Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I would have a problem with anybody trying to push their religion on me. The thing is, 99% of the time, it's Christians. Buddhists and Hindus generally don't care what other people believe, however, they'll tell you all about their religion if you ask.
Also because we are exposed to Christianity so much we lose interest in it. There was a time when the parables of Jesus were interesting but just like a re-run of an old episode of the Simpsons, it's lost the appeal and left me wanting to learn about esoteric beliefs like Baha'i Hinduism and even Shinto .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrogers22 View Post
(Matthew 28:19-20)

“Great Commission”:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Jesus gave this command to the Apostles shortly before He ascended into Heaven, and it essentially outlines what Jesus expected the Apostles, and those who followed them, to do in His absence.

I came across this thread in the Christian site , also a thread on why Mormons feel the need to convert others. A ex Mormon replyed it was about money and power or maybe it has to do with what you read up above. Its discouraging
Yes, I replied on the Christianity forum as well. I believe it is our responsibility to teach others about God's purposes. But it can be done in an organized and tactful way. I take part in a door to door ministry but I also feel telephone and email has good results. Letter-writing is likewise productive. You go where the people are.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Yes, I replied on the Christianity forum as well. I believe it is our responsibility to teach others about God's purposes. But it can be done in an organized and tactful way. I take part in a door to door ministry but I also feel telephone and email has good results. Letter-writing is likewise productive. You go where the people are.

In that case, please do not go to where I am unless I invite you...

Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
[/b]

In that case, please do not go to where I am unless I invite you...
We do our work by territory which means you will almost certainly see us as your door. However, if you ask us not to call again, we will be glad to make a note on the territory card that you do not wish to be visited.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
We do our work by territory which means you will almost certainly see us as your door. However, if you ask us not to call again, we will be glad to make a note on the territory card that you do not wish to be visited.
How absolutely presumptuous to assume that I would want you at my door to begin with.
Do you realize how much damage you do to your cause when you come uninvited to people's space?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:00 PM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Please put me on your do not call list...Do not knock on my door, call me on the phone, or write me a letter....I don't care about the e-mail, as it will be deleted with all the other spam. I find this behavior rude and obnoxious and another nail in the coffin of christianity.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
How absolutely presumptuous to assume that I would want you at my door to begin with.
Do you realize how much damage you do to your cause when you come uninvited to people's space?
Do the girl scouts do damage? What about trick or treaters? Door to door salesman? Most people accept those visitors without complaint or more than a mild feeling of imposition. And we feel that our message is far more important than anything those people have to offer.

This work that we do was practiced by Jesus himself and he gave instructions for his apostles to continue that work. The first century congregation went from door to door as well. Many times they were not wanted and the persecution they experienced was far greater than most of us will ever experience. Regardless of how much damage you feel results from this activity, there are countless others who are happy to see us. Who feel that we are an answer to a prayer. Who are grateful for the time we devote to this service. Finding just one of these ones makes any ammount of rejection worth it.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Please put me on your do not call list...Do not knock on my door, call me on the phone, or write me a letter....I don't care about the e-mail, as it will be deleted with all the other spam. I find this behavior rude and obnoxious and another nail in the coffin of christianity.

hee hee. Put sanspeur on my 'do not call' list? How do you suggest I do that? Feel free to call the local Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses and inform them of your address. I'm sure they will mark it down.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Do the girl scouts do damage? What about trick or treaters? Door to door salesman? Most people accept
those visitors without complaint or more than a mild feeling of imposition.

However, this work that we do was practiced by Jesus himself and he gave instructions for his apostles to continue that work. The first century congregation went from door to door as well. Many times they were not wanted and the persecution they experienced was far greater than most of us will ever experience. Regardless of how much damage you feel results from this activity, there are countless others who are happy to see us. Who feel that we are an answer to a prayer. Who are grateful for the time we devote to this service. Finding just one of these ones makes any ammount of rejection worth it.
Who I invite into my home is up to me, not up to you as the entitled door xian.

I don't care one whit about your jebus. I don't want you to try to sell your fairy tales to me at my home or anywhere else. I want you to respect my rights to have freedom from your religious beliefs.

What I especially dislike about door xians is their presumption and blatant disrespect for the rights of others.

I have a no solicitors sign on my door as well as this one (because xians never seem to understand that they are also soliciting):

Unique designs on CafePress gifts, t-shirts and more

Old 10-14-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't care one whit about your jebus.
I don't want you to try to sell your fairy tales to me at my home or anywhere else.

What I especially dislike about door xians is their presumption.
You will never be invited to my home.
Who I invite into my home is up to me, not up to you as the pushy door xian.

I have a no solicitors sign on my door as well as this one (because xians never seem to understand that they are also soliciting):

Unique designs on CafePress gifts, t-shirts and more

Then tell us so when we visit. Far from being pushy, most of us will kindly thank you for your time and wish you a pleasant day. We are not soliciting because we aren't selling a thing. We offer free home bible studies to those who want them. If you have no interest in the bible, simply tell us so.

Keep in mind, we believe the message we share is a lifesaving one. If your next door neighbor came by unannounced and uninvited to say that a major storm was coming and encouraged you to take cover, would you resent him as well? You and your neighbor may have completely different ideas of what constitues a 'major storm' but would you begrudge him his good intentions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality