U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 AM

485 posts, read 1,761,889 times

Advertisements

My brother in law is one of the most religious people I know. He is very active in the church and talks about God and religion all the time. He is active in church activities, committees, outreach and volunteer programs. He is a real man of the Church.

But my brother in law is also one of the biggest jerks in the world. He is uncommunicative, unfriendly, cold, distant, and aloof. He seems to have no respect of anyone and if you do try to talk to him, he will just stare unless he is in the mood to talk. His aloof and cold manner is not just to me but to everyone he meets outside of church.

If he is following the teachings of God, he would be friendly, open and communicative to everyone even if the chemistry was not right. Don't you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 AM

7,915 posts, read 17,952,093 times
The BTK killer was also very active in church and was caught by police because he was linked to a church computer. Nevertheless people have a wide variety of personalities whether they're religious or not and it wouldn't be realistic to expect all of the friendly people to also happen to be religious. There are friendly atheists (like myself) and there are rude and arrogant atheists. The same is true for religious people. Some will be wonderful people and some will be total jerks.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,781,822 times
You will have to look at the percentage of Atheists vs. Religious. Then look down the history lane and see who is naughty and who is nice.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 AM

22,638 posts, read 32,696,190 times
Matthew 7:23 "Not all people who sound religious are really godly. They may refer to Me as Lord, but they still won't enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in Heaven".
Some people think all you have to do is go to church, say a few religious things and that's it, but if you talk it, you better live it. It's not about religion, but a relationship with Jesus.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 10-01-2008 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,891,082 times
Sometimes but not always. I've come across a few "religious" types who let's just say wore their halos too tight.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:21 PM

29,137 posts, read 49,014,261 times
I second what MontanaGuy said... jerks exist in every walk of life, so being religious doesn't mean you are a nice person. We have plenty of a-holes in my religion (Judaism) too, including a certain Rabbi I know personally. But like ILNC said, if you believe in a higher spirit, you'd better walk the walk and not just talk the talk!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 PM

17 posts, read 57,264 times
Unfortunately human nature isn't so simple as to have a strong correlation with the trait of unfriendliness to a certain religious belief. (e.g. there are many friendly atheists, friendly agnostics, and friendly religious people)

That said, your brother in law may not have very high self-esteem and uses Church to affiliate with society because he lacks confidence in other areas of his life. Though that is presumptuous because I havn't know the guy, just basing it on what you said.

Religion # friendliness

Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 PM

613 posts, read 1,234,111 times
being human makes you want to be friendly and nice. The people that aren't have a block in their consiousness, such as hate, fear, pain, and ect. They have become addicted to these emotions. We all feel them but our consiousness attemts to overcome them. The problem is that emotions actually have a chemical make up, and it's addicting. So when you feel these emotions repeatedly or just at a high dose your brain starts to produce a lot more of the chemicals needed for them, and sometimes actually produces it continually.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:11 AM

18,776 posts, read 16,696,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
My brother in law is one of the most religious people I know. He is very active in the church and talks about God and religion all the time. He is active in church activities, committees, outreach and volunteer programs. He is a real man of the Church.

But my brother in law is also one of the biggest jerks in the world. He is uncommunicative, unfriendly, cold, distant, and aloof. He seems to have no respect of anyone and if you do try to talk to him, he will just stare unless he is in the mood to talk. His aloof and cold manner is not just to me but to everyone he meets outside of church.

If he is following the teachings of God, he would be friendly, open and communicative to everyone even if the chemistry was not right. Don't you think?
i agree if someone is really living the beauty and love of god, then that goodwill extends to everyone, not just certain people at certain times

if someone "talks" about religion, but does not "practice what they preach" then the words are empty and that in my book is hypocrisy

lots of people talk the talk
it is something else altogether to live it, to actually walk the talk

actions speak louder than words, when a person's words and actions don't match, actions are what is telling the truth about the person

Old 10-03-2008, 10:14 AM

44,255 posts, read 60,122,933 times
Some of the nicest, friendliest, and most generous people I know are not religious.

I don't think they have to go hand-in-hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality