creation they revere and embrace, warts and all.

To try and improve the things we disapprove of, we have to think and act. We have to be pro-active. Passivity and Apathy are unforgiveable.

To do nothing and wait for some perceived Elysian fields of spirituality confines us to moral oblivion . It is a cowardly way out of having to be and do.

Life is a great mass of pain, grief, pleasures and most of all learning. Learning about others enable us to fully comprehend who we are, and how to "proceed" from there onwards. The world is full of dualities , good, evil, beauty and ugliness, pain and pleasure, love and hatred etc.... The world is us. We are the world. All of us, the great mass of confused little "ants" staring at the heavens for answers to questions.

Living like a socially retarded sociopath is hardly a good way to come to grasp with what our humanity is all about.

How can one even claim to be only interested in the spiritual when he has a job , presumably buys items/food from temporal shops, may have children ( which let's face it come through very temporal means !) , drives a car, etc...

Unless that guy truly lives as a self sufficient hermit in a cave somewhere I suspect this is more posture and pose than anything else....

Old 01-08-2009, 07:54 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,383,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
The one and only question I would ask him would be "Wasn't Jesus somewhat 'engaged' in the world when he walked this earth? He seemed fairly 'involved' with others and those around Him..."

June's best response, but what does June know?

Take gentle worldly care.
I would agree with this. Jesus was criticized for even associating and dining with sinners. I've often wondered why it is that many of those who claim not to be religious, are in fact closer to the understanding of what the bible actually teaches, when you compare their statements to those of the so-called believing posters. Hmmmmm

Having said that and back to the original post, it's really hard to get an accurate account of what actually took place when someone relates a story. Well at least anyway for me. First off, I was'nt there, so I could only speculate as others here have done about what actually transpired in the supposed conversation. If the individual did'nt associate because his co-workers liked going to the bar after work and downing several brewkies, than I can understand that might bother his conscience and be a personal choice and matter. Again, I don't really know the true story, as I was'nt there in this specific instance.

As far as World/National/Local News items go, I suppose that is a personal descision. However, even in the Bible Jesus said you'd hearing about wars and reports of wars, just don't be freightened. If the Christian is doing what he should with regard to personal bible reading, study and prayer, then no amount of bad news should be an issue. Of course we're all imperfect and often subject to imperfect failing called "fear of man".

Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,042,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I have a friend at work who is not concerned with pretty much anything. He is completely cut off from the issues of the day or interpersonal or politcal events in the office. He is not concerned with the news of the election or the economy. He rarely socializes with anyone outside of church.

He tells me that worldly issues are unimportant and petty. He is only interested in Godly things and worshiping the Lord.

Is he the way everyone should be?

What right do you have to suggest otherwise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality