Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:31 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,104,838 times

Advertisements

A lot of these threads that have been getting bumped here lately are really old.

Anyhow, I don't get how anyone can be like the guy mentioned in the OP, but hey, if he rarely socializes with anyone outside his church, that means he won't be bothering me or anybody else who isn't a believer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 PM

190 posts, read 241,732 times
If that is what he desires then, I don't see anything wrong with that..we are all suppose to be a certain way..desire the things of God not the world...we are in the world but not of the world...it is a good thing to set our eyes on things above not on earthly things

Old 11-14-2009, 10:23 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,051,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1256 View Post
If that is what he desires then, I don't see anything wrong with that..we are all suppose to be a certain way..desire the things of God not the world...we are in the world but not of the world...it is a good thing to set our eyes on things above not on earthly things
We know, you fundies are all outta this reality world the rest of us live in - ya know escapism, fantasizing, dreamin', personal relationships with invisible friends etc.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,886,615 times
yes that is his faith, just as your might be worldly things, his is godly things

Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,399,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I have a friend at work who is not concerned with pretty much anything. He is completely cut off from the issues of the day or interpersonal or politcal events in the office. He is not concerned with the news of the election or the economy. He rarely socializes with anyone outside of church.

He tells me that worldly issues are unimportant and petty. He is only interested in Godly things and worshiping the Lord.

Is he the way everyone should be?
Sure, if one wants to live in a cave with nothing but a bible to curl up with.

Question, does he vote?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,399,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1256 View Post
So one shouldn't pay attention to their paycheck to make sure they are recieving just compensation for their work?

One shouldn't check with their pharmacist to be sure their new 'script won't have any deadly side effects with a current medication?

One should either not bother voting and/or not bothering to check and see if that person you were going to vote for is who they say they are?

One shouldn't check the expiration date on that dairy product?

BTW, what did people do before your god came onto the scene some 3,000 years ago?

Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 AM

81 posts, read 93,804 times
As a 74-year-old student of Jewish history, the historical Jesus, Christian beginnings, and the formation of the New Testament who's been studying these subjects for over 40 years, it is my opinion that this man who wants to follow God's ways rather than man's ways is confused. One of the ways of man is to express in writing their take on the divine and its relationship to human beings and the rest of the world. In India they wrote the Vedas, the Upanishads, and the Mahabharata. The Buddha's followers tried to sum up his teachings in the Sutras (although admittedly, he wasn't too interested in the divine). And other cultures produced different stories about man and God or the gods. In other words, what biblically-oriented people see as God's Word is man's word on what they think is God's Word and how they've experienced the divine. Many Christians say, "There is God's Wisdom and there is man's wisdom" but they are one and the same. The Bible never claims to be the Word of God (using 2 Timothy 3:16) is to engage in a circular argument. It also never claims to be without error, inconsistency or contradiction. And it never says it should be read literally. All these statements are about the Bible, not in the bible: they are part of the "wisdom" of man.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:16 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,056,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I have a friend at work who is not concerned with pretty much anything. He is completely cut off from the issues of the day or interpersonal or politcal events in the office. He is not concerned with the news of the election or the economy. He rarely socializes with anyone outside of church.

He tells me that worldly issues are unimportant and petty. He is only interested in Godly things and worshiping the Lord.

Is he the way everyone should be?
Depends on the faith he follows.

In my opinion, we have been given certain resources, intelligence, and a limited time. And the actual test is to live your day to day life (that includes but not limited to: pursuit of knowledge that benefits humanity, work towards the betterment of society, taking care of our families and make an honest living, be nice and kind towards our neighbors, fellow humans animals and nature, save resources and practice a full honesty in our day to day (business, work and social related) dealings with other people, have fun and relaxation and enjoyment in your life within certain limits. And also worship and praise God.

My faith does not appreciate it, if I isolate myself from the world and go live in some deep woods and praise the lord day n night. Naw, that's not the real test. And that's not what it's all about.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:36 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,210,090 times
The Anglo-Saxon monks weren't interested in the ways of this world and then they were attacked by Vikings.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,497,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The Anglo-Saxon monks weren't interested in the ways of this world and then they were attacked by Vikings.
deal with whats in front of you.

independent of atheism and theism would seem to be most logical. But the sad fact is that we have to protect ourselves from people that need theism and/or atheism to run our world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality