Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
MADISON, Wis. — The nation's largest group of atheists and agnostics is suing President Bush, the governor of Wisconsin and other officials over the federal law designating a National Day of Prayer.
The Freedom From Religion Foundation sued Friday in U.S. district court, arguing that the president's mandated proclamations calling on Americans to pray violates a constitutional ban on government officials endorsing religion.
The day of prayer, held each year on the first Thursday of May, creates a "hostile environment for nonbelievers, who are made to feel as if they are political outsiders," the lawsuit said.
The national proclamation issued this year asked God's blessings on our country and called for Americans to observe the day with appropriate programs, ceremonies and activities.
Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle is named in the suit because he is one of 50 governors who issued proclamations calling for the prayer day. The foundation is based in Madison.
Shirley Dobson, chairwoman of the National Day of Prayer Task Force, and White House press secretary Dana Perino also are named.
The foundation has filed numerous lawsuits in recent years, including one rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court last year that attacked President Bush's faith-based initiative.
The White House and Doyle spokesman Lee Sensenbrenner had no comment on the lawsuit. A message seeking comment from the task force was not returned Friday.
OK, I'm not taking sides on this story, I'll just see where the thread goes. I'll be damned if I agree and damned if I disagree.

FOXNews.com - Atheists Sue President Over National Prayer Day - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-04-2008 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: moderation comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 10:32 PM

789 posts, read 1,334,268 times
Maybe the second Thursday in May can be National Adhan Day. The third can be National Puja Day. The last day in May can be National Atheist Day.

Or... Government could stop promoting religion.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Maybe the second Thursday in May can be National Adhan Day. The third can be National Puja Day. The last day in May can be National Atheist Day.

Or... Government could stop promoting religion.
I agree with you 100%. The United States was founded on the premise of the separation of church and state. IMO, the Federal Government is prohibited by the First Amendment to the Constitution from designating any day pr period of time specifically for the practice of the Christian, Jewish, Islamic or any other organized religion. In this case, I support the atheists in their efforts to derail the Federal Government's designation of a "National Day of Prayer.

Quote:
U.S. Constitution - Amendment 1

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:19 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
As much as I'd like to tell the opponents to chill out,
as a Christian who fears any type of fundamentalism or theocracy,
I tend to agree with them.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:32 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
More evidence that America is ripe for judgment. How a nation conceived in righteousness as America was, and blessed by God until made a superpower, could turn her back on the God that made her great and become such a bastion of evil and wickedness is simply amazing. The fury of God's wrath will soon rain upon America, and then we will be humbled.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
More evidence that America is ripe for judgment. How a nation conceived in righteousness as America was, and blessed by God until made a superpower, could turn her back on the God that made her great and become such a bastion of evil and wickedness is simply amazing. The fury of God's wrath will soon rain upon America, and then we will be humbled.
Reading the life and times of Elmer Gantry, or Billy Graham or Jerry Fallwell or ...? Well..., I guess that I'm going to Hell in a hand basket!

Old 10-04-2008, 12:57 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Secularism isn't wicked or evil, it's fair.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
I don't see this as a complex issue. It's very clear that we have a separation of church and state which has been unheld by the Supreme Court in various cases. This is an inappropriate manner in which people who are religious can declare a certain day to be an officially sanctioned prayer day. Obviously we're not going to see any offically sanctioned atheist day or anything of that nature. Our government, whether it's national, state or local are prohibited from promoting a religious agenda and there are a great number of religious organizations, churches, etc. that should be involved in this sort of activity as opposed to the government itself which is supposed to remain neutral in these matters. It's just another example in which religious politicians who are supposed to be familiar with our constitution and history are displaying their ignorance of the constitution or perhaps they're just playacting to gain political support even though they are well aware that what they're promoting is specifically prohibited but they're doing it anyway because it might get them more votes.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 PM

[quote=MontanaGuy;5550592]I don't see this as a complex issue. It's very clear that we have a separation of church and state which has been unheld by the Supreme Court in various cases. This is an inappropriate manner in which people who are religious can declare a certain day to be an officially sanctioned prayer day. Obviously we're not going to see any offically sanctioned atheist day or anything of that nature. Our government, whether it's national, state or local are prohibited from promoting a religious agenda and there are a great number of religious organizations, churches, etc. that should be involved in this sort of activity as opposed to the government itself which is supposed to remain neutral in these matters. It's just another example in which religious politicians who are supposed to be familiar with our constitution and history are displaying their ignorance of the constitution or perhaps they're just playacting to gain political support even though they are well aware that what they're promoting is specifically prohibited but they're doing it anyway because it might get them more votes.[/quote]

Excellent post! The fact that the general election is less than 30 days away does not escape me, nor the politicians on and off the campaign trails. This "National Day of Prayer" is just another example of a "gimmick" to curry the favor of undecided voters, many of whom are composed of Evangelicals and religious groups. Many of these Independents are still "on the fence" for November. Advantage; McCain and the Republican Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality