Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:10 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,178 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that people can predict the future?

If you don't, would you believe it if there was pretty damned good evidence for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,362 times
If you mean like Nostrodamus predicted the future...no. I don't believe in visions and psychic powers. But I DO believe that some people are extremely intuitive and seem to have a sixth sense about things. Not sure why some of us and not all of us...possibly it has to do with our ability to notice and retain information, and how we "see" situations around us.

I am, however, always open to new information myself, so if someone could show me specific evidence I would be inclined to listen. I have experienced deja vu's, some of them almost breath-taking, but that has nothing to do with predicting the future. Not sure what causes that feeling of "I've done this before". Perhaps a previous life memory?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
If you mean like Nostrodamus predicted the future...no. I don't believe in visions and psychic powers. But I DO believe that some people are extremely intuitive and seem to have a sixth sense about things. Not sure why some of us and not all of us...possibly it has to do with our ability to notice and retain information, and how we "see" situations around us.

I am, however, always open to new information myself, so if someone could show me specific evidence I would be inclined to listen. I have experienced deja vu's, some of them almost breath-taking, but that has nothing to do with predicting the future. Not sure what causes that feeling of "I've done this before". Perhaps a previous life memory?
There were many times in my life, often mundane matters such as the purchase of a product, or the time to leave for an event, etc. in which I would research as well as I could and make what I thought was the most logical decision possible based on the facts available. My mom would make decisions by the 'seat of her pants'. My decision would frequently be wrong and hers almost always correct, often due to unforeseen circumstances.

She had, what I normally call, many happy 'coincidences' in her life decisions. More of these 'coincidences' than were my fate, it seemed.

Do I believe my mother was psychic? We never discussed it, and I doubt if she could have 'tested' well, but when it came to making those day to day practical 'gut' decisions, I was dumbfounded at her accuracy.

Things like driving to a crowded mall and finding a parking space easily. Or, taking the longer route to visit and hearing of the traffic jam or accident in the normal route later. Or, being normally punctual, arriving late to work one day for no real reason but being slower that morning and hearing that a guy with a rifle had been on the roof of the next building earlier shooting at those on the street.

How do some people plan their lives and work hard and try to make all the right moves and continually find obstacles in their path, while some others just seem to have the path through life cleared before them?

Human beings and our lives do not seem to be things that can be programmed in a computer, as though if we gave a kid a perfect background and education, etc, we would be guaranteed a successful life. There are variables, I think, that are commonly in play every day that will cause different outcomes. Variables that may be so commonplace that we take them for granted. One of those can be a sixth sense about danger lurking as the outcome of a particular action or choice.

This may be a residual from when we were more primitive and required all of our senses to survive and were frequently faced with life or death situations. We may have developed such a mechanism to cope. Our logical brains and civilization and our early training, fostering much logical thought, may have diminished the ability in most of us. We are not faced with such unpredictable dangers.

I do not consider that such abilities necessarily reflect a person's spiritual development, though it may. I just think that some of us are born with a higher math or language aptitude and others circumvent logic and make those gut decisions and live their lives just fine.

I think Freud said that most of our decisions were made at a deeper level and our rational 'reasons' were our trying to make sense of those choices, fooling ourselves.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,312 times
No I do not believe that anyone can predict the future. But as I've said before anyone can make vague claims, and someone later on can looks for parts of the claim and place them onto real events and then voila!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:33 PM

789 posts, read 1,334,674 times
If someone is able to predict the future that would mean the future is predetermined. I don't believe that.

I agree with arod0331.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:42 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
No, I don't believe it's possible because that would mean that in some sense that the future already exists and is somehow sending back messages to us. There have been countless predictions and of course the ones that are wrong are ignored or quickly forgotten while the few that are bound to be right every once in awhile just by sheer chance are going to get alot of attention. In order for me to even consider this possibility I would have to see examples that are so precise and include so much detail without making any mistakes that they couldn't possibly be confused with any other event. Every prediction I've ever heard is vague and the language that is used is so general that it could describe many things. It foretelling the future was really possible I think that in our fairly long written human history that it would have been documented and proven by now.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:05 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,776 times
Not exactly there's too many variables but I think it's about as acurret as explaining the past

Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,290 times
The way i see it, you can "predict" certain things because of your intuition, previous experiences, "been there, done that" type of things. So you can be 100% correct to predict specific event, because you know it's going to be a result of your own action.
As far as predicting ahead of time for such events as Nostradamus predictions, no, i don't believe in those.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:14 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
No I do not believe that anyone can predict the future. But as I've said before anyone can make vague claims, and someone later on can looks for parts of the claim and place them onto real events and then voila!
So when the Bible states that in the latter years the Jewish people will return to the land of Israel after a world wide exile, and settle in south Israel first, and then by force retake Jerusalem second. And their move to Israel angers the nations. And all of this happens when the nations of the East will be able to raise up a 200 million man army.
Then Christians living in the 1600s and 1800s agree with that prophecy and write books about it, and then many years latter the Jews actually do return to south Israel, and they do retake Jerusalem second snf by force, and this does anger the nations, and this does happen after a world wide exile, and the nations of the East now can field an army of 200 million men.

Do you believe this is vague?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,178 times
Well I asked this because I'm wondering about how far do we entertain the idea of something which is inherently paradoxical.

With the foresight example, I imagine 2 people with the ability to see the future. They are trying to guess what each other is going to do before they do it. Every line of thought from here on leads to a paradox where at least one of them is wrong about their premonition which should'nt be if they were really able to predict the future.

So let's say someone claims to predict the future. They have good evidence of their claims but their explanation as to how it works makes no logical sense and contradict themselves in places. Do we accept the person's paradoxical explanation? Do we accept that the person can predict the future by unknown means? or do we scratch it out and look for other, more plausible explanations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality